• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - Men ACC Reg Season & Tourn Champs, NCAA & Indoor Runner Up

Rafi

Reaction score
Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - Men ACC Reg Season & Tourn Champs, NCAA & Indoor Runner Up

After an insane 2018 season, that ended with the Wake men as the national champions, Petros as the singles champion, and Gojo as the singles runner up, the Deacs return soon to defend their title. Rankings will come out Jan 9th, and the first home match of the year will be Jan 16th for the men and then a triple header (two matches for the women and one for the men) on Jan 19th.

I predict the men will start the year ranked #1 and Petros will be ranked #1 in the country. I think the women will be ranked #15.

Last edited:
I predict the men's lineup will be:

Gojo
Petros
Bar
Banthia
Melios
Zlobinsky (indoors)/Nava (outdoors)

Doubles is always more fluid, but I'll go with:

Gojo/Banthia
Petros/Bar
Melios/Gadjiev

For the women I'll go with:

Davis
Omirou
Carter
Pesavento
Ulyashchenko
Zalewski

Carter/Davis
Omirou/Pesavento
Ulyashchenko/Meredith

is gojo officially coming back?

I think the answer is almost certainly yes. It has been hinted at for a while on social media and he is listed on the roster on the Wake website, which has been updated to add the new players.

Are we a legitimate #1?

I assume we potentially are stronger in singles and weaker in doubles?

Who else will be strong?

I think we’re a legitimate #1, but other teams are also going to be improved this year.

We will probably be weaker in doubles but that doesn’t mean we won’t be good. Losing your top 2-3 double players is tough but we have a ton of talent.

In singles, our 1-4/5 (5 assumes Gojo returns) is really really strong. I’m excited about Bar having another year under his belt and think he’ll be a stud.

I haven’t looked to much into the new guys outside their ITA rankings - can anyone provide a short breakdown of strengths and weaknesses?

Are we a legitimate #1?

I assume we potentially are stronger in singles and weaker in doubles?

Who else will be strong?

I think UNC, Baylor, UCLA, Miss State, A&M, and USC will all be very good.

I predict the men's lineup will be:

Gojo
Petros
Bar
Banthia
Melios
Zlobinsky (indoors)/Nava (outdoors)

Doubles is always more fluid, but I'll go with:

Gojo/Banthia
Petros/Bar
Melios/Gadjiev

I like it but I think Melios will come in at 4 and I think 5 and 6 will be fluid. I hope Banthia can put a lock hold on one of those spots. The other one will probably be a committee which I hate but who knows. Cungu, Gadjiev, and Solomon will all be there some too.

I like it but I think Melios will come in at 4 and I think 5 and 6 will be fluid. I hope Banthia can put a lock hold on one of those spots. The other one will probably be a committee which I hate but who knows. Cungu, Gadjiev, and Solomon will all be there some too.

A lot of optimism that Gojo will be back. Anyone know if he is back on campus ?

The men play their first matches this Wednesday, Jan 16th, at home vs Wofford at 3 PM and Gardner Webb at 6 pm at the Wake Indoor.

Anyone know if there will be video today? They didn't include links in match-day write up so I was assuming no. Article in WSJ said no Borna today due to minor injury but possibly back by Saturday's match. I'll go with the following for the first match:

1. Petros
2. Bar
3. Melios
4. Banthia
5. Gadjiev
6. Zlobinsky

By the looks of it, Wofford has a solid 1 and 2, but it drops off from there.

This team has the chance to be really special, certainly if we can find some quality pairings in doubles.

Rafi or anyone else know if a team has had both the defending national champion and runner up back on the same team the following year?

Anyone know if there will be video today? They didn't include links in match-day write up so I was assuming no. Article in WSJ said no Borna today due to minor injury but possibly back by Saturday's match. I'll go with the following for the first match:

1. Petros
2. Bar
3. Melios
4. Banthia
5. Gadjiev
6. Zlobinsky

By the looks of it, Wofford has a solid 1 and 2, but it drops off from there.

Apparently Wake doesn't have much respect for Wofford. We won the doubles point, and in singles we have the following:

Melios
Rrzert
Solomon
Zlobinsky
Banthia
Dill

Back