• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning’s post-game presser (Duke)

TripleDeac21

Reaction score
Calling it right now:

Puts on eyeglasses.

Glances at stat sheet.

Looks up to the press before speaking.

And action!

“Well I thought we did some good things blah blah...credit to Duke, they did enough good things to win the basketball game...blah blah”

What insight!

Calling it right now:

Puts on eyeglasses.

Glances at stat sheet.

And action!

“Well I thought we did some good things blah blah...credit to Duke, they did enough good things to win the basketball game...blah blah”

What insight!

We needed more offensive rebounds, and free throws. (I don't know how to run offense so) You have to manufacture points. Need to guard the paint better, maybe do something that I can't think of right now to stop them from getting layups. I'll have to look at the tape. The scouting report didn't tell me they would score so much in the paint.

Our defense is so atrocious it honestly feels like Manning is raping us out of cash at this point. There are roll the ball out there and let 'em play coaches - Cliff Ellis comes to mind. But somehow, their laissez-faire approach is less laissez-faire than our laissez-faire coach. Manning is laissez-faire meets dark matter. He is where basketball hope goes to crawl into and die lonely, cold and alone.

Watching Keats at NC State against UNC and the emotion he has, and the fans on their feet going crazy (even though they are State fans) sure does hit you where it hurts....compared to what we get to witness these days in the Joel. So sad.

Having only Chaundee and Smart with grown up bodies, we can't stop anyone in the lane.

He gave one of his classics. “We have to do a better job staying in front of our man.”

Having only Chaundee and Smart with grown up bodies, we can't stop anyone in the lane.

Has nothing to do with bodies. We don't make an offense uncomfortable ever. We pressure nobody. We don't anticipate cuts or plays. We stand around. In short, it is like watching pick up defense. yeah, I suppose it would be nice if Hoard and Mucius were each 25 pounds heavier, but that isn't going to help us with this coach.

We literally do not know what we are doing on defense. Lack of effort warrants no repercussions. We are in a worse place on defense with this team than we were in football after losing to Clemson and ND by giving up 60+ points

We were told Manning needed length to play quality D. He has length now and quality is a pipe dream at this point. Clawson made the radical decision to fire our DC and we managed to scratch our way to respectable on D by the end of the year. I don't even know where to begin with this staff. Our lack of intensity is disturbing to me. I feel like I am watching some horror movie like Saw where behind closed doors, nice guy Danny Manning is somehow sucking the life out of each player. Those that are smart, get out before all hope and joy are extinguished. .

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with bodies. We don't make an offense uncomfortable ever. We pressure nobody. We don't anticipate cuts or plays. We stand around. In short, it is like watching pick up defense. yeah, I suppose it would be nice if Hoard and Mucius were each 25 pounds heavier, but that isn't going to help us with this coach.

We literally do not know what we are doing on defense. Lack of effort warrants no repercussions.

This is all correct. Defense is our most significant and persistent problem.

If you are slight and physically weak, you get pushed out of the way. It doesn't matter if you get into position or not. If you can't hold your position, it's useless.

Hoard is on the verge of playing himself into another year at Wake. His motor is lacking.

I am not defending Danny in any way. It's up to him to get the players ready, in position and playing hard. He does little of any of those things.

Hoard does need to increase the intensity factor---too often a bit careless and soft with the ball. Some of it I think is just that he doesn't express much emotion. He was crashing boards pretty hard tonight and is averaging close to 16 and 8 despite Manning having no concept of how to utilize his strengths and minimize current limitations. Dukes 4 are clearly better at this stage, but part of that is the spacing and opportunities they create for each other.

Calling it right now:

Puts on eyeglasses.

Glances at stat sheet.

And action!

What insight!

Manning ain't too bright. Don't think he has a clue what just hit him. He is not bright enough to know he is way over his head. He is bright enough to collect money tho.

His defensive strategy is to have his players maintain a good defensive stance and stay in front of the ball. Brilliant! I don't think anyone has ever come up with that before. Its so complex, so deep, and shows such knowledge for the game. We are lucky to have a coach who develops such forward thinking strategies. I bet its really hard for opposing coaches to break down that strategy on film. They're probably in their film rooms going "what is Wake Forest trying to do here on defense? It looks so complex. No, no, it cannot be. Has Danny Manning actually developed a defense premised on maintaining a good defense stance and staying in front of the ball? This is the future ACC Coach of the Year! We are in trouble when we get to Winston-Salem. Just wait until he has long athletic players who can guard multiple positions, once he has that....unstoppable"

Back