• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

George Welsh (UVA) passes away

Crazy to see a goal line tackle to end the game not followed by 5 minutes of replay review.

He succeeded at Navy with a passing game. Under appreciated for his program building.

He succeeded at Navy with a passing game. Under appreciated for his program building.
He commanded my respect through thick and thin and there was very little thin in his life and career.
I admired his directness too but wanted him to lose every time the Deacs came in contact.

Crazy to see a goal line tackle to end the game not followed by 5 minutes of replay review.

What a game. I used to always get bummed as a kid when I found out that we were playing UVA, we were their little bitches my entire childhood.

Quick question, anyone know when UVA bowled in field house end zone? I’ve always wondered what made them do that, it’s a clean look and all, but they didn’t really need the extra seating room. My bet was they raised the money for it after this win.

134-86-3 at UVA (.608)

18-1 vs. WF (.947)
14-5 vs. Duke (.737)

102-80-3 vs everybody else (.559)

the man owned WF - ended his career on a 17-game win streak against WF, and the last 14 of those were all by at least 8 points

He did a great job at Navy and UVA. At least till his last 2-3 years when he was starting to check out a bit. Then the always diplomatic Al Groh killed instate recruiting to UVA, and it still hasn't come back. UVA and VT were both fun games to go to back in the mid-late 90s after moving here.

Hate to hear that. He was a very good coach that completely turned around UVa.

Always respected him. He was a very good coach.
My father went to UVA so I usually rooted for them, except when they played Wake.

Always respected him. He was a very good coach.
My father went to UVA so I usually rooted for them, except when they played Wake.

I always thought his demeanor made him a great face of that program. Great coach. RIP.

What a game. I used to always get bummed as a kid when I found out that we were playing UVA, we were their little bitches my entire childhood.

Quick question, anyone know when UVA bowled in field house end zone? I’ve always wondered what made them do that, it’s a clean look and all, but they didn’t really need the extra seating room. My bet was they raised the money for it after this win.

ETA: After a $25 million donation in 1997 the school used $23 million to expand Scott Stadium by the year 2000. Pretty crappy timing, they haven’t done much at all since then other than Schaub’s years and the year Sewell was playing out of his mind.

134-86-3 at UVA (.608)

18-1 vs. WF (.947)
14-5 vs. Duke (.737)

102-80-3 vs everybody else (.559)

the man owned WF - ended his career on a 17-game win streak against WF, and the last 14 of those were all by at least 8 points
I recall during those years that WF folks seemed to think we were in pretty good shape to steal a win against Welsh but we rarely did so I say “overconfidence” never helped us. But basically they always simply outplayed us with really talented players.

Back