• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Tennis 2019 - Men ACC Reg Season & Tourn Champs, NCAA & Indoor Runner Up

Why? Seems bizarre to withdraw from your last collegiate competition after all that play and success.

Complete speculation here, but Wake’s graduation was yesterday. Maybe a combo of being physically drained and Petros preferring to go to his graduation over trying to repeat.

Them playing or not had nothing to Dow it’s Bar being in the tourney. They all three were in the draw

I think 4 PM today. His opponent, the #1 from Illinois (Kovacevic), is really good and has had a great year.

Bar had to withdraw secondary to injury.

What a disappointing end to an awesome 2 seasons. Oh well. We're a tennis dynasty now.

We're a tennis dynasty now.

That's for sure. To recap just the past 2 seasons:

2017 Fall Doubles National Championship (Petros and Skander)
2018 Indoor Team National Championship
2018 ACC Regular Season Championship
2018 ACC Tournament Championship
2018 NCAA Team Championship
2018 NCAA Singles Champion (Petros)
2018 NCAA Singles Runner-up (Gojo)
2018 Fall Singles National Championship (Petros)
2019 Indoor Team Runner-up
2019 ACC Regular Season Championship
2019 ACC Tournament Championship
2019 NCAA Runner-up

Will be interesting to see if we can keep this up. I think it's inevitable that there will be a little drop.

Bar
Melios
Cungu
Sid

Those 4 should all be back in the top 6. Nava and Solomon will compete for spots as well, and then the two more highly touted freshman, Taha Baadi and Henri Squire. Would love to see us grab a transfer, or another stud recruit.

Will be interesting to see if we can keep this up. I think it's inevitable that there will be a little drop.

Bar
Melios
Cungu
Sid

Those 4 should all be back in the top 6. Nava and Solomon will compete for spots as well, and then the two more highly touted freshman, Taha Baadi and Henri Squire. Would love to see us grab a transfer, or another stud recruit.

How highly touted are those 2 freshmen? Should we expect their impact to be more like Sid and Melios than at the Gojo level?

How highly touted are those 2 freshmen? Should we expect their impact to be more like Sid and Melios than at the Gojo level?

Yes, I would think more like Sid and Melios, but you never know until they have been on campus a few weeks.

Gojo still has another year of eligibility. I think most are assuming he won't be back, which is likely the correct assumption, but I thought that last year too and he ended up coming back.

There is a pathway for him to possibly return but I don't know if the university would/could be that flexible.

There is a pathway for him to possibly return but I don't know if the university would/could be that flexible.

Flexible in what way? Seems like we will be opposite of the last few years. Weak in the 2 or 3 spots but hopefully deep.

I wonder why we have not recruited a US Blue Chip player, another Noah Rubin, the last couple of years.

I wonder why we have not recruited a US Blue Chip player, another Noah Rubin, the last couple of years.

Rubin was the highest rated American recruit in well over a decade, and there have not been other American recruits at his level (though some have been close). There have been international recruits at Rubin's level, and Wake has signed two of them (Petros and Gojo). I think Bresky is trying to find the absolute best players he can, and he is less concerned about their nationality. I do know that Wake recruited Nakashima hard (he's from San Diego), but he ended up at UVA.

Rubin was the highest rated American recruit in well over a decade, and there have not been other American recruits at his level (though some have been close). There have been international recruits at Rubin's level, and Wake has signed two of them (Petros and Gojo). I think Bresky is trying to find the absolute best players he can, and he is less concerned about their nationality. I do know that Wake recruited Nakashima hard (he's from San Diego), but he ended up at UVA.

While I do wonder as well why we've not had more success recruiting the top American kids, like Rafi said, we have tried. I don't know all of the cases, but we had William Blumberg on campus, we were very close on Alex Rybakov, we had Alex Rotsaert (Stanford) on campus, Drew Baird just looked at us very hard before committing to UCLA, and these are just some that I know about. I am sure there are others. I know we tried hard for Oliver Crawford. It's Bresky's job to get the best kids, but you'd think with our success some of the top Americans would eventually choose us.

Is it easier for non-USA kids to get money to go to Wake? Either via Wake, their own country, their country's tennis federation, etc.? It looks like fully funded men's tennis programs are allowed 4.5 scholarships, so I assume all but the top one or two players on a team are going to be getting some sort of a partial ride and need to come up with money for the rest of their college bill.

Is it easier for non-USA kids to get money to go to Wake? Either via Wake, their own country, their country's tennis federation, etc.? It looks like fully funded men's tennis programs are allowed 4.5 scholarships, so I assume all but the top one or two players on a team are going to be getting some sort of a partial ride and need to come up with money for the rest of their college bill.

Your last sentence is correct regarding scholarship numbers and partials. I'm not sure about your questions, but I think it is just that there is such a large pool of international players that it is easier to find players that are good and willing to cover some of their costs.

Early summer results:

Incoming Fr Taha Baadi has won 2 matches at the French Open juniors and is in the 3rd round tomorrow
Incoming Fr Henri Squire won yesterday in a German futures qualifying match and plays again this AM
Rising Jr Yuval Solomon won 2 matches to qualify for the Mexico futures this week and plays in the main draw tomorrow

Back