• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Odom insight during Cornell Game

Let me see if I have the logic correct. In short: we suck so bad now that we can't discuss the ways we've sucked in the past?

I post as much as anyone about how consistently good we were over the Odom/Prosser/Dino eras, but there's zero doubt that we've failed miserably in the post season during that same time period. Our "big" NCAA accomplishments don't rate. They're pitiful.

You are correct. Let's do it.
1939- Lost our first NCAA game in the first ever NCAA Tournament
1953- Lost our first NCAA game to Holy Cross
1961- Won 2 games but still didn't make Final Four
1962- Made the Final Four! Greatest accomplishment of WFU bball and it happened 57 years ago
1963-1976- No NCAA appearances
1977- Won 2 games but still didn't make Final Four
1981- Lost in first round
1982- Lost in second round
1983- Final Four (NIT though)
1984- Won 2 games
1985-1990- No NCAA appearances
1991- Lost in first round
1992-Lost in second round
1993- Won 2 games
1994- Lost in second round
1995- Won 2 games
1996- Won 3 games but didn't make Final Four
1997-Lost in second round
2000- Won Championship (NIT though)
2001- Butlerized
2002- Lost in second round
2003- Lost in second round
2004- Won 2 games
2005-Pittsnogled
2009- Lost in first round
2010- Lost in second round
2011-2016- No NCAA appearances
2017- lost a Play-In game

This is Wake's basketball "tradition".

Let me see if I have the logic correct. In short: we suck so bad now that we can't discuss the ways we've sucked in the past?

I post as much as anyone about how consistently good we were over the Odom/Prosser/Dino eras, but there's zero doubt that we've failed miserably in the post season during that same time period. Our "big" NCAA accomplishments don't rate. They're pitiful.

Yes, exactly, we want the less suckier times back!

There's out new billboard, 'Fire Manning so we can be less sucky!

Maybe a new chant for the cheerleaders and the 12 people attending our games 'Less Suck, Less Suck, Less Suck'.

Then someday we can graduate to not sucking at all, but as pointed out earlier, I may be dead by then. Or we are just the new DePaul and it's over.

i'm all for bashing wake these days but mocking wake's historical postseason success is a stretch. college basketball adheres to the 80/20 rule just like everything else.
all things are relative.
in fact, just 30 teams (out of the current 351 D1 schools) account for 185 (out of 308 possible) appearances in the last 77 final fours. heck only 90 teams have even made the final four (obviously wake is one) in history.
wake forest currently ranks 40th in all-time NCAA tournament games with a winning percentage of .549

wake is not kentucky, duke, kansas, ucla or UNC and never will be. i was actually shocked by the NCAA tournament game rank based on the last eight years of fucktitude.

You mean the greatest PF to ever play the game couldn't play with a center?

Were you watching Wake games then? Woods had tremendous potential and raw physical attributes but was extremely immature, both physically and mentally.

Were you watching Wake games then? Woods had tremendous potential and raw physical attributes but was extremely immature, both physically and mentally.

Which is why a superior coach got him to the Final Four.

He was basically a Doral Moore who got his game together in HS during a time when size was more valued.

i'm all for bashing wake these days but mocking wake's historical postseason success is a stretch. college basketball adheres to the 80/20 rule just like everything else.
all things are relative.
in fact, just 30 teams (out of the current 351 D1 schools) account for 185 (out of 308 possible) appearances in the last 77 final fours. heck only 90 teams have even made the final four (obviously wake is one) in history.
wake forest currently ranks 40th in all-time NCAA tournament games with a winning percentage of .549

wake is not kentucky, duke, kansas, ucla or UNC and never will be. i was actually shocked by the NCAA tournament game rank based on the last eight years of fucktitude.

This. Think about how bad we have been over the last decade and we still rank 40th in NCAA games played. That stretch from 1991 - 2010 wasn't too shabby. In 20 years it appears we went to the tournament at least 14 times and won at least 18 games. Now, no doubt several of those years we underperformed - it is a proven fact that we are the worst-performing team ever according to seed. But at least we were there - we were relevant and in the conversation. Who wouldn't give anything to be back there? There are a crapload of programs out there that would kill for a 20 year stretch like that.

Which is why a superior coach got him to the Final Four.

He was basically a Doral Moore who got his game together in HS during a time when size was more valued.

I'm not going to argue that Odom was the greatest coach ever but I'm also not going to blame him for Loren Woods' failings. That kid was a headcase at Wake. The transfer year off and a couple years' maturation were clearly good for him but I don't think he ever reached the potential his physical tools gave him. And he wasn't a lot like Moore - Moore was tall but thicker, slower and stiffer. Woods was taller with a longer reach but was rail thin with a weak lower body. Woods could run the floor and had amazing natural shot blocking ability.

i don't even think you can argue under performance. while the ncaa tournament is great - there is no parity in NCAA basketball. yes the tournament is exciting and you get the upsets, year after year the same teams are at the top of the heap. and while loyola-chicago makes that run, they were there with usual suspects like Kansas, Villanova, and Michigan. the top programs find a way. it just depends on which ones and how many. Duke or UNC. Kansas or Kentucky. Michigan State or Indiana/Louisville/UCLA.

While wake losing to Oklahoma State and Stanford in 95/97 was awful, it was exacerbated by the opportunities for wake. (HOWEVER wake did come back in 1996 and with rutland injured still made the elite 8. that's why i think scoffing at the 1996 season is ridiculous. rutland's injury sank that post-season and yet they still made elite 8.) unfortunately wake doesn't have the program to overcome the tournament upsets like the top teams. wake has to make the most of it when they can.

duke lost to fucking lehigh. made the elite 8 the next year. unc lost to weber state. made the final four the next year. kentucky to uab. kentucky made elite 8 following season. kansas to bucknell. kansas won the national title a few years after.
wake is simply not those programs. if that's your comparison you will be disappointed. there are more opportunities to avenge (erase) upsets at the blue bloods. hell, even UVA will be able to avenge the UMBC historical loss. how is wake going to avenge the houston baptist loss?

wake is simply an inept pile of shit right now. i for one will take the "under-performance" from 1991-2010 over the steaming pile of horse cock shit the last eight years have been any day of the week.
wake was one of the top tier (haha tiers) programs in the ACC a decade ago. that is a legit statement. on the level of Duke/UNC - no. but a top quartile program - absolutely.
now it's a fucking embarrassment.

Last edited:
This. Think about how bad we have been over the last decade and we still rank 40th in NCAA games played. That stretch from 1991 - 2010 wasn't too shabby. In 20 years it appears we went to the tournament at least 14 times and won at least 18 games. Now, no doubt several of those years we underperformed - it is a proven fact that we are the worst-performing team ever according to seed. But at least we were there - we were relevant and in the conversation. Who wouldn't give anything to be back there? There are a crapload of programs out there that would kill for a 20 year stretch like that.

Yep, at least we got to play Butler.

I'm not going to argue that Odom was the greatest coach ever but I'm also not going to blame him for Loren Woods' failings. That kid was a headcase at Wake. The transfer year off and a couple years' maturation were clearly good for him but I don't think he ever reached the potential his physical tools gave him. And he wasn't a lot like Moore - Moore was tall but thicker, slower and stiffer. Woods was taller with a longer reach but was rail thin with a weak lower body. Woods could run the floor and had amazing natural shot blocking ability.

I think that trying to measure up to Duncan got into his head.

Yes, exactly, we want the less suckier times back!

There's out new billboard, 'Fire Manning so we can be less sucky!

Maybe a new chant for the cheerleaders and the 12 people attending our games 'Less Suck, Less Suck, Less Suck'.

Then someday we can graduate to not sucking at all, but as pointed out earlier, I may be dead by then. Or we are just the new DePaul and it's over.

Says the guy pining for Carl Tacy

He was an average coach without Duncan. His games were mindfully numbing to watch. The half court motion offense seemed to always keep games close. Imagine if he would have allowed Duncan to run the court, and had Childress and Company on the wings hitting threes. Only if we had run a show time offense vs the sleepy Dave O style.

Dave Odom being a good coach over his career at Wake and Wake needing to move on after Butler loss can both be true. You can’t take away the fact that he won back to back ACC titles in an era of pinnacle ACC talent. (Check that UNC roster). Also, the 1998 - 2001 years were tough. Recruiting never really inflected up after Duncan years. Finally got back to the dance and got embarrassed by Butler. Skip was a great hire.

i don't even think you can argue under performance. while the ncaa tournament is great - there is no parody in NCAA basketball. yes the tournament is exciting and you get the upsets, year after year the same teams are at the top of the heap. and while loyola-chicago makes that run, they were there with usual suspects like Kansas, Villanova, and Michigan. the top programs find a way. it just depends on which ones and how many. Duke or UNC. Kansas or Kentucky. Michigan State or Indiana/Louisville/UCLA.

While wake losing to Oklahoma State and Stanford in 95/97 was awful, it was exacerbated by the opportunities for wake. (HOWEVER wake did come back in 1996 and with rutland injured still made the elite 8. that's why i think scoffing at the 1996 season is ridiculous. rutland's injury sank that post-season and yet they still made elite 8.) unfortunately wake doesn't have the program to overcome the tournament upsets like the top teams. wake has to make the most of it when they can.

duke lost to fucking lehigh. made the elite 8 the next year. unc lost to weber state. made the final four the next year. kentucky to uab. kentucky made elite 8 following season. kansas to bucknell. kansas won the national title a few years after.
wake is simply not those programs. if that's your comparison you will be disappointed. there are more opportunities to avenge (erase) upsets at the blue bloods. hell, even UVA will be able to avenge the UMBC historical loss. how is wake going to avenge the houston baptist loss?

wake is simply an inept pile of shit right now. i for one will take the "under-performance" from 1991-2010 over the steaming pile of horse cock shit the last eight years have been any day of the week.
wake was one of the top tier (haha tiers) programs in the ACC a decade ago. that is a legit statement. on the level of Duke/UNC - no. but a top quartile program - absolutely.
now it's a fucking embarrassment.

Underperformance means not playing to seed. You can’t argue we played to seed or even pulled off upsets to balance getting upset.

I thought Odom's comment that he never thought of Randolph as a future coach was insightful.

Back