• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mitt fires a warning shot

It lasted one fucking day, good try good effort.

“I would vote for the border wall,” Romney, former Republican presidential candidate, told CNN’s Jake Tapper in a Wednesday afternoon interview.

Profiles in courage.

I honestly feel bad for Republicans who think Romney is a principled man. He should be. He seems like he is because he’s learned how to portray a principled man. But he isn’t.

He’s just a son of a wealthy politician who made his fortune adding no value to society. He spends his money gaining influence through politics and religion. He believes he is destined to be President as a result so he will play whatever games he needs to play to make it happen.

It lasted one fucking day, good try good effort.

“I would vote for the border wall,” Romney, former Republican presidential candidate, told CNN’s Jake Tapper in a Wednesday afternoon interview.

Shocker. With Flake gone, I guess somebody was going to step up and fill the role of Senate Republican who verbally slaps Trump on the wrist while voting for 95%-plus of his agenda, and Romney has apparently decided to fill it. Collins and Sasse must be jealous. I envision an op-ed from Collins in which she also decries Trump's behavior and follows up by continuing to vote lock-step with Trump's wishes. Senate Republicans are like lemmings who complain loudly while they still follow their leader off the cliff: "He's an idiot, just look at him jump. Well, away we go!"

I appreciate that NED still has some Republican blood left in the body and wants it to be respectable again, but Romney is just a season spineless as the rest

It’s like rooting for the pope to call bullshit on the entire Catholic Church. A lot of hoping for someone to grow some balls and stand up for what’s right...but the hope never translates into action.

Because bullshit is the foundation of the GOP.

Why in the world would he block the GOP agenda? He’s a pub.

#NeverTrump has never been about blocking the GOP agenda. Instead, it’s a rejection of Trump’s horrible personality—his “grab them by the pussy,” his inability to be civil, his racist statements, his self-centeredness, etc. Sometimes these traits impact policy—like Trump’s efforts to aggrandize executive power, his appointments, etc.—but, generally speaking, Trump’s policies are pub policies.

I’m glad to see Mitt in Congress, and I’m hopeful that this op-ed portends some push back from the right against Trump’s divisiveness. On this front, it seems that almost everyone else has either rolled over, died, or left.

And yet most Republican voters eat up Trump’s antics and beg for more. They love that the guy is blatantly sexist, racist and boorish. Hence why he beat a million other other GOP candidates. That’s what the party is now.

Which gets us to the racist desire for the wall. A monument to white fear of brown people.

The “civil” never Trumpers don’t like that this administration says the quiet parts loud. Used to be they could operate more under the radar with oppressive policies and grifting. The swamp used to work much more in th background but now they are literally just putting industry lobbyists in cabinet level positions.

#NeverTrump has never been about blocking the GOP agenda. Instead, it’s a rejection of Trump’s horrible personality—his “grab them by the pussy,” his inability to be civil, his racist statements, his self-centeredness, etc. Sometimes these traits impact policy—like Trump’s efforts to aggrandize executive power, his appointments, etc.—but, generally speaking, Trump’s policies are pub policies.

I’m glad to see Mitt in Congress, and I’m hopeful that this op-ed portends some push back from the right against Trump’s divisiveness. On this front, it seems that almost everyone else has either rolled over, died, or left.

This here is why we have Trump and the GOP continues to support him. Mitt (or any other Republican in power) refuses to do something meaningful to rebuke Trump or McConnell (who buried the investigation into Russian interference in 2016) because they care more about getting some more unqualified judges seated than the long-term well being of their country. Who cares if there is a historic amount of illegal, unethical, and immoral shit going on if you're still getting your way.

They love Trump so much that the RNC has aligned directly with the Trump campaign which has never happened before. Now there is a growing effort to forgo the 2020 GOP presidential primary to protect Trump. Republicans worship Trump. They love the foul talking bully. He brings about massive amounts of liberal tears. He must be the absolute best.

Which is why I’m glad Mitt is confronting him. Pubs need a leader who presents a counterbalance to Trump’s boorishness. I don’t know if Mitt will be able to turn people from Trump, but I’m hopeful, and I’m glad to see someone taking a public stand.

there's nothing a Conservative loves more than sophistry

Which is why I’m glad Mitt is confronting him. Pubs need a leader who presents a counterbalance to Trump’s boorishness. I don’t know if Mitt will be able to turn people from Trump, but I’m hopeful, and I’m glad to see someone taking a public stand.

In what way is he presenting a counterbalance?

I largely disagree with this. As a proud member of #nevertrump, many of us have gone out of our way (including risking careers) to publicly admonish and block the entire Republican Party. There have been countless articles written by never trump conservatives who have argued that the absolute destruction of today’s party is the only way to save it. A lot of nevertrumpers (including myself) have gone as far as voting, volunteering and shilling for Democrats in an effort to act as a reasonable check against an authoritarian party run amok.

Unfortunately this energy in the conservative intelligentsia and the grassroots has never translated to elected officials...which has been enormously frustrating to watch.

No it’s not. Since at least November 2016, #NeverTrump has just been a whinier version of the segment of the GOP that thinks Trump’s behavior is boorish or even dangerous but that passing the (wildly unpopular) GOP agenda is more important.

If you will forgive the metaphor mangling, here, it’s the baby that has made the bath water dirty. We just need to throw out the baby, add some more water, and we’ll be fine.

Trump is a representation of the base of the party that's always been there.

If you will forgive the metaphor mangling, here, it’s the baby that has made the bath water dirty. We just need to throw out the baby, add some more water, and we’ll be fine.

If you’re saying that Trump is the one corrupting the party and by removing him, you’ll save the party....I could not disagree more.

Trump is a symptom of the disease. Not the disease.

Back