• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Campaign colluded with Russia

What is the process for vacating an election? We don't reside in a parliamentary system. The constitution provides for impeachment and 25th amendmenting a president as the 2 ways of removing him. If we somehow successfully achieve either of those 2 things (which I seriously doubt), we end up with Pence. Pence would normalize our relations with our traditional allies and repeal Trump's tariffs, but his judicial appointments would be the same. Not sure if the 4 year terms are constitutional or if they're established by some other law enacted by congress. But I don't know of any legal means of vacating an election.

And it's not like our elections have been free of shenanigans in the past. I'd assert that the majority in Bush v. Gore erroneously took from the FL supreme court the final authority of FL law. Back in 1960, there is a good chance Momo rigged the Cook County vote totals (similarly to what happened in that 1 NC district this year), and that put Kennedy over the top. (Why Kennedy then appointed his brother as AG and went after the mob is a mystery, and it wasn't good for his health, but that's another matter.) Going further back, there was the 1876 deal handing the election to Hayes and the 1824 alleged corrupt bargain where Clay gave his votes to Adams so that the vile Jackson wouldn't win. And before that, Burr tried to steal the 1800 election from his running mate, which brought about the necessity for the 12th amendment.

Don't get me wrong. I alternate between angry, sad and numb. But the only thing we can do about it is impeach Trump, 25th amendment him or vote him out of office (and prosecute all those members of his team who committed crimes).

Blah blah blah, Trump and his whole administration should resign, including Pence, and any laws and rules passed under his admin should be repealed, and all judges and justices should step down for sake of the integrity of our democracy. I’m not suggesting any of this will happen, but it should.

You'd think Republicans would be more angry that he was colluding with Russia to beat them in the primary.

And you’d think Republicans would be more angry that he was colluding with a foreign adversary to interfere in our domestic affairs. Because we’re the fucking U.S. of A. and no one should fuck with us.

But hey as long as Trump, Putin and right wing media are owning the libs and keeping pubs in power...who cares right?

I’ve been following the Russia storyline longer than most and I naively thought the GOP would hold Trump accountable or at least conduct a real investigation. As a former Republican, watching the party (leaders, voters and media) completely capitulate to Trump and Putin has been about as unsettling as watching the Catholic Church enable child abuse for years.

The guy Manafort colluded with somehow got his name off of the sanctions list LAST MONTH. You can't dismiss this as Manafort going rogue.

That sophisticated, specific Russian 2016 voter targeting effort doesn’t seem to exist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ort-doesnt-seem-exist/?utm_term=.f8e756651059

A few things to notice immediately: There was an early push to target ads in Missouri, Maryland and Ohio. That’s in part because the Russians had started assessing American politics in 2014 and seized on the polarized Black Lives Matter movement as a focus of energy. A lot of the ads in those states in that time period actually targeted specific cities or regions, like Baltimore and Ferguson where there had been days-long protests.

The black bars indicate campaigns that ran in October 2016 or in the first eight days of November; that is, until Election Day. You’ll notice that two of the states where the most ads ran were Texas and New York — neither of which was considered close in the final weeks of the campaign. States that Trump won narrowly — specifically Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin — saw very few campaigns and, per our count, were seen by fewer than 1,000 people in the last five weeks before the election.

The most successful of the ads that ran in those three states at the end of the campaign, it seems, was this one — which ran not only in Michigan, but also California, Illinois, New York and Texas.

So it's ok to collude with a foreign government as long as it doesn't work. Is that like committing a little "light treason"?

See also: "process crimes." Defined as crimes that don't count since they're not collusion.

Shit palma, I read an article the other day where it said the exact opposite (mich and Wis specifically)...Idk, data is manipulated crazy these days.

I think I just completely disagree with the author's assertion that location-based targeting is the only hyper-specific type of targeting that might make a difference in an election. It's obvious their focus was more around profile targeting since that probably offered a much bigger bang for the buck and with savvy profiles built up lets you target states/areas more generally. If I take out an ad that targets white dudes that love Wrangler that's going to reach a lot more voters in the Midwest and Rust Belt than it is the East Coast and (Urban) California. Cambridge Analytics built up far more sophisticated profiles than that (from what I've read) that let them make smarter decisions that could have impacts in several key states, not just one or two with specific targeting.

Focusing on such a small number of geo-specific ads just seems like a distraction considering how few they took out.

So it's ok to collude with a foreign government as long as it doesn't work. Is that like committing a little "light treason"?

I’ve never doubted they colluded. I mean Trump asked for Russia’s help in a campaign rally. “Russia.... if you’re listening....”. I just have long mocked those that took it to the next step that the collusion put Trump in the White House. That just seemed stupid.

Last edited:
Shit palma, I read an article the other day where it said the exact opposite (mich and Wis specifically)...Idk, data is manipulated crazy these days.

Is the Washington post fringe right wing propaganda? I mean all reports are it’s $75k on Facebook ads, right? I’m not sure how one manipulates that data to being meaningful.

I’ve never doubted they colluded. I mean Trump asked for Russia’s help in a campaign rally. “Russia.... if you’re listening....”. I just have long mocked those that took it to the next step that the collusion put Trump in the White House. That just seemed stupid.

The effect of the cheating on the election doesn’t really matter. Attempted treason is still pretty fucking bad and the end result is that our president still thinks he owes Putin.

It also seems pretty stupid to think location specific ad spending was the only aid the Trump campaign received from Russia or that collusion with Russia was the only criminal part of Trump’s campaign.

You consistently ignore the fact that Russia hacked the DNC and used Wikileaks to distribute that hacked material dominating the news cycle for that entire election cycle. That suppressed enough votes for Trump to win on razor thin margins.

Is the Washington post fringe right wing propaganda? I mean all reports are it’s $75k on Facebook ads, right? I’m not sure how one manipulates that data to being meaningful.

Plus hacking the DNC and Podestas emails and slow leaking then over the course of the election.

Back