• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

I'd rather win the majority and let McConnell watch everything from the minority.

Republicans have won every KY senate race since 2000. 6 for 6. Only one of those races was close, Jim Bunning beat Daniel Mongiardo by 2 points in 2004. In the two most recent races, Rand Paul won by 15 points in 2016 and McConnell won by 14 points in 2014. Would love to see the Turtle lose, but just don't KY changing enough for McConnell lose his seat next November.

In my lifetime, there has never been an election remotely like this one.

Dems thought they had a chance in Tennessee in 2018 since they were running a former governor of the state. He lost by double digits. And Trump won Kentucky by a larger margin than he won Tennessee.

Dems should not be spending money in Kentucky, they're not raising enough that they can afford to waste it on a state they won't win. That's why they recruited someone to run who has proven she can raise funds herself.

Democrat challenging Mitch McConnell raises $10.7 million in third quarter

Sanguinetti drops GOP congressional bid: Likely Ives versus Casten super battle in Illinois’ 6th District

Former Illinois Lt. Gov. Evelyn Sanguinetti, facing an uphill slugfest in her GOP congressional primary against former state Rep. Jeanne Ives, on Friday dropped out of the contest, setting up a likely showdown between Ives and freshman Rep. Sean Casten, D-Ill.

“There has been enough destruction in the Republican Party from past election cycles, and I choose not to contribute further to it by engaging in a costly and negative campaign against my opponents,” Sanguinetti said in a statement announcing her departure from the primary.

Ives comes from the anti-GOP establishment, pro-President Donald Trump wing of the party while Sanguinetti is a more centrist conservative. Both women oppose abortion, while Casten supports abortion rights.

One issue in a Casten-Ives general election contest would be where the moderate Republicans in the district land and the impact of the ongoing Trump impeachment inquiry - and potential impeachment.

Sanguinetti had the endorsements of current and former Illinois Republicans who have politically thrived in the suburbs: Rep. Adam Kinzinger, former Sen. Mark Kir, former Rep. Judy Biggert, former Lt. Gov. Corinne Wood and Dan Cronin, the DuPage County chairman.

The National Republican Congressional Committee, the House GOP political organization, was giving an assist to Sanguinetti, adding her name to their “Young Guns” program.

Ives made national news running against the incumbent Republican governor with this campaign commercial:

The district voted for Romney in 2012 and Clinton in 2016.

AOC's two Republican challengers each raised over $400K in the last quarter.

AOC raised $1.4 million.

Susan Collins' challenger outraised her by $1 million. (Collins has significantly more cash on hand, though.)

Mark Kelly outraised Martha McSalley by a bunch and has more cash on hand.

Anyway, seems Dems are still donating, good to see enthusiasm is still there, especially for the non-presidential races.

Still an uphill battle, and I wish that some Democrats with real potential or a bigger name, like Jeff Jackson here in NC, were willing to run, but it's nice to hear that GOP Senators are struggling, at least for the moment. I think Collins in ME and McSally in AZ are in real trouble, as is Gardner in CO. The problem is that Doug Jones in Alabama is likely to lose, unless Roy Moore is his opponent again. That means the Democrats will need to gain 5 seats to win control. It may come down to Tillis here in NC and a handful of other races, like Ernest in Iowa.

ETA: Other than Jones, I don't see the Democrats losing any other Senate seat next year, barring some unforeseen event or scandal with an individual Democrat up for election.

Last edited:
Another sign she's running 3rd party.

She had a tough competitor and it's clear that she's not as liberal as her district.

Oh, and I see she made the announcement on Hannity, and delivered right wing talking points on impeachment. Lovely.

She had a tough competitor and it's clear that she's not as liberal as her district.

Oh, and I see she made the announcement on Hannity, and delivered right wing talking points on impeachment. Lovely.

I get the feeling that she's been planning a third-party run for a long while, perhaps even before she announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination. We'll see if it gets any traction, though. I have a feeling that appearing regularly on the Fox News nightly lineup isn't going to get her many votes from the liberal side of the aisle. She'll need to appear on CNN or MSNBC or NPR or something like that to hope to get any traction there.

Yeah. She seems to be appealing more to conservatives than liberals but I definitely think she will court the Bernie or Bust crowd.

disgusting and unbelievably selfish for a Democrat to run as a 3rd party candidate when Trump is up for re-election

Yeah, I mean Hannity is probably most voter's first introduction to her.

This is what I was thinking. I don’t know anyone even considering her.

Big races in KY, MS, and VA today.

Back