• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

Is Mike Pompeo actively exploring a U.S. Senate race?

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo plans to meet with Sen. Pat Roberts in the near future amid a heavy recruitment by powerful Washington Republicans for Pompeo to run for Roberts’ seat.

Pompeo, 55, sent Roberts a congratulatory note after the Kansas Republican announced his plans to not seek re-election in 2020 after a four-decade career in Congress.

Roberts’ office does not have any knowledge of whether Pompeo will seek the seat, but the senator joked Thursday about playing phone tag with Pompeo and other potential candidates.

“There’s about 15 so far. I’m counting. But the one who called me and said he will call me back — it was some guy they call the secretary of state,” Roberts said.

Cooper, Hamon continue youth movement on Oklahoma City Council

Hamon, 28, upset Nathaniel Harding, an oil-and-gas executive who raised more than $140,000. An education coordinator at the Oklahoma Mental Health Association, Hamon depended on many donations of $25 to $50 and reported raising only $18,600.

The election of Cooper and Hamon continues a generational shift toward under-40 council members that began with David Holt’s election as mayor a year ago.

Getting out the word before Rep Ruben Gallego (D,AZ) could be key. The bench in AZ for Dems is surprisingly deep and Kelly is using it to his advantage to try and get the top talent before Gallego. Either would be awesome as their resumes are very strong.

I don't think McSalley can hold this seat in 2020.

Schumer is recruiting hard. Pretty sure I saw he’s working McGrath to take on Mitch.

Democrat Ibraheem Samirah wins House of Delegates 86th District special election

Dem hold, but worth watching for potential backlash against Dems in VA. (Very low turnout, but the Dem won with 60% of the vote, compared to 69% in 2017 and 55% in 2015. Most of the decrease compared to 2017 went to an Independent candidate.)

Samirah, a 27-year-old dentist, said he is focused on addressing transportation, health care, education, the economy and justice for all Virginians. He outraised his opponents in the Democratic district, pulling in $97,919 compared to Nelson's $20,369 and Hutchinson's $2,851, according to Virginia Public Access Project.

Also worth noting that the fundraising for Dems is still going strong. Which will be important with the presidential race taking up a ton of attention for the next two years.

Just submit absentee. You'll be fine.

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

Did some reading. Looks like Meadows dropped out of college and claims an associates degree after years of websites that say he earned a BA.

Did some reading about Colonel Davis too. He was the chief prosecutor at Gitmo and resigned because he refused to use evidence gained for waterboarding.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2008/04/29/exgitmo_prosecutor_charges_pentagon_interference.html

“Davis said he resigned hours after he was put in a chain of command beneath U.S. Defence Department General Counsel William Haynes, one of several officials who had encouraged the use of evidence even if it was gathered through waterboarding – an interrogation method that simulates drowning.

"The guy who said waterboarding is A-okay I was not going to take orders from. I quit," Davis said.”

Yeah. He’s going to get some serious donations.

Last edited:
Did some reading. Looks like Meadows dropped out of college and claims an associates degree after years of websites that say he earned a BA.

The Pocahontas crowd is going to PISSED.

Actually, I don't think that is going to be true. Federal courts here have invalidated 1 congressional district and weren't happy with the Pubs' proposed map last year in a case, I think to the extent the court was redrawing the map. There has been some legislation this GA session to establish an independent commission, which is what One Virginia 2021 has been pushing for the last few years. Not sure if that has passed as yet or not. It really is the fairer way to go, especially in purple states.

Democrat wins a suburban Pittsburgh state senate seat held by Republicans for the last 50 years.
https://www.wtae.com/article/result...t-special-election-pam-iovino-d-raja/27017368

The district voted for Trump by 6 pts and the previous Rep by 20+ pts.

Dems will need to hold the seat in 2020, but they have an outside chance of flipping the gerrymandered state senate. Or at least getting it close.

Republicans likely picked up a state supreme court seat in Wisconsin. Pretty disappointing after the Dems flipped a seat in 2018 by a double digit margin.

Back