• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - Men ACC Reg Season & Tourn Champs, NCAA & Indoor Runner Up

This team has the chance to be really special, certainly if we can find some quality pairings in doubles.

Rafi or anyone else know if a team has had both the defending national champion and runner up back on the same team the following year?

That's a great question. I'll have to do some web searching...

No Petros or Gojo and singles and we are still cruising with 4 of our guys winning first sets 6-0, 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3 and another one leading.

Up 3-0 and now just a matter of time and whether a Deac will lose a set as Melios is battling in a 1st set tiebreaker.

4-0 with Melios winning his 1st set tiebreaker by a point and Dill close to winning his match and Cungu battling in 2nd set after a 6-0 1st set.

Nice start!

Anybody want to post the bottom line for me? Thanks.

Anybody want to post the bottom line for me? Thanks.

The Deacs sat their top 3 players (Gojo, Petros, Botzer) for the first match and beat Wofford 7-0. In the second match they again sat Gojo and Botzer (they also didn't play Gadjiev) and won 6-1, with the freshman from Cyprus (Melios) dropping his match at 2 singles. A really dominant performance, overall.

This Saturday the men and women have a triple-header at home, with the men getting their ACC and NCAA championship rings before taking on a good #24 Arizona State team.

The article in the newspaper said that there was a chance that Gojo could play Saturday night, but no mention of Botzer. Anyone that was at the matches yesterday have any idea of his injury. Certainly possible that they are both minor and they were held out to rest up.

The article in the newspaper said that there was a chance that Gojo could play Saturday night, but no mention of Botzer. Anyone that was at the matches yesterday have any idea of his injury. Certainly possible that they are both minor and they were held out to rest up.

I was wondering the same. I didn't make the matches yesterday but will on Saturday.

Twitter says everyone but Cungu won. Zlobinsky closed it out and Botzer won late.

Botzer won the third set 6–1. He beat Nathan Ponwith, UGA transfer (and an interesting backstory), who is a really solid player. Botzer got better as the match went on.

I was really impressed with Banthia. He’s like Botzer in that he’s not overpowering but he’s really skilled and has all the shots. He would be a great 6 singles player.

Sounds like Borna might not play for a while.

Rafi or anyone else know if a team has had both the defending national champion and runner up back on the same team the following year?

I just looked into this, and if Gojo returns this year it will be the first time ever that the NCAA singles finalist and champ from the same team both return the next year. Pretty cool.

Botzer won the third set 6–1. He beat Nathan Ponwith, UGA transfer (and an interesting backstory), who is a really solid player. Botzer got better as the match went on.

I was really impressed with Banthia. He’s like Botzer in that he’s not overpowering but he’s really skilled and has all the shots. He would be a great 6 singles player.

Sounds like Borna might not play for a while.

What’s the scoop with Gojo? Injury or something else?

Doubles will take time to figure out but that couldn't be avoided with all the losses from last year's lineup. Repeating at ITA Indoors will be tough if we run into an experienced team that wins the doubles point and has enough fire power to get 3 courts in singles.
Long term this team will be just as good in singles as last year, might even wind up being better. Melios has a ton of game and Siddhant will really help solidify 5/6 - really liked watching those two guys yesterday. It'll be interesting with the returning guys who get chances at the bottom of the lineup between Yuval, Gadj, Nava, Zlobinsky, Rezi.

Back