• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Odom insight during Cornell Game

Peral would be a modern stretch 4. Those teams really needed an athletic SF.

Odom got the right parts a few years too late when he landed Howard and Songaila.

Didn't Odom try playing Duncan and Loren Woods together for a few games?

Peral would be a modern stretch 4. Those teams really needed an athletic SF.

Odom got the right parts a few years too late when he landed Howard and Songaila.

The point is we had a first team AA with a shit supporting cast in the front court for his tenure. How did we not land another stud big in year 2 or 3 of Dincan? Woods does not meet the definition of successful teammate.

The point is we had a first team AA with a shit supporting cast in the front court for his tenure. How did we not land another stud big in year 2 or 3 of Dincan? Woods does not meet the definition of successful teammate.

Woods was a top 10 recruit. He, unfortunately, was a head case and never played well.

Joachim Blom was too smart for the NCAA Clearinghouse. Took his HS algebra as an 8th grader, so NCAA didn't accept the class. Twice.

Shon Coleman didn't take his academics seriously enough for Wake.

Makhtar Nydiae was forced out of Wake by shenanigans of a translator (and ended up at uNC). Think there wasn't something questionable done by supporters of Dean?

Odom had 4 guys and 5 tries (Blom twice) at getting TD and Chill added help. NCAA conspiracy.

WF is working on a streak of 57 consecutive years of failing to reach the Final 4. You don't build a streak that long from within the ACC without some spectacular examples of bad planning, bad luck, and bad execution

cGgZA.jpg

Yep, he had 3 years to recruit a decent PF to pair along with Timmie and did not get it done. Please don't tell me about Ricky Peral.
Wasn't he close to signing Matt Harping? I believe Cremins came in at the last minute and offered, after telling him he wasn't talented enough to play D1 bball. That was the missing piece IMO.

Ricky Peral wasn't a power forward.

Duncan really missed having Scooter Banks at power forward. Scooter was tough, could rebound and score when needed. He was a great complementary player to Duncan. Sean Allen was not.

Remember that pick Scooter set on Wojo in the ACC Tourney?

Oh god an Odom thread.

- 1 ACCT win without Duncan, that's 1 win. Rodney - 0
- "The Trophy is not the End"
- "Timmy shouldn't just come back to win an NCAAT", Duncan won 5 NBA titles, pretty clear what he wanted.
- Zero final fours with the greatest PF of all time. With the guy that was NBA ROY and 1st team All NBA the year after he left.
- UVA game in 97 when they showed how to beat Wake and Odom never adjusted.
- Recruiting - fail. Most of this board thought Duncan should go to Orlando because the Spurs couldn't get a player to support him. One guy changed that for the Spurs, Manu, Odom had the opportunity to pair a top recruit with Tim and the only one he could get was a nut case (one that did play in the NCAAT Championship game).
- Maktahar - Rumor was Odom was going to RS Tim but when Maktahar and Peral were out he had no choice on Tim. And Maktahar when to Mich (not ACCT transfer rule) before he wound up at UNC.
- Recruiting part 2 - Odom thought the success during the Duncan years would have recruits flowing into Wake, he didn't do the work and miss the opportunity to make Wake a long term dominant ACC team.
- Howard was thought to be a team 'cancer' under Odom, under Skip he was ACC POY
- Wellman offered Odom an extension, but Dave thought, after the fast start and Kansas win, he could do better so he passed on it. The the pathetic ACCT vs. MD and the Butler nightmare.
- Odom 'it will be great to have the name of the State in the schools' name' - yep he turned that into a FF as well.
- I don't think Skip was ever going to win the NCAAT, took it to #1 with Paul (if ever so briefly) and despite the down turn had the recruits lined up to bring us back when he passed. And he got screwed by Paul and Conley didn't come to wake (jeez if you want to toss Bloom and Coleman out there, this is the guy that was the difference between bottom feeding and long term greatness).
- Nut punch

The guy was a good coach that could do more with less but never was able to bring in the talent to do more with more.

Last edited:
Oh god an Odom thread.

- "Timmy shouldn't just come back to win an NCAAT", Duncan won 5 NBA titles, pretty clear what he wanted.
- Zero final fours with the greatest PF of all time. With the guy that was NBA ROY and 1st team All NBA the year after he left.
- Recruiting - fail. Most of this board thought Duncan should go to Orlando because the Spurs couldn't get a player to support him. One guy changed that for the Spurs, Manu, Odom had the opportunity to pair a top recruit with Tim and the only one he could get was a nut case (one that did play in the NCAAT Championship game).
- Maktahar - Rumor was Odom was going to RS Tim but when Maktahar and Peral were out he had no choice on Tim. And Maktahar when to Mich (not ACCT transfer rule) before he wound up at UNC.
- Recruiting part 2 - Odom thought the success during the Duncan years would have recruits flowing into Wake, he didn't do the work and miss the opportunity to make Wake a long term dominant ACC team.
- Howard was thought to be a team 'cancer' under Odom, under Skip he was ACC POY
- Wellman offered Odom an extension, but Dave thought, after the fast start and Kansas win, he could do better so he passed on it. The the pathetic ACCT vs. MD and the Butler nightmare.
- Odom 'it will be great to have the name of the State in the schools' name' - yep he turned that into a FF as well.
- I don't think Skip was ever going to win the NCAAT, took it to #1 with Paul (if ever so briefly) and despite the down turn had the recruits lined up to bring us back when he passed. And he got screwed by Paul and Conley didn't come to wake (jeez if you want to toss Bloom and Coleman out there, this is the guy that was the difference between bottom feeding and long term greatness).
- Nut punch

The guy was a good coach that could do more with less but never was able to bring in the talent to do more with more.

If you graduated in 83 you are close to 60. Pretty good chance you won’t live to see WF repeat as ACC Champions again. My advice to you is to relish what he brought us vs lamenting what he did not.

Ah, every 30 years or so, I think I've got a shot.

Odom's last team was #4 in the country. Completely trashed #3 Kansas at the Joel, destroyed #8 UVA at the Joel, then loses at #13 UNC on a last second tip in rebound and completely panics and pulls the reins in. We started 12-1 and finished 7-8 in the regular season and were on the NCAA bubble.

BTW, Wake hoops did exist before Odom. Tacy really did more with less, we can make the same sad story about how Hammonds was set to come to Wake and didn't.

Last edited:
Ah, every 30 years or so, I think I've got a shot.

Odom's last team was #4 in the country. Completely trashed #3 Kansas at the Joel, destroyed #8 UVA at the Joel, then loses at #13 UNC on a last second tip in rebound and completely panics and pulls the reins in. We started 12-1 and finished 7-8 in the regular season and were on the NCAA bubble.

BTW, Wake hoops did exist before Odom. Tacy really did more with less, we can make the same sad story about how Hammonds was set to come to Wake and didn't.

I remember. I also remember Dino starting 16-0 and finishing 8-7 including blowouts to Maryland and Cleveland State to end the year. And Skip having highly ranked teams choke in the NCAAT.

No need for sad stories about Odom. He took over a program with the worst ACC record from Bones through Staak and cut down the nets in our conference twice. Like I said, you should relish those memories.

I honesty thought the original Deac8x must have left these boards, to have an Odom thread go 2-3 days without him clip-clopping (old board reference) over to put his spin on our most successful coach.

Last edited:
Oh god an Odom thread.

- Nut punch

Odom-
Recruited 4 of the greatest WFU players of all time (all 4 have their jerseys hanging in the Joel)
Back to back ACC titles
1 Elite Eight
3 Sweet Sixteens
8 NCAA Tournaments
NIT Championship
3 time ACC Coach of the Year
2nd place all-time in wins at WFU

I don't think that he would have redshirted Duncan once he actually started practicing with the team, regardless of Peral and Mahktar

And what did he have to do with the nut punch?

I'd take his results back in a heart beat.

Odom-
Recruited 4 of the greatest WFU players of all time (all 4 have their jerseys hanging in the Joel)
Back to back ACC titles
1 Elite Eight
3 Sweet Sixteens
8 NCAA Tournaments
NIT Championship
3 time ACC Coach of the Year
2nd place all-time in wins at WFU

I don't think that he would have redshirted Duncan once he actually started practicing with the team, regardless of Peral and Mahktar

And what did he have to do with the nut punch?

I'd take his results back in a heart beat.

Nut punch is more related to one the reasons we are were we are (I.e. not because we let Odom chase his dream of coaching at a big state school which would allow him to get to the top).

We are the team with the most 1/2 seeds to have not made the final 4. Odom owns a lot of that.

Nothing more lowf that celebrating final 8’s and sweet 16’s as our big ncaa accomplishments.

Woods was a top 10 recruit. He, unfortunately, was a head case and never played well.

Joachim Blom was too smart for the NCAA Clearinghouse. Took his HS algebra as an 8th grader, so NCAA didn't accept the class. Twice.

Shon Coleman didn't take his academics seriously enough for Wake.

Makhtar Nydiae was forced out of Wake by shenanigans of a translator (and ended up at uNC). Think there wasn't something questionable done by supporters of Dean?

Odom had 4 guys and 5 tries (Blom twice) at getting TD and Chill added help. NCAA conspiracy.

Woods was a good kid who put too much pressure on himself to live up to Duncan's standard. I've always thought that if he'd come along a few years later he might have fared better under Skip. I think Odom got impatient with how emotional Woods was, and Skip may have gotten through to him in a way that Dave did not (like Skip did with Josh).

It would take a pretty ardent conspiracy theorist to think that UNC had anything to do with Wake losing Makhtar. As somebody pointed out above, he went to Michigan before he wound up in Chapel Hill. By all accounts Wake just screwed that up and broke NCAA rules during the recruiting process.

I can't remember how we ended up losing Colemam, but I do remember it seeming at the time like a huge blow to recruiting momentum.

Nut punch is more related to one the reasons we are were we are (I.e. not because we let Odom chase his dream of coaching at a big state school which would allow him to get to the top).

We are the team with the most 1/2 seeds to have not made the final 4. Odom owns a lot of that.

Nothing more lowf that celebrating final 8’s and sweet 16’s as our big ncaa accomplishments.

But those are our big NCAA accomplishments. And considering that in the last decade have only made it to the NCAA once, and that was a play-in game, it's pointless to run down the coach who got us there.

But those are our big NCAA accomplishments. And considering that in the last decade have only made it to the NCAA once, and that was a play-in game, it's pointless to run down the coach who got us there.
Let me see if I have the logic correct. In short: we suck so bad now that we can't discuss the ways we've sucked in the past?

I post as much as anyone about how consistently good we were over the Odom/Prosser/Dino eras, but there's zero doubt that we've failed miserably in the post season during that same time period. Our "big" NCAA accomplishments don't rate. They're pitiful.

Back