• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Make BiffTannen Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my brother got my mom to give up her job as an independent real estate appraiser, which didn't pay much, but my mom didn't need much (and she seemed to be self sufficient), to go down and live with him, his wife and 3 kids and retire. Now a year and a half later he wants to kick her out. Then says he can contribute maybe $100 a month to her rent, so basically I gotta pay my mom's rent for the next likely 15 years. Given there's no one else who can pick up the shortfall, I feel like I should be upset.

I mean if its gonna cost me a couple hundred grand I feel like I should be able to use the opportunity to tell him I've thought for the past 15 years that my sister in law (who's forcing this) is a bitch. No?

Last edited:
Tell him he’s stuck with her, your mom that is. Also, what happened to the money from selling her old house or whatever ?

So my brother got my mom to give up her job as an independent real estate appraiser, which didn't pay much, but my mom didn't need much (and she seemed to be self sufficient), to go down and live with him, his wife and 3 kids and retire. Now a year and a half later he wants to kick her out. Then says he can contribute maybe $100 a month to her rent, so basically I gotta pay my mom's rent for the next likely 15 years. Given there's no one else who can pick up the shortfall, I feel like I should be upset.

I mean if its gonna cost me a couple hundred grand I feel like I should be able to use the opportunity to tell him I've thought for the past 15 years that my sister in law (who's forcing this) is a bitch. No?

i feel like independent real estate appraiser is a thing one can continue doing

Assuming she's a 65-year old residential appraiser in Shitsville, PA, I'd guess it's getting harder and harder to continue. If she does three appraisal reports a week (one day each) she's going to clear maybe $900 a week with expenses of about 25% for software, subscriptions, and auto. Meanwhile, the banks and the republicans are doing everything they can to put her out of business.

or she could entitled-boomer it up and just park it and not work for 15-20 years

Just checked in a book from a Joshua Howard. It must be fate. Deacs are going to shock the world tonight!

Just checked in a book from a Joshua Howard. It must be fate. Deacs are going to shock the world tonight!

I know we've posted about this before, but I have no desire to watch tonight, and will be at trivia instead and surely much happier. years ago if you suggested an alternate activity the night of duke-Wake bball you'd be laughed out of the room.

I don't want us to win tonight because I don't want to give Wellman any ammo from keeping Manning.

I know I"m catching a lot of heat from the slackjawed rubes right now, but in all honesty, I'm the only thing holding these boards together right now. I'd hate to see dv7's ponzi scheme go up in smoke.

I know I"m catching a lot of heat from the slackjawed rubes right now, but in all honesty, I'm the only thing holding these boards together right now. I'd hate to see dv7's ponzi scheme go up in smoke.

why are you catching heat from fellow Georgia fans?

High Five to Baltimore !

I know we've discussed this before, and I won't give the New Yorker the clicks (they've already gotten enough of my money), but goddamn Malcolm Gladwell is a fucking narc cop. Charlatan. Fraud. He and Jordan Peterson need to be locked in a room together to incinerate each other with their whiny fraud pseudo intellectual whining.

I used to like Gladwell's columns back in the day 10/15 years ago, but I was probably stupid then. I remember reading the first book of his I read and was just like, What the hell is this whiny fraud bullshit? Christ. I thought less of myself.

for those curious, Gladwell points out that we'd be well served to have FDA levels of research into the effects of pot

Tell him he’s stuck with her, your mom that is. Also, what happened to the money from selling her old house or whatever ?

I'd be surprised if there was ever more than $25k in equity in the house. It's on the market now 15 years later for $190k

Does your mom have any income (social security, etc.) or assets?

No on assets, about $900/mo in SS after medicare. Do need to look into whether she would qualify for Medicaid, which could save $200-$300/mo.

i feel like independent real estate appraiser is a thing one can continue doing

Yes, and she would still be doing it if not encouraged to retire. Much harder to do after you took a 2 year break.

Assuming she's a 65-year old residential appraiser in Shitsville, PA, I'd guess it's getting harder and harder to continue. If she does three appraisal reports a week (one day each) she's going to clear maybe $900 a week with expenses of about 25% for software, subscriptions, and auto. Meanwhile, the banks and the republicans are doing everything they can to put her out of business.

A 73 year old residential appraiser in Shitsville, NJ. But your math is about right. Its possible she was down to 3 per month or so, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back