• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Odom insight during Cornell Game

All I remember is the team played with zero emotion in that ACC tourney and were completely flat. I was so pissed I made my first post on the old message boards that night.

All I remember is the team played with zero emotion in that ACC tourney and were completely flat. I was so pissed I made my first post on the old message boards that night.

So, they played the same way WF has played in the last 11 ACC tournaments.

If you had been in Atlanta and watched our first round loss that year, you would have also wanted him gone.

I watched & it was an embarrassing loss. In fact it was a disappointing 2nd half of a season that had showed immense promise, returning all key players from the NIT championship team & shellacking a top 10 Kansas team by nearly 30 in December. Sure I was pissed & placed much of the blame on Odom for the decline during the season along with the lackluster effort vs Butler. However, I'm a Staak era survivor & not much on knee jerk reactions so I didn't feel like replacing Odom was the answer. The program had dipped somewhat during the NIT years but was trending back up & his recruiting was still very good (remember the talent he left Prosser?). He was a 3 time ACC COY for a reason.

I watched & it was an embarrassing loss. In fact it was a disappointing 2nd half of a season that had showed immense promise, returning all key players from the NIT championship team & shellacking a top 10 Kansas team by nearly 30 in December. Sure I was pissed & placed much of the blame on Odom for the decline during the season along with the lackluster effort vs Butler. However, I'm a Staak era survivor & not much on knee jerk reactions so I didn't feel like replacing Odom was the answer. The program had dipped somewhat during the NIT years but was trending back up & his recruiting was still very good (remember the talent he left Prosser?). He was a 3 time ACC COY for a reason.

I remember being surprised but not that disappointed when Odom left. I think that he had done about all he could at Wake. Certainly no coach since has matched his achievements. I'd take him back in a second.

IMHO, forcing Dave Odom out as Wake BB head coach was the beginning of the downward spiral of Wake BB.

Gosh, been saying that for years & years! How do you force out a coach who averaged 20 wins per season and finished no lower that 5th in the ACC in his last 11 seasons but did not make a move on the next coach who finished dead last [12th] in his 5th season & then tied for next to last in his 6th season [T10th]?

This thread turned into a TheReff and other old Fudd bat signal. No, Odom was not forced out. No, Odom leaving was not the beginning of the downturn for Wake. No, TV wasn't better when it was black and white.

This thread turned into a TheReff and other old Fudd bat signal. No, Odom was not forced out. No, Odom leaving was not the beginning of the downturn for Wake. No, TV wasn't better when it was black and white.

Skip's untimely death was the beginning of the downturn for Wake basketball.

My first as a student. Maryland was a nightmare matchup for us that year. Beginning of the end of that season was our loss to GA Tech, also in Atlanta (speaking of ongoing trends with Wake hoops).

Skip's untimely death was the beginning of the downturn for Wake basketball.

Yes. Every decision from that point on has been a failure. The decision to make Dino anything other than interim. The decision to extend Dino. The decision to fire Dino after a successful season and with a huge buyout. The decision to hire [Redacted]. The decision to retain [Redacted] in Y2, Y3, and Y4. The decision to hire Manning. The decision to retain Manning in Y5. The decision to retain Manning into the ACC schedule this season. Failure after failure after failure.

Yes. Every decision from that point on has been a failure. The decision to make Dino anything other than interim. The decision to extend Dino. The decision to fire Dino after a successful season and with a huge buyout. The decision to hire [name redacted]. The decision to retain [name redacted] in Y2, Y3, and Y4. The decision to hire Manning. The decision to retain Manning in Y5. The decision to retain Manning into the ACC schedule this season. Failure after failure after failure.

Agree with this, but beg to differ on Odom being forced out. Wellman took a contract extension off the table after the Butler debacle. Odom left for job security for the end of his career. Odom had his faults, as is the case with all coaches. But he was/is a great human being who did a lot for MSD.

Never thought almost 20 years post Odom's departure Wake wouldnt have had a coach as good as Odom.

Odom also couldn't reach a FF with one of the greatest players to ever play the game and called Corny Hudson the most talented player on our team. So YMMV.

And that missing final four due primarily to playing Ikenna errrr Sean Allen for two seasons at power forward. We were playing 4 on 5. Stanford double teams using Allen’s man and Allen cannot score ever. Game and season over.

And that missing final four due primarily to playing Ikenna errrr Sean Allen for two seasons at power forward. We were playing 4 on 5. Stanford double teams using Allen’s man and Allen cannot score ever. Game and season over.

Yep, he had 3 years to recruit a decent PF to pair along with Timmie and did not get it done. Please don't tell me about Ricky Peral.

Yep, he had 3 years to recruit a decent PF to pair along with Timmie and did not get it done. Please don't tell me about Ricky Peral.

Ricky Peral wasn't a power forward.

Duncan really missed having Scooter Banks at power forward. Scooter was tough, could rebound and score when needed. He was a great complementary player to Duncan. Sean Allen was not.

But you could remember Joachim Blom and Shon Coleman. It wasn't recruiting failure as much as failure to figure out the arcane NCAA clearinghouse (Blom) and a recruit not taking care of business academically (Coleman) and some possible interference by uNC (Makhtar Nydiae).

Odom's recruiting class for 1996 was Blom, Coleman, and Loren Woods; if one of those three guys gets to campus and contributes in a meaningful way in big games as a freshman, WF has a pretty good to great year

unfortunately, we pulled the 0-fer on that one

Yes. Every decision from that point on has been a failure. The decision to make Dino anything other than interim. The decision to extend Dino. The decision to fire Dino after a successful season and with a huge buyout. The decision to hire [name redacted]. The decision to retain [name redacted] in Y2, Y3, and Y4. The decision to hire Manning. The decision to retain Manning in Y5. The decision to retain Manning into the ACC schedule this season. Failure after failure after failure.

Yup.

I think Peral could have had some run at PF. Remember when Tim was sick and he had to play Center. He would have been an early stretch 4 and cleared more space for Tim. Now who plays the 3? Gools?

Peral would be a modern stretch 4. Those teams really needed an athletic SF.

Odom got the right parts a few years too late when he landed Howard and Songaila.

Back