• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mitt fires a warning shot

I largely disagree with this. As a proud member of #nevertrump, many of us have gone out of our way (including risking careers) to publicly admonish and block the entire Republican Party. There have been countless articles written by never trump conservatives who have argued that the absolute destruction of today’s party is the only way to save it. A lot of nevertrumpers (including myself) have gone as far as voting, volunteering and shilling for Democrats in an effort to act as a reasonable check against an authoritarian party run amok.

Unfortunately this energy in the conservative intelligentsia and the grassroots has never translated to elected officials...which has been enormously frustrating to watch.

Nevertrumpers get book deals and spots on MSNBC. Nobody is risking their career here. Give me a break.

If you’re saying that Trump is the one corrupting the party and by removing him, you’ll save the party....I could not disagree more.

Trump is a symptom of the disease. Not the disease.

Yep. It’s not like Trump was popular, got elected, and became boorish. He’s been publicly boorish for almost 40 years, ran for office in a boorish way, got elected, and became more popular for being more boorish. Trump is who most Republicans have been wanting for a long time. Sarah Palin’s popularity was a preview of this.

Nevertrumpers get book deals and spots on MSNBC. Nobody is risking their career here. Give me a break.

I’d wager a lot of money that most nevertrump conservatives who work in the political industry aren’t getting book deals and spots on MSNBC.

Sure the Bill Kristols of the world are on MSNBC but Joe Staffer isn’t.

Gotham can be saved. We don’t need to burn it down. We just need the right leader. If we can’t find him or her, hopefully the donkeys can.

Alright well the GOP has gone all on on Trump for 2020. Sounds like they’ll need to be burned down to get the right leader.

A lot can happen—cough, Mueller—between now and 2020. Trump’s base won’t care regardless, but, as the midterms showed, that base is rapidly shrinking. At some point, the RNC has to take notice.

You think the Mueller investigation is legit? That would be a unique Pub perspective on these boards.

A lot can happen—cough, Mueller—between now and 2020. Trump’s base won’t care regardless, but, as the midterms showed, that base is rapidly shrinking. At some point, the RNC has to take notice.

lol good luck.

Yes, you’d think the prudent move for the RNC would be to wait for the facts before merging the party with Trump.

But they already did. Burn it down.

Trump's base IS the GOP right now. It's the tail wagging the dog. Of course many Establishment GOPers, like the Bushes and Romneys, may find his style distasteful, but they still support his agenda in nearly every case. They actually approve of his actions and agenda, it's only his way of presenting it that bothers them. Also, Trump's base isn't shrinking. In 2016 Trump got around 46% of the national popular vote, and in 2018 the GOP got around 45% of the national popular vote. Not much of a drop. His approval ratings within the GOP have consistently been in the 85% to 90%-plus range since he took office. If any GOPer, like Kasich or Romney, tries to challenge Trump in the primaries next year they'll get clobbered. Seriously, who in the GOP is capable of challenging and beating him? Most Republican pols are scared of him - or are scared of his base. Fox and other right-wing media outlets have already gone after Romney for his editorial, so they're in Trump's pocket too.

I honestly feel bad for Republicans who think Romney is a principled man. He should be. He seems like he is because he’s learned how to portray a principled man. But he isn’t.

He’s just a son of a wealthy politician who made his fortune adding no value to society. He spends his money gaining influence through politics and religion. He believes he is destined to be President as a result so he will play whatever games he needs to play to make it happen.

Yeah he tries to be a good guy, he probably wants to be a good guy, but he is such a coward and push over. It came across in 2012, and it has never shown clearer since the emergence of Trump.

Saying he would vote for the wall is just lol bad. If your going to try to stand up to trump, you also can't be afraid of losing radical members of your voting base.

Yes, you’d think the prudent move for the RNC would be to wait for the facts before merging the party with Trump.

But they already did. Burn it down.

The RNC announced the merger the same day the Trump Foundation was shuttered. Republicans are all in for Trump. They don’t care about improprieties.

The RNC announced the merger the same day the Trump Foundation was shuttered. Republicans are all in for Trump. They don’t care about improprieties.

Yes, at least for now. Shields and Brooks were talking a bit about this on Friday night, and they were saying that Romney is trying to set himself up as a 2020 Trump alternative. If 2019 is ugly, and we start to have an economic slowdown, they think he's positioning himself as the 2020 alternative. Laugh as you may, but there may be something to it. Sure, Pubs have been lock step with Trump - lest they be primaried and lose. But Romney is from Utah and will be around after Trump is no longer around. Utahans tend to loathe Trump, so Romney is not spending any political capital by criticizing Trump. And given his reputation has always been as a ring kisser who will say anything to conform to what the Pub party has become, criticizing Trump makes him appear as less of an invertebrate. And if the economy is still humming and Trump is invulnerable this time next year, then he hasn't lost anything and will refocus his attention on 2024.

PSA reminded me that Republicans just don't like Romney. Almost every other Pub in that comical field got run until they were forced to settle for Romney because Newt, the 999 pizza guy, and Santorum are complete jokes.

Yeah, Pubs in 49 other states. But Mor(m)ons don't like Trump. So Romney can say whatever he likes, and it costs him nothing. And I also think Romney and other establishment Pubs don't realize the extent to which they've lost their party. And at the same time, it can make Romney feel like his vertebrae grew three sizes that day.

PSA reminded me that Republicans just don't like Romney. Almost every other Pub in that comical field got run until they were forced to settle for Romney because Newt, the 999 pizza guy, and Santorum are complete jokes.

At least in 2012 they had one candidate who wasn’t a complete joke.

At least in 2012 they had one candidate who wasn’t a complete joke.

No, he had just undergone the John Edwards political surgery where he had to change 80% of his political convictions in order to get the Pub nomination.

Back