• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

Yeah, the senate flipped 21-19 Pub to 21-19 Dem. If the vote tallies hold, it'll probably be 54-55 (out of 100) in the house. As was the case 2 years ago, the pickups were in the NoVa, Richmond and Tidewater suburbs and exurbs.

Yeah, the senate flipped 21-19 Pub to 21-19 Dem. If the vote tallies hold, it'll probably be 54-55 (out of 100) in the house. As was the case 2 years ago, the pickups were in the NoVa, Richmond and Tidewater suburbs and exurbs.

Looking good for the US Senate in 2020!

The answer to gerrymandering is not moar gerrymandering. They need to put law(s) in place to ensure fair districting going forward and explain why what they did is in the best interest of all Virginians. Maybe bring in Stacy Abrams' coalition. Real hugh profile stuff to help push other states into making the case. The VA dems need to make their message simple, real, and substantive. Bringing in an Abrams just might help that messaging.

If they did that then I think there would be hell to pay, and not just from Democrats. KY Public School teachers would probably riot. I don't think the GOP legislature will do it, not only because of the backlash, but from what I've read Mitch McConnell hates Bevin and is perfectly glad to see him dumped from office. McConnell probably has enough influence within the state to lean on the legislature to stop if they tried to go that far. He's apparently pretty proud that his protege, Daniel Cameron, won the State Attorney General's office, and my guess is he doesn't want the legislature to possibly screw up Cameron's chances to run for KY governor himself in four years.

Last edited:
The answer to gerrymandering is not moar gerrymandering. They need to put law(s) in place to ensure fair districting going forward and explain why what they did is in the best interest of all Virginians. Maybe bring in Stacy Abrams' coalition. Real hugh profile stuff to help push other states into making the case. The VA dems need to make their message simple, real, and substantive. Bringing in an Abrams just might help that messaging.

Well, Representative Abrams is certainly a universally loved and respected figure.

can you provide another downside besides “it doesn’t result in moderate elected officials”?

I have NEVER cared about "moderate" people being elected. Those were someone else's words. I don't like the process in and of itself.

If it led to all progressives, it wouldn't matter.

Not sure what you mean. What she did in GA was pretty impressive considering the road blocks.

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

If they did that then I think there would be hell to pay, and not just from Democrats. KY Public School teachers would probably riot. I don't think the GOP legislature will do it, not only because of the backlash, but from what I've read Mitch McConnell hates Bevin and is perfectly glad to see him dumped from office. McConnell probably has enough influence within the state to lean on the legislature to stop if they tried to go that far. He's apparently pretty proud that his protege, Daniel Cameron, won the State Attorney General's office, and my guess is he doesn't want the legislature to possibly screw up Cameron's chances to run for KY governor himself in four years.

This is a good take. Another Beshear is no threat to Mitch.

I know it’s weird to claim Mitch knows better than to let legislators tack themselves to a shitty exec of their own party.

Saw the head of the KY Dem party drop a "ditch moscow mitch"

I have NEVER cared about "moderate" people being elected. Those were someone else's words. I don't like the process in and of itself.

If it led to all progressives, it wouldn't matter.

so you don’t like ranked choice voting because you don’t like the process

good argument

I don't like just like I don't like open primaries. In either, too many games could be played.

My bad, if I don't agree with you, I must be wrong.

Looking good for the US Senate in 2020!

Not so fast. Sabato currently has CO, AZ and NC as toss-ups with ME & IA as red leans. Charlie Cook currently has CO, ME and AZ as toss-ups and NC as a red lean. AL is also a red lean, but I think that's a goner. The other recent change is Peters in MI has been downgraded to a blue lean. Much can and will change over the next year, but right now, the blue team would be doing well to pick up 1 or 2.

The trend that remains good here is the blue team is continuing to gain ground in educated white suburbia. That said, the recent spate of state polls v. Trump are a mixed bag at best. The EC continues to look iffy, however the national polls are looking bluer and bluer. Warren could win by 7-10 points, and we could have an EC squeeker. That would be a horrible result, and I fear the ramifications.

I don't like just like I don't like open primaries. In either, too many games could be played.

My bad, if I don't agree with you, I must be wrong.

No you're pretty good at being wrong no matter who you disagree with

Bevin refuses to accept the results of the will of the voters! Stop trying to negate the results of the election! Elections have consequences! Republicans are just sore losers!

Bevin refuses to accept the results of the will of the voters! Stop trying to negate the results of the election! Elections have consequences! Republicans are just sore losers!

I heard him on NPR this a.m. I have zero problem with any candidate within whatever the legal margin is to ask for a recount. But his alleging there are known irregularities without saying what they are was complete over the top fearmongering shit.

Back