• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - 2 pm Saturday - ACC Opener

Pilchard

Reaction score
The Deacs travel to Atlanta to take on GT tomorrow. WF has not won a men's basketball game at Tech since an 80-76 win in 2004. Justin Gray, who is now 34, was WF's leading scorer that year; Jarret Jack and BJ Elder played for GT (who played for the Natty that April). George W Bush was in his first term as President, and Donald Trump was coming off divorce #2, and starting his first year on the Apprentice. A simpler time. Since that win on Sunday February 22, 2004, WF is 0-12 at GT, evenly spread among: Prosser (0-3), Gaudio (0-3), [] (0-3), Manning (0-3). Last year, WF led in the final 10 minutes, but collapsed late (shocker) to lose 64-56. Crawford was WF's leading scorer with 22 (and 8 TOs). Okogie led GT with 22 as well.

Record: Josh Pastner has led GT to 8-5 OOC record heading into ACC play. KP #98. GT is 1-6 against teams ranked in the top 200 (WF is #153). With home losses to Gardner-Webb (#166 -- sound familiar?) and UGA (#101). Tech's best win, by far was a 4 point upset at Arkansas (#53) on December 19. Other than that outlier win, GT 's next best win was over #243 Texas Rio Grande Valley. Like WF, GT has played a pathetic OOC schedule (#315).

Offense: Worst in the conference by a mile #228. This is a terrible offensive team. GT shoots poorly (30.5% from 3 #297), turns the ball over a lot (TOs on 20.5 % of their possessions - #261), and they don't offensive rebound well (#214); this is against a bad schedule. The Jackets do get to the line fairly often (#79 in FTA/FGA). They play at a moderate tempo (#166).

Defense: Excellent. KP #24. Pastner has his team playing hard on D; they play mostly man. They are #11 in effective FG% (43%), and they have been particularly strong at defending the 3 (27% #7). They have also excelled at defending the paint holding opponents to 44% on 2 point shots (#26). GT also forces TOs (#62). The one weakness of GT's aggressive D is that they foul often (#293 in FTA/FGA; WF's primary offensive strength has been getting to the line as WF is #4 in the nation in FTA/FGA offense).

Lineup: Like WF, GT is young. They return only one player that started against WF last year, Evan Cole (he is coming off an injury, but played well against SC-Upstate on Wednesday) . In GT's last game, they started 2 frosh, 2 sophs and 1 junior: PG 6-0 So. Jose Alvarado, 2G 6-4 SG Fr. Michael Devoe, 6-6 SG Fr. Khalid Moore, 6-9 PF So. Moses Wright and 6-9 Jr. C James Banks (transfer from Texas). Pastner likes to use his bench, and with Cole back, GT will go 9 or 10 deep. GT's bigs are not a threat from 3. GT best two 3 point shooters, Brandon Alston (45%) and Curtis Haywood (36%) have been coming off the bench. PG Jose Alvarado takes a lot of 3s and misses a lot of them 25% on 67 attempts. James Banks has been very effective inside for the Jackets as he shoots 58% from the field, gets to the line a lot, and has been a strong rebounder. In the win over Arkansas, Banks had 14 points and 14 boards. He is going to be a tough match up for Smart and Sarr.

Bottom Line: KP projects a 72-64 GT win. The game shapes up to be a low scoring defensive struggle. Excepting the win over historically putrid Pitt last year, WF has not won an ACC road game since John Collins led WF to a win at VT on March 4, 2017. WF is 0-2 on the road this year. Given WF recent and historic road woes, hard to find any reason to think WF is going to win tomorrow. With that said, have a hunch WF may steal one tomorrow. Even if that happens, there is a major reality check ahead as WF will be double digit dogs and massively outclassed in its next 5 games.

Last edited:
This may be our last chance for a win streak this season.

Pastner is the fucking worst. Spin on it, camera hogging walk-on wannabe. :fu:

So Pastner was a sub 6 foot walk-on who wound up coaching a mediocre conference team to 167 wins and 4 NCAA appearances and now sucks as an out-of-his-depth ACC coach for a once-great basketball program? Kinda like another sub 6' walk-on who won 112 games with only 1 tourney appearance for a shitty conference team?

I believe that we are 3-17 in our last 20 years at Tech. Wake Will ... find a way to lose in Atlanta.

saddest game on the ACC slate, bar none

two once proud programs on a collision course with road uniforms on Tuesday of the ACC Tournament

btw GT has taken the lead in the alltime series, 42-40, by winning 7 of the last 10 meetings

Amazing we haven't won there in 15 years as bad as they have been

cGgZA.jpg

Amazing we haven't won there in 15 years as bad as they have been

Unfortunately, I've witnessed a number of these in person.
I just don't get it.
Seems like it's easier for us to win at UNC or Duke than at GT

Unfortunately, I've witnessed a number of these in person.
I just don't get it.
Seems like it's easier for us to win at UNC or Duke than at GT

These games tend to run together for me, but I was at what I think was the 2009 game. We had the ball with a finial possession chance to win the game and inexplicably threw a sidelines inbound pass to nobody. The ball just rolled out of bounds and we lost on a Shumpfort jump shot.

These games tend to run together for me, but I was at what I think was the 2009 game. We had the ball with a finial possession chance to win the game and inexplicably threw a sidelines inbound pass to nobody. The ball just rolled out of bounds and we lost on a Shumpfort jump shot.

I was there - pretty sure GT led for 0:03 or something like that of the entire game

that game let me know WF was not going anywhere in 2009 - I won't say I called Cleveland State, but it was not a huge shock

It really doesn't make sense that Wake has been so bad at Ga Tech. The thrill has been gone from the Thriller Dome for some time. Tech hasn't competed for an ACC regular season title in years. Does the team take the bus to ATL? Wake has a better record at other ACC venues farther away.

In looking at the losses at GT, IIRC, both Dino and Skip had OT losses at the Thriller Dome. WF has blown several late leads at GT, which would include last year's loss.

Back