• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Cornell Big Red -- Tonight 7 pm ACC Network

Pilchard

Reaction score
Tonight, WF plays what could be the last game of the season (and we still have more than 2 months to go) when WF is the favorite - the line is WF -8.

Record: #244 Cornell is 6-7 and is projected to finish last in the Ivy League. Cornell's best win is a road win at #172 NJIT (WF is #159; so, WF is essentially on the same TIER as NJIT -- let that sink in). Cornell is 3-5 on the road; their most recent road game was a 28 point loss at SMU. As set forth above, WF is #159 and Cornell is 1-5 against teams in the top 200. Their coach is Brian Earl is in his 3rd year as the Big Red head coach. Earl played (was the Ivy League POY) and was an assistant at Princeton. So, they run the Princeton offense.

Offense: Weak. #261. The Big Red doesn't shoot well (31.9% 3 PT #252), don't rebound well (#350 in offensive rebound %), and play at a slow tempo (#222). Cornell is a decent FT shooting team (#133), and their offense is evenly distributed between scoring on 3s, 2s, and FTs.

Defense: Below average #228. The best thing that can be said about Cornell's D is that they don't commit many fouls (#56 in FTA/FGA; FWIW, WF biggest strength on O is getting to the line; WF's offense is #2 in the nation in FTA/FGA). Cornell has a passive D that does not force TOs (#336; #342 in steal %). Cornell has been decent at defending the 3 point line (32.5% #114).

Lineup: Cornell is experienced (#44), starting 3 seniors and a junior. They start PG Sr. 6-2 Matt Morgan, SG 6-2 So. Terrence McBride, SF 6-4 Sr. Troy Whiteside, PF 6-6 Sr. Steven Julian, C 6-8 Sr. Josh Warren. Jim Boeheim's kid, 6-8 Jimmy Boeheim comes off the bench for the Big Red. Their best player is the PG Matt Morgan from Concord, NC. He shoots 44% from 3, and has scored 20+ in every game but 3, and has a season high of 38. Morgan has 40 3s, no one else has more than 13 on the season. Stop Morgan, and Cornell has problems scoring.

Bottom line: The line is 8. KP projects a 75-66 WF win. WF has already lost at home to HBU and G-W; so, a loss to Cornell would hardly surprise. That said, think that WF will find a way to pull out a win against an Ivy League cellar-dweller as the daunting ACC schedule approaches.

Last edited:
If I thought a loss to Cornell would be the final nail in Danny's coffin, I'd be the biggest Big Red fan in the world tonight.

Danny will keep it close. I confused the Wake-8 with attendance estimates. Such is Wake basketball. Fill-in during the wait for spring football practice.

Let's do this, Big Red.

Can you imagine how awful this would feel if the football was going 3-9 in consecutive seasons?

Oh wait ...

I hope Cornell wins and Danny is fired immediately after the game. Want Les to interview a jobless Danny Manning tonight.

If Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb didn't get the job done, losing to Big Red sure as hell won't unfortunately.

I don't see how we can possibly lose this game, even though I know we are terrible.

If it is truly a single digit victory, that tells me the team is reeling internally with zero confidence (which wouldn't be a shock, I guess).

I'll probably watch the replay at like 9pm so I can FF most of it and watch the entire game in 15 minutes or so.

I think we win by about 15, unfortunately.

Lineup: Cornell is experienced (#44), starting 3 seniors and a junior. They start PG Sr. 6-2 Matt Morgan, SG 6-2 So. Terrence McBride, SF 6-4 Sr. Troy Whiteside, PF 6-6 Sr. Steven Julian, C 6-8 Sr. Josh Warren. Jim Boeheim's kid, 6-8 Jimmy Boeheim comes off the bench for the Big Red. Their best player is the PG Matt Morgan from Concord, NC. He shoots 44% from 3, and has scored 20+ in every game but 3, and has a season high of 38. Morgan has 40 3s, no one else has more than 13 on the season. Stop Morgan, and Cornell has problems scoring.

I'll bet I know who we won't guard when we are up 2 with 10 seconds left.

I don't see how we can possibly lose this game, even though I know we are terrible.

If it is truly a single digit victory, that tells me the team is reeling internally with zero confidence (which wouldn't be a shock, I guess).

I'll probably watch the replay at like 9pm so I can FF most of it and watch the entire game in 15 minutes or so.

WCU was worse than Cornell and they took it to the wire, so I would expect a close game. I think Wake is probably around the 200th best team in college basketball right now, so this seems like a pretty even match up.

Should be an exciting Y-like game.

Go Big Red.

Wake wins by 25. By beating up on an Ivy League team, Hatch gets concerned that we're becoming a jock school. Manning is let go and Jane Goodall is hired as his replacement.

Back