Thread: Donald Trump is less popular than Nancy Pelosi for the first time

Donald Trump is less popular than Nancy Pelosi for the first time

Poll of the week: A Gallup poll out this week finds that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has a favorable rating of 38% and an unfavorable rating of 48%. That's bad enough for a net favorability rating of -10 points.

The same poll also showed that President Donald Trump's favorable rating is 40% to unfavorable rating of 58%. That means his net favorability rating is -18 points.
    What's the point: The leading figures in the US government right now are not popular. For the first time during Trump's presidency, though, Trump is more disliked than Pelosi.
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/05/pol...eek/index.html

Hope Trump was worth it GOP.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Quote Originally Posted by Newenglanddeac View Post
    Hope Kavanaugh and Goresuch were worth it GOP.
    This is the way they see it and most of think it was totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    This is the way they see it and most of think it was totally worth it.
    Pretty much, at least for many evangelicals. But for most Pub voters, it goes deeper. It's more like, well I don't particularly care for Trump, but he's telling politically correct liberals to suck it. And even if something he says isn't factually accurate, it doesn't really matter. All that really matters is he makes folks on the left lose their minds, and they love it - and that is totally worth it. And policy doesn't matter - it's just a culture war. Do we really care whether a wall is a wise use of money? No, we just want late night talk show hosts and guests go crazy talking about it and will laugh when the Dems finally give in and give Trump a few billion.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Pretty much, at least for many evangelicals. But for most Pub voters, it goes deeper. It's more like, well I don't particularly care for Trump, but he's telling politically correct liberals to suck it. And even if something he says isn't factually accurate, it doesn't really matter. All that really matters is he makes folks on the left lose their minds, and they love it - and that is totally worth it. And policy doesn't matter - it's just a culture war. Do we really care whether a wall is a wise use of money? No, we just want late night talk show hosts and guests go crazy talking about it and will laugh when the Dems finally give in and give Trump a few billion.
    All true, except that in this instance I'm not at all sure the Democrats are going to give in, and some of these Republicans are going to start feeling it personally when their tax returns and medicaid and food stamps and other welfare goodies (and there are plenty of poor white Trumpites on such things) stop coming in the mail. As long as polls show that more people blame Republicans and Trump for the shutdown than Democrats, I don't think the Democrats will give in this time.

ETA: I should add that Trump will probably just claim any bill that passes Congress as a "victory" and frame it in such a way as to say that he got a wall and that the Dems caved, no matter what was actually in the bill. It's what he does.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 01-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    All true, except that in this instance I'm not at all sure the Democrats are going to give in, and some of these Republicans are going to start feeling it personally when their tax returns and medicaid and food stamps and other welfare goodies (and there are plenty of poor white Trumpites on such things) stop coming in the mail. As long as polls show that more people blame Republicans and Trump for the shutdown than Democrats, I don't think the Democrats will give in this time.

ETA: I should add that Trump will probably just claim any bill that passes Congress a "victory" and frame in such a way as to say that he got a wall and that the Dems caved, no matter what was actually in the bill. It's what he does.
    Iíll believe that they hold the line when I see it. Democrats are not the same loyal foot soldiers their GOP colleagues are. Thereís no way that a conservative Garland doesnít get a hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Iíll believe that they hold the line when I see it. Democrats are not the same loyal foot soldiers their GOP colleagues are. Thereís no way that a conservative Garland doesnít get a hearing.
    True, but the Dem base is at least as fired up about this as Republicans, and I think Congressional Dems know they will face a major blowback if they cave on this one. While Congressional Dems may not have much of a backbone, their constituents do, and they're spoiling for this fight. If they do try to cave, they will catch hell from the party's progressive members and much of their base.

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    I donít think anyoneís spoiling for a fight over the difference between $2.6 billion in wall funding (what Dems agreed to) and $5.6 billion in wall funding (what Trump wants) other than Trump, who just needed a distraction from his recent beating at the ballot box, Mueller, and Saudi issues. Dems are doing Trump a favor here.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Those things arenít going away so a minor distraction that wonít be able to overcome the wave of hearings and oversight which will be a constant reminder of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by palmab03 View Post
    I donít think anyoneís spoiling for a fight over the difference between $2.6 billion in wall funding (what Dems agreed to) and $5.6 billion in wall funding (what Trump wants) other than Trump, who just needed a distraction from his recent beating at the ballot box, Mueller, and Saudi issues. Dems are doing Trump a favor here.
    If Democrats vote to give Trump everything he wants in terms of the wall, there will most definitely be serious blowback from their base this time. I just don't see any way that the Congressional Dems can cave in to Trump's demands - that is, give him exactly what he wants - without paying a heavy price, and they know it. There may well be a compromise on some type of physical barrier that doesn't constitute "a wall" in exchange for an agreement on DACA, but I don't think the Dems will compromise for anything less than that, and even that may be difficult. Their own base will see it as yet another act of surrender by weak-willed Congressional Dems unwilling to stand up to Trump or the GOP in general, like Schumer's constant caving on judges.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Republicans are dug in on nativist BS. Democrats donít want to compromise on a ridiculous wall. Republicans wonít compromise because they know the wall is BS. They arenít going to give up something real for something fake.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Republicans are dug in on nativist BS. Democrats donít want to compromise on a ridiculous wall. Republicans wonít compromise because they know the wall is BS. They arenít going to give up something real for something fake.
    Other than the soul of their party, but I guess whatís done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    If that's the case, then this will indeed drag on for quite some time. It has become a battle of wills, and I just don't think the Dem base or the progressives in Congress are willing to cave this time. As long as polls show that significantly more people blame Republicans than the Dems for the shutdown, they really don't have much incentive to do so, no matter what the Trumpite base wants.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Someone caves when it gets time for tax refunds. I just expect Democrats to care about that more than pubs.

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    Those things arenít going away so a minor distraction that wonít be able to overcome the wave of hearings and oversight which will be a constant reminder of the above.
    "Why is congress spending so much time on hearings when they should be making a deal to put people back to work?????"

Donald J. Trump, January 28th, 2019
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car