• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Odom insight during Cornell Game

That sounds like being a dick to a guy who made Odom millions of dollars.
Or just being real about a school and a guy he cares about who are both tarnishing their reputations at the moment.

That sounds like being a dick to a guy who made Odom millions of dollars.

If I remember correctly, I think Odom said that Randolph was so intense and impatient that it might be difficult for him to be a coach.
That being said, I wish he would show some more intensity on the bench. I would love to see him get in players faces like he did when he was a player.

If I remember correctly, I think Odom said that Randolph was so intense and impatient that it might be difficult for him to be a coach.
That being said, I wish he would show some more intensity on the bench. I would love to see him get in players faces like he did when he was a player.

Odom has said that several times over the years regarding Randolph.

But you could remember Joachim Blom and Shon Coleman. It wasn't recruiting failure as much as failure to figure out the arcane NCAA clearinghouse (Blom) and a recruit not taking care of business academically (Coleman) and some possible interference by uNC (Makhtar Nydiae).

During Timmy's era Odom also landed PF William Stringfellow who was a top 100 recruit but didn't live up to expectations & transferred to Houston.

Rather revisionist history about Mahktar. The reason we lost him had nothing to do with UNC. GDO's staff cheated.

Rather revisionist history about Mahktar. The reason we lost him had nothing to do with UNC. GDO's staff cheated.

tenor.gif

The "member" of GDO's staff who cheated was a translator hired to allow the actual staff to communicate better with Mahktar. The translator maintained contact with Mahktar (unbeknownst to Wake) after Wake had ended the contract for translation services. Because Wake had hired him, the translator was deemed a "Wake staffer" by the NCAA. And the continued contact (exceeding allowed number, and during dead periods led to the sanctions on Odom for failing to supervise.

Funny, Mahktar did end up at uNC just about a year later, after a stop in Michigan,

I believe it came out much later that the translator had some connection to that shining example of academic and scholarly excellence know as the AFAM Department at uNC.

I am up for blaming UNC for EVERYTHING they did, but you have no proof of any kind for this.

Does the name Sonny Vaccaro ring any bells: From the Raleigh News and Observer.
He wasn't the translator. James Nyema Davies was. Sonny was reputed to have been the guy who brought Wake and Ndiaye and Davies together. Then reported Wake when he (Sonny) changed shoe companies.

Vaccaro later broke with Nike, leaving for adidas. In the mid 1990s working for adidas, he had a relationship with Makhtar Ndiaye, who had transfered to UNC in 1995. In November 1996, the NCAA ordered Ndiaye to repay improper benefits he had received from Vaccaro.

That's not about UNC. That's about the guy who really created a lot of the problems we have with sneaker companies. Vaccaro is a total scumbag.

That's not about UNC. That's about the guy who really created a lot of the problems we have with sneaker companies. Vaccaro is a total scumbag.

So it's kind of about UNC.

Its about Makhtar at uNC taking illegal benefits. Again.

Does the name Sonny Vaccaro ring any bells: From the Raleigh News and Observer.
He wasn't the translator. James Nyema Davies was. Sonny was reputed to have been the guy who brought Wake and Ndiaye and Davies together. Then reported Wake when he (Sonny) changed shoe companies.

Vaccaro later broke with Nike, leaving for adidas. In the mid 1990s working for adidas, he had a relationship with Makhtar Ndiaye, who had transfered to UNC in 1995. In November 1996, the NCAA ordered Ndiaye to repay improper benefits he had received from Vaccaro.

never heard of him

never heard of him

Sonny Vaccaro was the originator of the shoe company AAU and college basketball connections. First with Nike. Then later Adidas.

Much of what the FBI has been investigating began with Sonny.

Back