• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

One attendee told Ernst during the question-and-answer period he believed COVID-19 cases and deaths are being overcounted, a theory discounted by medical professionals who say the actual numbers are probably much higher than official tallies.

Ernst said she was "so skeptical" of those numbers as well.

"These health-care providers and others are reimbursed at a higher rate if COVID is tied to it, so what do you think they're doing?" she told the crowd.

Asked to clarify her remarks after the event, Ernst said that's "what I've heard" from health-care providers, but wasn't sure if that meant numbers were being inflated.

"They do get reimbursed higher amounts if it's a COVID-related illness or death," she said. "I heard the same thing on the news. ... They're thinking there may be 10,000 or less deaths that were actually singularly COVID-19. ... I'm just really curious. It would be interesting to know that."

Ernst, in rural Waterloo, says Senate race will be expensive, close

She damn well knows better than what she's saying. Pandering to the worst instincts and beliefs of her base to stay in office. The motto of the modern GOP.

Yeah, and the rona will probably be a big issue in that race because the rona numbers are on the rise in IA. Their numbers used to be low but have started to take off in the last few weeks. And that senate race is 1 of the top 3 or 4 to watch.

Are we really discussing state senate and house elections in Rhode Island here ? There are 28,000 people in her senate district. More people vote for an at large city councilperson in most cities.

I was previously asked for my opinion on judicial races in North Carolina. Here's how I will be voting, and how I will be encouraging friends and family to vote:

NC Supreme Court:
Chief Justice. Cheri Beasley over Paul Newby. This is probably the easiest decision. There's been no one in our state's judiciary more harmful to the rights of injured and financially harmed people than Newby.
Lucy Inman over Phil Berger Jr. This is almost as easy.
Mark Davis over Tamra Barringer. I think we're going to get a solid justice out of this election either way, but I will certainly be voting for Davis. Barringer appears to be an actual conservative, not a trump "conservative."

NC Court of Appeals
Seat 4. Tricia Shields over April Wood.
Seat 5. Fred Gore over Lora Cubbage.
Seat 6. Gray Styers over Chris Dillon.
Seat 7. Reuben Young over Jeff Carpenter.
Seat 13. Christopher Brook over Jefferson Griffin.

As any casual observer will note, I'm voting for almost all Democrats in these elections. Unfortunately, our judiciary has become (more) polarized and political under Republican control of the legislature. I don't like that. But it's also abundantly clear that the judges who are protecting the rights of injured and financially harmed people in this state are running with a D next to their name.

I was previously asked for my opinion on judicial races in North Carolina. Here's how I will be voting, and how I will be encouraging friends and family to vote:

NC Supreme Court:
Chief Justice. Cheri Beasley over Paul Newby. This is probably the easiest decision. There's been no one in our state's judiciary more harmful to the rights of injured and financially harmed people than Newby.
Lucy Inman over Phil Berger Jr. This is almost as easy.
Mark Davis over Tamra Barringer. I think we're going to get a solid justice out of this election either way, but I will certainly be voting for Davis. Barringer appears to be an actual conservative, not a trump "conservative."

NC Court of Appeals
Seat 4. Tricia Shields over April Wood.
Seat 5. Fred Gore over Lora Cubbage.
Seat 6. Gray Styers over Chris Dillon.
Seat 7. Reuben Young over Jeff Carpenter.
Seat 13. Christopher Brook over Jefferson Griffin.

As any casual observer will note, I'm voting for almost all Democrats in these elections. Unfortunately, our judiciary has become (more) polarized and political under Republican control of the legislature. I don't like that. But it's also abundantly clear that the judges who are protecting the rights of injured and financially harmed people in this state are running with a D next to their name.

NC's judicial races are partisan? Wow. People obviously know which way a candidate leans, but I would have thought judicial races in most states (and maybe they are, with NC being an outlier? I know they are nonpartisan in Georgia and Florida) are nonpartisan.

NC's judicial races are partisan? Wow.

That’s a very recent change that got pushed through an overturned veto in 2017 when the NC Republican legislature saw the writing on the wall and scrambled to push as much shit through as possible before the 2018 election cycle

NC's judicial races are partisan? Wow. People obviously know which way a candidate leans, but I would have thought judicial races in most states (and maybe they are, with NC being an outlier? I know they are nonpartisan in Georgia and Florida) are nonpartisan.

I believe they were nonpartisan until the GOP-majority legislature changed it to partisan back in 2011 or 2013 or some such after first winning their majority. The irony is that since they've done that the Democrats have actually strengthened their grip on the NC Supreme Court.

Dems hold a 6-1 edge on the Supreme Court. The GOP also got rid of judicial primaries, which came back to bite them when Chris Anglin ran as a republican against Barbara Jackson, handing Anita Earls the seat. Republicans in this state have no shame and will do anything for power. The saving grace is they appear to be stupid.

Good call. I remember that handle too.

So interesting and terrifying that this long simmering fascist culture is coming mainstream.

I recall a WF poster named "RightOfAtilla". I think that was just some badge of conservative honor in the era of Reagan youth.

Given that Attila was a savage and ruthless Barbarian who threatened to overrun and destroy Western Civilization, the title actually fits many modern conservatives, although not in the way they like to think.

Doug Jones had a good ad that aired yesterday during one of the SEC games. Can't find it though.

Back