• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning’s post-game presser (Duke)

Wasn't part of the argument from people that wanted to keep/give more time to Manning that while his in-game coaching needed some work, his recruiting was good? Now people are using a lack of talent (inconsistent or substandard recruiting/retention of players) as a way to deflect blame away from Manning's lack of coaching prowess.

So pretty much at this point, Manning cannot coach all that well during games, cannot consistently recruit & retain a proper roster of players, and cannot connect with the fan base or media. Other than that, he's doing an A+ job at Wake.

That's fine. I honestly don't recognize your handle as being either enjoyable or un-enjoyable to interact with. I'm indifferent as you haven't registered in my consciousness.

In fairness to you though, I don't generally pay attention to specific posters other than PH, RJ and a few others.

Dude, He doesn't care enough about you to despise you. The ultimate slight.

I would not take that from him, if I were you.

Apologies for the consternation surrounding "Ike" as it's probably more common as a nickname for Isaac, but I've seen it for Isaiah. IDK, to me Ike makes more sense than Zay or Zeke, but that's just me. Figured it was fairly obvious I was referring to younger players or at least players who will be here next year.

Anyway, the point being, the younger guys in particular have the potential to be good with the right coaching and guidance, and it seems like they are getting very little productive coaching at this point. And how did Torry Johnson get so much playing time over Sharone? June is so much better at everything in my opinion, although I'm sure TJ is a better defensive player, but how does that matter much when the team as a whole plays very little effective help defense?

A good coach could win several games in the ACC with B Chill, Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr, and Mucius, with June and Ikenna coming off the bench. There is enough talent there.

Not defending DM at all. But last night was two things that were pretty obvious. First, the game plan if executed well by our players was actually ok for most of the first half. Second, as our players continued to exhibit their deficiencies ( poor shooting, physical weakness, lack of confidence, and poor overall defensive toughness) we were simply overrun by a vastly superior team in every respect. Somebody commented earlier about Brown and Smart being the only strong bodies. That's a fact. And against the Duke players last night we were simply outclassed by bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are also to a man better basketball players, and coached by one of the best of all time. I thought we "competed" pretty well considering. But players like Torry Smith, Olivier Sarr, and ikenna Smart really have no business being in a game like that. Childress was a warrior, but over-matched in every respect by anybody Duke matched up with him. Hoard is talented enough to compete, but played soft as usual, and clearly isn't comfortable or confident enough to play consistently well at this level. You can't rely on him to carry the team yet. Mucius and Chaundee Brown are all about potential, not reality, at this point. Frankly, the one guy besides Childress who impressed was Sharone Wright, and he's just trying his guts out to do whatever he can. His fire, aggressiveness, and confidence are what's lacking in Hoard and Brown. Overall for me, the result was expected, and I think could have been a lot worse except for the fact that we 'tried" to execute a plan. It's pretty clear that Sarr is a huge disappointment so far, in a position where we need the most help. I hope he gets better, because without good interior play we don't stand much chance. I kept thinking the whole game that had Crawford and Moore been on the court we would've had much better matchups, and at least a better chance to compete doing exactly what we were trying to do. If you want to slam Manning and the coaches, do it for not being able to recruit enough players who can score the ball and contribute in rebounding and defense by their sophomore year, or as incoming freshmen.

Good points. For a while, Manning's defensive approach of leaving the shooters completely open was working. Had he stuck with that, we could have pulled off the upset.

Unfortunately he switched strategies and decided to cover neither the shooters or the interior players, thereby leaving his opponents flummoxed by two equally good choices. Kaye, being the genius that he is told his players to go inside and dunk which ruined Manning's second nefarious strategy.

The offensive strategy was equally genius. Everyone knows that Duke has great shot blocking at the Wake is a little undersized. The strategy of driving the lane with abandon would be the last thing they expected. It could have worked also, but that damn Kaye told his players to just block the damn shots.

Another good plan laid waste. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

A good coach could win several games in the ACC with B Chill, Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr, and Mucius, with June and Ikenna coming off the bench. There is enough talent there.

Or at the very least beat the likes of Houston-Baptist and Gardner-Webb.

In fairness to you though, I don't generally pay attention to specific posters other than PH, RJ and a few others.

Why would you do that? You can pretty much predict what they're going to say before they even post at this point. Talk about over-saturation of your POV and persona on a message board. I like to keep folks guessing, but mostly I'm here to either engage in one of the following: 1) statistical analysis and lively debate 2) OTT venting when our shitty BB coaches continue to be shitty and 3) enjoy some sophomoric humor that apparently to you is trite and unoriginal. Not to say this place is more funny than depressing most of the time, but I commend netflix for even trying to inject some humor into something that is really quite tragic in terms of the degree to which our program has sunken to the depths of apathy and veritable anonymity on the national scale.

I get that you like to be unique and try to be funny, and I used to think it was kind of endearing, but now you seem as miserable and predictable as everyone else. Just in a contrarian sort of way as your takes seem to be more "cutting edge" for effect and impact? Oh well, what does it matter? I shouldn't have directed so much frustration at you because you are so much more engaging, interesting, and less annoying than certain other resident, reformed Manning apologists.

Maybe Manning should hire Anthony Scaramucci to do his post game pressers...

Good points. For a while, Manning's defensive approach of leaving the shooters completely open was working. Had he stuck with that, we could have pulled off the upset.

Unfortunately he switched strategies and decided to cover neither the shooters or the interior players, thereby leaving his opponents flummoxed by two equally good choices. Kaye, being the genius that he is told his players to go inside and dunk which ruined Manning's second nefarious strategy.

The offensive strategy was equally genius. Everyone knows that Duke has great shot blocking at the Wake is a little undersized. The strategy of driving the lane with abandon would be the last thing they expected. It could have worked also, but that damn Kaye told his players to just block the damn shots.

Hey all a coach can do is lay out the plan, it's up to the players to carry it out right?

I agree. There is a lot of athleticism on this roster and pretty good shooters. Sarr is also really showing some flashes now. However, every game we have opposing players getting really easy buckets several times a game.

Manning has actually identified some pretty decent talent. But the cohesiveness is lacking.

He gave one of his classics. “We have to do a better job staying in front of our man.”

OK, five years in now. I think it is time to quit saying it and make them do it!

Wellman needs to make Danny watch Nick Saban's post-championship press conference 100 times without stopping. Saban sacked up and took responsibility for his team's performance and the subsequent outcome. It's like Manning doesn't know how to use the word "I", which effectively avoids him taking any ownership of his program's abysmal execution and lack of energy while de facto projecting it onto the players.

OK, five years in now. I think it is time to quit saying it and make them do it!

Haha indeed, love them hollow platitudes. But I think it's "stay in front of the ball" which tends to move around, all the while the man makes that back door cut and voila! Easy bucket.

They have no clue when to overplay the man and be aggressive nor how to rotate and give help. Seems like they are often stuck in between. Or they really are trying to stay in front of the ball and they often too easily lose their man. They really should be playing more zone, as Manning's M2M defense has been pretty much consistent Grade A awfulness.

Wellman needs to make Danny watch Nick Saban's post-championship press conference 100 times without stopping. Saban sacked up and took responsibility for his team's performance and the subsequent outcome. It's like Manning doesn't know how to use the word "I", which effectively avoids him taking any ownership of his program's abysmal execution and lack of energy while de facto projecting it onto the players.

Meh, who really cares about winning a press conference? Yes, Prosser was always fun and engaging, and made you feel warm and fuzzy with his sage quips. But at the end of the day, you at least got the sense from Prosser he had some modicum of knowledge and grasp on what the hell it was the team was/wasn't/should be doing, whereas Danny seems afraid to really engage in any useful discussion for fear of revealing just how little he may actually know. Or he's too arrogant to stoop down to us fans and media and give anything beyond hollow, useless platitudes and coach speak. Bad enough we suck, but then listen to that crap? Hell no. I stopped watching his mind-numbing pressers after year 1.

I completely agree. Of all the things that piss me off about this entire situation, it's the adults being paid large sums of money at all levels (coaches, the administration, BOT, etc...) that won't open up and take any blame. It is infuriating and offensive.

And Daggum it was a Tuesday......

I mean he is saying we don’t have time right now, in the allotted presser time, to fully answer that question.

Bad answer from Greensboro Danny, but not as bad as it is being interpreted.

I mean he is saying we don’t have time right now, in the allotted presser time, to fully answer that question.

Bad answer from Greensboro Danny, but not as bad as it is being interpreted.

I take it the other way. I think it was a worse comment that is being interpreted. It's not a statement of lack of time in the press conference, it's a statement that "there's not enought time [in the PC, hours in the day, etc.] to get into every facet of program that is under performing/all of the issues at hand. When asked long term what has to happen for Wake to compete at a level similar to Duke, his answer was "we don't have enough time" and then launches into a discussion about being competitive in individual possessions. The answer angers me as an alumnus and fan.

a) it is an attempt at dry humor (as evidenced by the slight smirk when he says it). Meaning the program is in such a sad state, it is laughable to even begin to innumerate the different things that must happen for us to be on the same level as Duke (ignoring any complicity or responsibility that he may bear for the program being in said state).

b) His attitude toward these long term questions seems to indicate that he thinks Wake is a crap job in a crap situation and he's doing the best he can, but with the cards he has to play, no one could do any better - again, ignoring historical competitiveness and his own culpability for the state of the program.

c) Facing long term/vision of program questions, he doesn't have a plan. Instead, he waxes ineloquently about individual possessions, as if a little more effort here, a different bounce of the ball there, is the only difference between the programs. I think this is the most damn implication of this answer. It's not that he has a bad plan, or that he is having trouble implementing his plan, it's that there is no plan (at least not one that he can articulate clearly), which leads to the lack of offensive and defensive philosophy/identity. This si why his focus goes toward individual possessions, rather than a long term, cohesive view of where we need to go. It seems to me that its not that we need to do anything differently, just we need to do what we are already doing better.

Back