• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - 2 pm Saturday - ACC Opener

I nominate wrangor for interim head coach.

His inability/unwillingness to see what others did much earlier disqualifies him. His background as a coach might have actually blinded him.

kaye let bzz win a game, a Wake win here would give the talking point to keep him.

Didn’t watch the second half but GT scored 24 in the last 3:07

That’s on pace for 308 points, which is a lot

Heck, lil Chill scored 14 in the last 1:47 by himself. I don't think I've ever seen a more meaningless 14 points.

His inability/unwillingness to see what others did much earlier disqualifies him. His background as a coach might have actually blinded him.

True, but he’s got to be better than anyone currently in the AD.

The only hope from today is Mit Shah was behind the bench. Maybe he can raise some hell. Money talks

Maybe hope that Shah can buy out Well-Man's contract and put him out raking leaves and riding his bicycle permanently

Watching the rerun now only beacause I’m drunk and nothing on YouTube. No fucking way Torry should be starting over Sharone. No way Hoard is top 10 prospect. He should really stay 1 more year and see how he could develop with a REAL coach. Manning is a fucking joke. He is literally an oversized mr potato head doll with an oversized suit on repeat on a horizontal 20 foot wide walk cycle. Sarr sucks. Fuck Manning. Fuck wellman. Fuck hatch. Fuck the last 10 years

The only hope from today is Mit Shah was behind the bench. Maybe he can raise some hell. Money talks

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/author/mytakeonwhatever13/

"Shah was one of the influential boosters behind the hiring of Danny Manning before the 2014-15 season. And I, for one, won’t hold that against him. There were plenty of people at the time who thought the hiring of one of the great names in the history of college basketball was a gamble worth taking.

Yet I just had to wonder what was going through Shah’s bright mind as he watched the Deacons stumble to a pretty cut-and-dried loss to a Tech team picked to finish one spot ahead of them at 13th in the ACC preseason predictions. Surely, by now, he has concluded what is obvious for anyone to see..."

I nominate wrangor for interim head coach.

I accept. Just to mix things up I will take on Donald Ross as head recruiter (not afraid to get a little dirty), PH as associate head coach (he always knows what to do), and RJ as the DOB, because what the hell, at least we will have some fun.

In all seriousness even this long out of the game, I could get this team playing defense. We have enough defensive pieces out there. I was really hard on Woods, Crawford, and Moore as defenders in the past, because quite honestly they are terrible man to man defenders, but there is no excuse for any of our current players not being able to guard effectively on anything outside of paint touches. We should be swarming the ball at all times with our length and quickness.

It baffles me that we aren't fronting almost everything, shutting down ball reversal, and forcing a lot of turnovers. When you can't defend the post (which we really can't at this point due to personnel), you have to force turnovers to create easy opportunities on your end. We should be emphasizing deflections and steals and instead we are playing 2-3 zone. Out of all the damning information against Manning, this is perhaps my greatest pet peeve. He can't see the path to victory. He is trying to defend like he has a current Kansas lineup, instead of understanding that he hasn't recruiting sufficient big men to play that way.

Even when we have had big men, we haven't defended, so his fundamentals in practice are just off.

Meh, people calling for Manning's head 6 months after a NCAA tournament birth were premature. No AD in their right mind would have fired Manning this offseason. Also no AD in their right mind would have given a guaranteed 6 year extension (if the reports are true), but when a coach is in the midst of signing a top 25 class, and potentially a top 10 class (we were still in the mix for Devoe, Ayo, Montgomery) you can't fire a guy. Timing wasn't right. We would have ended up with another Dino situation where you make the right decision at the wrong time. Dino was fired a year to early, and we are probably still paying for it.

If I am flawed against making sure a head coach gets a fair shot, so be it. I didn't give [Redacted] the same leash I did Manning because Manning had to clean up so much crap (still not sure every fan understands the job he did for our recruiting image). Year 3 NCAA tournament birth + cleaning up the crap gives Manning a grace year in my book. When Crawford and Moore left it was pretty clear Manning was screwed, but you still have to let the coach fail (something we didn't allow Dino to do which became a hiring problem). Coaches want to know they will be given a fair shot, if they don't think they will get a chance to implement their program, they won't come. Everyone is getting paid, so fairness is paramount in finding a great coach.

Meh, people calling for Manning's head 6 months after a NCAA tournament birth were premature. No AD in their right mind would have fired Manning this offseason. Also no AD in their right mind would have given a guaranteed 6 year extension (if the reports are true), but when a coach is in the midst of signing a top 25 class, and potentially a top 10 class (we were still in the mix for Devoe, Ayo, Montgomery) you can't fire a guy. Timing wasn't right. We would have ended up with another Dino situation where you make the right decision at the wrong time. Dino was fired a year to early, and we are probably still paying for it.

If I am flawed against making sure a head coach gets a fair shot, so be it. I didn't give [Redacted] the same leash I did Manning because Manning had to clean up so much crap (still not sure every fan understands the job he did for our recruiting image). Year 3 NCAA tournament birth + cleaning up the crap gives Manning a grace year in my book. When Crawford and Moore left it was pretty clear Manning was screwed, but you still have to let the coach fail (something we didn't allow Dino to do which became a hiring problem). Coaches want to know they will be given a fair shot, if they don't think they will get a chance to implement their program, they won't come. Everyone is getting paid, so fairness is paramount in finding a great coach.

This is a great (fair) synopsis of where we were and are right now. I tried, I mean I really tried, to give Manning more breaks than he deserved primarily because I wanted him to be successful. I loved seeing Wake's name associated with some of the best prospects in the country. Our recruiting image was restored under Danny, we just missed or couldn't seal the deal - which is hard when you are at Wake. However, the lack of success in every other "coaching" area has indicated that we need a fresh start. Wake will never pull a UCLA (I wish) and fire a head coach mid-season. I say play the young guns and work towards next year. Sad, that I am saying that and the ACC season has just started.

I honestly don't know what to say ... we both suck. I have no clue how we scored as many as we did, but it was fun to see for once. Mostly though, watching two once proud programs circle the toilet bowl is just depressing. Is there a single player you saw last night on either team you feel 100% will get a 2nd NBA contract?

I understand your empathy for a coach and the bias towards a long leash. What is harder to understand is not seeing just how badly Manning screwed up almost all of his coaching decisions. Playing the wrong line-ups. Sitting productive players when they should have played. No defensive identity. Time-outs. Inability to adjust game plans. Inability to structure a plan based on personnel.

This is a guy that would not play 2 bigs together when he had Collins & Moore on the bench. This was a guy who played 4 guards at a time when our guards were tiny.

He is unable to identify his own teams strengths and weakness and come up with a plan to use them. Just a complete failure outside of recruiting.

You’re providing analysis as though it is insightful. But you’re preaching to the choir. Most of us saw this stuff earlier that you’re just now willing to acknowledge.

You’re providing analysis as though it is insightful. But you’re preaching to the choir. Most of us saw this stuff earlier that you’re just now willing to acknowledge.

Exactly. And even at the time we said it didn’t matter if we had good recruits if we are wasting them with bad coaching. We just saw him waste Crawford, Moore, and Woods as juniors with 11 wins. Why would we trust him to coach Hoard, Mucius, and Wright?

I saw trouble in the first Manning season when he called a timeout and didn't have any left!! Shows total lack of coordination and inexcusable at this level of play. For a kid to panic and make that mistake.... that's one thing. But NOT an ACC head coach who has like 5 assistants.

Last edited:
Exactly. And even at the time we said it didn’t matter if we had good recruits if we are wasting them with bad coaching. We just saw him waste Crawford, Moore, and Woods as juniors with 11 wins. Why would we trust him to coach Hoard, Mucius, and Wright?

Those six with lil Chill and Donavan Mitchell would have been a fun group with a good coach, and a coach that could inspire them to play hard and together. Oh well...

Those that tout Manning’s recruiting fail to understand that we were only involved with some potential high profile recruits early on because it hadn’t been proven that he was a bad coach. As soon as that was obvious, the well ran dry. And the only reason Hoard is here is because of Sarr. Really hope he stays. We have decent talent, but the horrendous coaching makes it obsolete.

Calling for a coaches head is never difficult. There is always cannon fodder. I obviously took an optimistic approach to Manning developing as a coach. He didn’t develop.

Our talent level was getting to a point in year 4 and with the class in year 5 looking good that I hoped manning would improve and the recruits would kick in to take us to a higher plateau.

We tanked miserably in close games and we lost our two best players and 2 role players in the offseason that in a normal scenario would be here.

Not sure what you are looking for...a mea culpa? Obviously my hopes did not come to fruition. I wish they had. We all probably wish they had.

Whose analysis is insightful anyway? Just a Bunch of armchair cowboys speaking out of turn.

Back