• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP - Report Duke Blue Devils - Tuesday ESPN 7 pm

Pilchard

Reaction score
Not doing a report on this game.

ESPN is so deeply invested in the Duke program that everybody knows everything about that program anyway, except for the stuff that ESPN and Duke don't want to talk about (Nike's cozy relationship with Duke and their "assist" in the recruiting process; the NCCU alternative curriculum; K's serendipitous back injury when he recruited the worst team in his tenure at Duke).

Will just say this: this will be WF's only men's basketball appearance on the ESPN's flagship channel this season, and it will be an epic beat down. Duke has won 6 games this season by 30+ (and 2 of those teams are rated significantly higher than WF), and they just beat a solid veteran Clemson team by 20 when both Reddish and Barrett played their worst games of the year. KP projects a 90-69 loss. Will be worse unless K decides to give extra minutes to the needle neck stiffs at the end of the Devils bench.

Just embarrassing.

Last edited:
REVERSE THE CURSE! REVERSE THE CURSE! REVERSE THE CURSE!

Over/under on how long it takes Wake to get their first two point field goal? I'll say 5 minutes.

I almost wish we were playing at Cameron Indoor first, just to get that out of the way.

I haven't watched us play Duke in a few years... It's just too painful to watch Duke on ESPN when we are terrible.

Contrarian in me thinks maybe it could be closer than we all think (given the board's reputation for getting things wrong)... But I just don't see how we keep it closer than ~25 points.

Won't be watching this one. Will peek at the score once it is over while hoping for a "Manning fired" headline, as well. A real one... Not a stupid moonz troll job.

"Just embarrassing."

Nah, I don't think losing by 50 to Dook will be any more embarrassing than losing to the likes of Gardner-Webb, Drake, Richmond, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Houston Batpist, etc.

I almost wish we were playing at Cameron Indoor first, just to get that out of the way.

I haven't watched us play Duke in a few years... It's just too painful to watch Duke on ESPN when we are terrible.

Contrarian in me thinks maybe it could be closer than we all think (given the board's reputation for getting things wrong)... But I just don't see how we keep it closer than ~25 points.

Won't be watching this one. Will peek at the score once it is over while hoping for a "Manning fired" headline, as well. A real one... Not a stupid moonz troll job.

Losing, even bigly, to Duke will not get Manning fired this week.

I have to coach against an in-county rival who has their best team in a decade tomorrow night, while we are as bad as we've been in a long time. Tuesday night has a solid chance at being the most depressing basketball evening of my life.

The only we cover is if Kaye is trying to keep Manning around for another year and tries not to embarrass us.

Over under on Wake garb vs Duke garb at the Joel - 1-5?

The only we cover is if Kaye is trying to keep Manning around for another year and tries not to embarrass us.

Over under on Wake garb vs Duke garb at the Joel - 1-5?

Oh we'll be outnumbered at least 4 to 1 at home.

If it wasn't on a Tuesday, I think we win easy.

ESPN is so deeply invested in the Duke program that everybody knows everything about that program anyway, except for the stuff that ESPN and Duke don't want to talk about

ESPN turning into a Duke infomercial is just awful and hard to believe doesn't violate some (uneforced) NCAA rule

that said, how is it compelling programming for the typical ESPN viewer? I barely watch any non-live game content, but there is no chance I would watch what they put out on behalf of Duke for any team college or pro

Will Manning have the audacity to whine about how young we are after getting smoked by Duke's team of freshmen?

Some fun (meaningless) trends heading into this one... Keeping in mind that I have no idea what the spread will be (20+?).

Home team is 24-10 ATS in the last 34 Wake/Duke matchups.
Duke is 2-5 ATS the last 7 in Winston-Salem.
Over is 8-2 in last 10 Wake vs. ACC games.
Over is 21-9 in last 30 Duke road games.
Wake is 5-16 ATS in last 21 ACC games.
Wake is 3-9 ATS in last 12 Tuesday games (NO SHIT!)
Wake is 9-21 ATS in last 30 games

The ONLY positive Wake trend is 13-5 ATS in last 18 games after giving up 90+ in previous game.

Last few spreads in Duke @ Wake series:
1/23/18 - Duke -10 (Duke wins 84-70)
1/28/17 - Duke -6 (Duke wins 85-83)... Also only lost by 5 in Cameron that year (as a 12 point dog)
1/6/16 - Duke -7.5 (Duke wins 91-75)... Lost 94-51 in Cameron (as a 17.5 underdog)
1/7/15 - Duke -15 (Duke wins 73-65)
3/5/14 - Duke -12.5 (WAKE wins 82-72)

I have to coach against an in-county rival who has their best team in a decade tomorrow night, while we are as bad as we've been in a long time. Tuesday night has a solid chance at being the most depressing basketball evening of my life.

Good luck in your game coach but forget about Wake hoops for the time being. We are well beyond depressing. We are hopeless.

ESPN turning into a Duke infomercial is just awful and hard to believe doesn't violate some (uneforced) NCAA rule

that said, how is it compelling programming for the typical ESPN viewer? I barely watch any non-live game content, but there is no chance I would watch what they put out on behalf of Duke for any team college or pro

It creates a huge recruiting advantage for Duke and is totally unfair. But fairness, ethics and academics went out the window years ago when ESPN took over the NCAA and now runs major college sports.

Duke just stacks their practices better than WF right now. The players want to be better every time they step on the court.

Back