• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

A friend of mine just announced he's going to run for local office within that state senate district.

As someone who grew up the 5th district, and just bought a house and will be returning to the district this summer, I swear on my grave that either I'll run or empower someone to beat Virginia Foxx is she's still there come 2022. This my oath.

I loathe her so much.

As someone who grew up the 5th district, and just bought a house and will be returning to the district this summer, I swear on my grave that either I'll run or empower someone to beat Virginia Foxx is she's still there come 2022. This my oath.

I loathe her so much.

:golfclap:

If the choice is Foxx or Brasky, I'm not sure I know how I'd vote.

BBQ accessories in every pot!

Guess we’ll find out if Bammers hate Democrats or Tigers more.

Mckayla Wilkes, a 28-year-old administrative assistant, part-time student, and mother of two, has had enough. In late March, she announced that she was mounting a bid for Maryland’s 5th Congressional District, aiming to unseat one of the oldest and most powerful Democratic members, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Wilkes is running on a host of progressive policies, but plans to put particular focus on Medicare for All, a Green New Deal, and affordable housing.

A student of political science, Wilkes hasn’t formerly been involved in politics before, but thinks the moment is too urgent to wait. She wants more “relatable people” in Congress and is fed up with Hoyer’s record, which she says does not adequately represent the needs of those living in his district. “We need someone who will be a voice for us, who knows what we go through as daily constituents, and Steny Hoyer has been in office so long he’s never really had to be a regular constituent,” she said. Hoyer, who is 79 years old, was first elected to Congress in 1981.

Wilkes’s platform, and specifically her plank on criminal justice, is in part shaped by her own experiences. She decided early to come out and share that she has a criminal record, an unconventional move that she hopes will help her earn voters’ trust. Her aunt, Sharon Carver, was a civilian employee killed at the Pentagon on 9/11, and after her death, Wilkes started acting out. “I skipped class and I ran away from home,” she tweeted. “I was in and out of the juvie from the ages of 14-17.”

Wilkes said this experience exposed her early to the abuses of the criminal justice system, and later on as a teen, she was arrested for having marijuana, though never charged for possession. She said she’s also had her license suspended for not paying traffic tickets on time, something she didn’t do because she was “in an extremely rough spot financially.” Wilkes was then charged with driving on a suspended license, but said if she didn’t drive to work, she would have lost her job.

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/19/steny-hoyer-primary-challenger/

Good luck to her. I think she’d be a great Senator.

Now that we know Beto is s donk, people are going to know they can do better than he did.

Hegar ran in a Romney +21 Trump +13 district and only lost by 3pts. Obviously a major uphill climb to win Texas, but worth keeping an eye on / kicking in a few $s.

https://www.mjfortexas.com/

Cornyn's campaign has responded by digging up old Patton Oswalt tweets with bad words in them. (And censoring the bad words for those sensitive Texans.) So that's a thing that's happening.

Since when are "vagina" and "scrotum" bad words?

Oh I get it. They're bad because they're science words.

Definitely Dems. Way more.

Yeah, when I lived in Birmingham I was amazed to see how many Alabama fans rooted for Auburn or LSU in bowl games. Maybe I'm wrong about ACC fans, but I feel like most of us would rather watch Duke and UNC burn.

Back