• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN article on Univ of Houston FB coaching situation (Wellman/Manning related topic)

Nah, Grobe was the third highest paid coach in the ACC in 2009: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_a5599a29-48de-5c24-861e-0ba9f8f91bc1.html

Don't remember where I saw the 990s going back far enough that showed Prosser's salary, but I think it was $1.4M, which was pretty hefty for the day.

First off, Wellman said that the figure was grossly misleading because it included a deferred compensation package that vested that year and was thus reported for the first time, as well as a restructuring of the contract that involved a substantial back payment.

My guess is that Goodman's source is Manning's agent (or someone that works for his agent). Would also guess that Goodman has deep enough relationship with said agent to know that the agent wouldn't BS Goodman. Again, Goodman is known for getting scoops if he starts putting out false info, his career goes down the drain. Really can't imagine Goodman allowing news about a WF basketball coach's contract to jeopardize his rep. It's not like college sports fans are hankering for news about WF basketball. If there was doubt about the validity of the report, Goodman would have no incentive to just throw it out there.

Like you said, nobody is going to follow up or question this other than a few people here, so there is no accountability here one way or the other. I don't question whether Goodman believes it to be true or not, but I am highly skeptical of a 7 year guaranteed contract based on a 10th place finish. I guess if Manning is still the coach here next year you were right.

First off, Wellman said that the figure was grossly misleading because it included a deferred compensation package that vested that year and was thus reported for the first time, as well as a restructuring of the contract that involved a substantial back payment.

He's talking about the $4.2M, which was far and away the highest total compensation in the ACC. The reported salary by USA Today was $2.17, good for third in the ACC.

After the Arkansas incident, Grobe was extremely well paid. There's really not a way around it. Bunch of articles listed him as one of the most overpaid coaches in the country during the end of his tenure.

I have to believe that WF's lawyers would have vetted Manning's contract and alerted somebody higher up the food chain than Wellman about the implications of a guarantee like that. If they didn't, or if they did and the contract was approved anyway, it's really scandalous.

I have to believe that WF's lawyers would have vetted Manning's contract and alerted somebody higher up the food chain than Wellman about the implications of a guarantee like that. If they didn't, or if they did and the contract was approved anyway, it's really scandalous.

Scandalous? What if everyone wanted the contract like that? Incompetence, yes. Not sure it would be a scandal though. The fact of the matter is we may never know what the buyout really is. Maybe something gets leaked if Manning is gone after the season. I can't remember if anything came out after Grobe and [Redacted] went away. If Manning is back next year, maybe it means that there was/is a huge buyout. Or maybe it just means that Wellman is a compete dumbass and thinks it is in Wake's - I mean Wellman's - best interest to have Manning remain as the coach.

There are plenty of people on these boards who have gotten themselves worked up about the possibility of Manning going back to Kansas. What if Wellman and other higher-ups had the same fears?

You don't give a guy with 0 NCAA tournament wins, 0 finishes in the top half of the conference standings, and a 1-4 start in year 4 a big long-term guaranteed contract. IF you did do that, its the type of gross incompetence that should get you fired for cause.

Back