• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - Men ACC Reg Season & Tourn Champs, NCAA & Indoor Runner Up

Botzer won the third set 6–1. He beat Nathan Ponwith, UGA transfer (and an interesting backstory), who is a really solid player. Botzer got better as the match went on.

I was really impressed with Banthia. He’s like Botzer in that he’s not overpowering but he’s really skilled and has all the shots. He would be a great 6 singles player.

Sounds like Borna might not play for a while.

Why wont Borna play?

What’s the scoop with Gojo? Injury or something else?

My guess is that there might be some final eligibility issues that need to be worked through after taking his fall semester off.

Rafi, do you know the story on Ponwith? Google search says he got kicked off UGA team after getting arrested in Alabama

Rafi, do you know the story on Ponwith? Google search says he got kicked off UGA team after getting arrested in Alabama

I'll sum it up:

- UGA has a really strong tennis history, with many championships and star players (like Isner)
- UGA has a legendary coach, Manny Diaz, who is considered an honorable and impressive coach and person
- 2 years ago the assistant coach at UGA, who was thought to be the replacement to Diaz, was arrested for drug distribution (Adderrall)
- At the same time, Diaz's son, who was also on the team, was arrested with the same charges.
- You can read about the arrests here, it's a really interesting article https://www.si.com/tennis/2017/12/2...gs-college-athletes-university-georgia-tennis
- Ponwith was on the team at that time, and then last year was arrested in Alabama with drug charges and public intoxication
- He disappeared for a while, then showed up on Arizona State's roster, then disappeared off it for a while, and is now back on the team, it appears

- Arizona State's team is interesting as well. In 2008 the men's tennis team was cut secondary to budget concerns. Last year, boosters finally brought the team back. They recruited a bunch of good international players and this spring they are only playing 5 home matches, presumably because their schedule was put together last minute

I just looked into this, and if Gojo returns this year it will be the first time ever that the NCAA singles finalist and champ from the same team both return the next year. Pretty cool.

Cool! Thanks for digging into this. Hope to see Borna on the court soon!

50795481_2298446570166538_3834664612821729280_n.jpg

That's a nice looking ring!

A few updates: the men remain #1 in the country this week. They play BYU at the Wake Indoor Friday at 5 PM in the first round of the ITA Indoor National Championships (which Wake won last year). The #1 player for BYU is Sean Hill, who spent 1 semester at Wake a few years ago. Sam Wexler from the OG&B had a good interview with Petros http://wfuogb.com/2019/01/spotlight-petros-chrysochos/

The women play Arizona State Saturday at 2 PM in the ITA tournament, in Columbia SC.

Has anyone looked at the Davis Cup matches and how that might impact some of our own matches. Last year we were lucky with the timing.

Wake easily win doubles point vs BYU. All matches in first set so far. Up a break in a few

4-0 Wake win.

Petros lost first set but up a break in the second when match was clinched

Good to win 4-0. We looked dominant in doubles. I was glad to see Gadjiev instead of Dill at 2 doubles. If we get Gojo in there we’ll be even more solid.

Singles was pretty close. Lots of close first sets. Petros was slicing all his backhands in the first set. Either he wasn’t feeling the backhand or he wanted to work on some things. In general, he’s much better outdoors. It was good to see the bottom of the lineup get wins, but we didn’t look super strong in singles. I would like to see Banthia in the singles lineup.

I see Solomon won at 4, should we expect him to be a big contributor this season?

Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - #1 Men at Wake Indoor Friday at 5 PM

Deacs with a solid 4-1 win over Memphis to advance to the ITA Indoor Championships in Chicago. Good crowd at the Wake indoor. We won the doubles, Petros clowned a dude at 1, Solomon won at 4, and Zlobinsky won at 6. Melios was close to finishing off his match at 3.

Last edited:
Yuval has been pretty impressive at the 4 spot so far. When Goj comes back soon and everyone slides downs spot it’s going to be pretty fun to watch. Zlob has been tcob at 6 as well. Tons of options at 5/6.

The women won their first match of the ITA Indoor Championships (which, interestingly, was played outdoors at South Carolina). But they lost today to #14 South Carolina. They lost a close double point and then lost all 6 first sets in singles. The women showed some fight and took 4 matches to 3 sets, but eventually lost 4-0. It probably would have been 6-1 or 5-2 if all the matches were completed.

Back