• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning’s post-game presser (Duke)

i am surprised that anyone cares enough to watch a Danny Manning presser. Unnecessary self-flagellation. Go drink a beer or take a walk instead, it's better for you.

That was an odd comment and I am not sure what to make of it. Was it just another reference to the youth of the team and how they need more experience?

I think Les implied that Danny meant there was not enough time in the press conference to talk about all the things they need to do to compete with Duke. After 5 years of this crap, that's a hell of an answer.

I think Les implied that Danny meant there was not enough time in the press conference to talk about all the things they need to do to compete with Duke. After 5 years of this crap, that's a hell of an answer.

Not only that, it should be a completely unsatisfactory answer and any AD worth a damn would've met Danny outside the media room and told him we're not paying you millions of dollars for that and the next non-answer he gives like that, he's out the door. Of course, an AD worth a damn or gave damn would've already canned Manning.

Last edited:
Hey, at least you told them to pass it around until they found a seam. Danny apparently doesn't even care if they pass it around that much.

They do run the three man weave at the top of the key quite often. I think it's just to burn shot clock.

Got to disagree. Cheap humor and regurgitated from more original posters.

This hurts. Like going to a packed restaurant only to find the food fucking awful. A double whammy. The dreaded cheap humor post lauded as hilarious. Sword meets heart, then sword twisted.

Not high brow enough for you jaybone? I think I've got a good one for you. Have you heard of the new offensive set Danny Manning is working on in practice? Its called THE ARISTOCRATS!

Saw a tweet about the Trump address last night that applies quite well to any WFU men's basketball game for the rest of the season. It was something along the lines of "Instead of watching it, call your mother and talk to her. It guarantees that you're not watching and neither is she."

Not defending DM at all. But last night was two things that were pretty obvious. First, the game plan if executed well by our players was actually ok for most of the first half. Second, as our players continued to exhibit their deficiencies ( poor shooting, physical weakness, lack of confidence, and poor overall defensive toughness) we were simply overrun by a vastly superior team in every respect. Somebody commented earlier about Brown and Smart being the only strong bodies. That's a fact. And against the Duke players last night we were simply outclassed by bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are also to a man better basketball players, and coached by one of the best of all time. I thought we "competed" pretty well considering. But players like Torry Smith, Olivier Sarr, and ikenna Smart really have no business being in a game like that. Childress was a warrior, but over-matched in every respect by anybody Duke matched up with him. Hoard is talented enough to compete, but played soft as usual, and clearly isn't comfortable or confident enough to play consistently well at this level. You can't rely on him to carry the team yet. Mucius and Chaundee Brown are all about potential, not reality, at this point. Frankly, the one guy besides Childress who impressed was Sharone Wright, and he's just trying his guts out to do whatever he can. His fire, aggressiveness, and confidence are what's lacking in Hoard and Brown. Overall for me, the result was expected, and I think could have been a lot worse except for the fact that we 'tried" to execute a plan. It's pretty clear that Sarr is a huge disappointment so far, in a position where we need the most help. I hope he gets better, because without good interior play we don't stand much chance. I kept thinking the whole game that had Crawford and Moore been on the court we would've had much better matchups, and at least a better chance to compete doing exactly what we were trying to do. If you want to slam Manning and the coaches, do it for not being able to recruit enough players who can score the ball and contribute in rebounding and defense by their sophomore year, or as incoming freshmen.

Got to disagree. Cheap humor and regurgitated from more original posters.

This hurts. Like going to a packed restaurant only to find the food fucking awful. A double whammy. The dreaded cheap humor post lauded as hilarious. Sword meets heart, then sword twisted.

What a snowflake.

Program has long been dead, we were just tricked into thinking it might have been resuscitated in 2017, but that was simply awakening briefly from a long coma. The patient has been brain dead all along. The mourning has long since happened. Might as well laugh at it now or else why bother coming here of all places?

Most of y'all are hardly enjoyable to interact with...even when we're good.

Childress was a warrior, but over-matched in every respect by anybody Duke matched up with him. Hoard is talented enough to compete, but played soft as usual, and clearly isn't comfortable or confident enough to play consistently well at this level. You can't rely on him to carry the team yet. Mucius and Chaundee Brown are all about potential, not reality, at this point. Frankly, the one guy besides Childress who impressed was Sharone Wright, and he's just trying his guts out to do whatever he can. His fire, aggressiveness, and confidence are what's lacking in Hoard and Brown.

There's actually some potential on this team with the right coaching and a couple of physical, aggressive big men who can battle inside a bit and make the other team comfortable. Luckily, I've managed to pretty much stop caring, but it rankles me that we don't shit can this apparently untouchable "legend" and move the hell on so Ike, Chaundee, June and Brandon can get some real tutelage and guidance, along with the chance of recruiting some grad x-fers who have legitimate business being in the ACC, helping fill roles on a team that should be centered on the 4 players I just mentioned.

At least those 4 play with some passion and fire, along with an actual combination of athleticism and BB acumen that could be rounded into something worth a damn as a collective unit. Now it's just a pathetic hopeless exercise in futility. Give Ernie a chance to coach them, hire the guy who will take control of this program for the next 10-20 years and MOVE FORWARD. Otherwise, we are just spinning our wheels watching the Jaylen Hoard scout exhibition show, which will ultimately lead to some stacked NBA team taking a flyer on him with the 28th pick.

Not defending DM at all. But last night was two things that were pretty obvious. First, the game plan if executed well by our players was actually ok for most of the first half. Second, as our players continued to exhibit their deficiencies ( poor shooting, physical weakness, lack of confidence, and poor overall defensive toughness) we were simply overrun by a vastly superior team in every respect. Somebody commented earlier about Brown and Smart being the only strong bodies. That's a fact. And against the Duke players last night we were simply outclassed by bigger, stronger, faster athletes who are also to a man better basketball players, and coached by one of the best of all time. I thought we "competed" pretty well considering. But players like Torry Smith, Olivier Sarr, and ikenna Smart really have no business being in a game like that. Childress was a warrior, but over-matched in every respect by anybody Duke matched up with him. Hoard is talented enough to compete, but played soft as usual, and clearly isn't comfortable or confident enough to play consistently well at this level. You can't rely on him to carry the team yet. Mucius and Chaundee Brown are all about potential, not reality, at this point. Frankly, the one guy besides Childress who impressed was Sharone Wright, and he's just trying his guts out to do whatever he can. His fire, aggressiveness, and confidence are what's lacking in Hoard and Brown. Overall for me, the result was expected, and I think could have been a lot worse except for the fact that we 'tried" to execute a plan. It's pretty clear that Sarr is a huge disappointment so far, in a position where we need the most help. I hope he gets better, because without good interior play we don't stand much chance. I kept thinking the whole game that had Crawford and Moore been on the court we would've had much better matchups, and at least a better chance to compete doing exactly what we were trying to do. If you want to slam Manning and the coaches, do it for not being able to recruit enough players who can score the ball and contribute in rebounding and defense by their sophomore year, or as incoming freshmen.

That’s your only criticism of Manning???🙄

I personally am very impressed with Danny Manning and I think that his talents are being wasted at Wake Forest. Who in their right mind would ever think WF could truly compete in basketball? What history does WF have? Have they ever sent a player to a minor league pro team or Europe, let along actually the NBA? I think for his sake he needs to be unburdened from having to coach such an unworthy team and should instead go coach a NBA team and chase the ultimate goal of a NBA title. I'll be sad to see him go but it's the best for him long term. I just hope that WF can find someone that can match or exceed his passion, desire, and overall demand for excellence.

Last edited:
What a snowflake.

Program has long been dead, we were just tricked into thinking it might have been resuscitated in 2017, but that was simply awakening briefly from a long coma. The patient has been brain dead all along. The mourning has long since happened. Might as well laugh at it now or else why bother coming here of all places?

Most of y'all are hardly enjoyable to interact with...even when we're good.

That's fine. I honestly don't recognize your handle as being either enjoyable or un-enjoyable to interact with. I'm indifferent as you haven't registered in my consciousness.

In fairness to you though, I don't generally pay attention to specific posters other than PH, RJ and a few others.

There's actually some potential on this team with the right coaching and a couple of physical, aggressive big men who can battle inside a bit and make the other team comfortable. Luckily, I've managed to pretty much stop caring, but it rankles me that we don't shit can this apparently untouchable "legend" and move the hell on so Ike, Chaundee, June and Brandon can get some real tutelage and guidance, along with the chance of recruiting some grad x-fers who have legitimate business being in the ACC, helping fill roles on a team that should be centered on the 4 players I just mentioned.

At least those 4 play with some passion and fire, along with an actual combination of athleticism and BB acumen that could be rounded into something worth a damn as a collective unit. Now it's just a pathetic hopeless exercise in futility. Give Ernie a chance to coach them, hire the guy who will take control of this program for the next 10-20 years and MOVE FORWARD. Otherwise, we are just spinning our wheels watching the Jaylen Hoard scout exhibition show, which will ultimately lead to some stacked NBA team taking a flyer on him with the 28th pick.

"Ike" and "June" - I must have missed some nickname assignments? I guess Ike is Ikenna? June = Jaylen H?

Manning isn’t going to be the guy to build this. His passion just isn’t there. But this teams issues are far more talent issues than coaching schemes currently. This team flat out doesn’t have the talent to compete in a league like this. This team wouldn’t win in many lower d1 conferences. The sad part is it may not change for a long time. The expansion of the league has too many powerhouses for a wake forest to recruit against. Wake is behind the 8 ball right now. There is no draw for a kid to just play on the acc. With a smaller league that was more of a possibility. A recruit now has to believe they have a chance to win in that league. Otherwise they will choose a different league and a different team that can win in their respective league.

Manning isn’t going to be the guy to build this. His passion just isn’t there. But this teams issues are far more talent issues than coaching schemes currently. This team flat out doesn’t have the talent to compete in a league like this. This team wouldn’t win in many lower d1 conferences. The sad part is it may not change for a long time. The expansion of the league has too many powerhouses for a wake forest to recruit against. Wake is behind the 8 ball right now. There is no draw for a kid to just play on the acc. With a smaller league that was more of a possibility. A recruit now has to believe they have a chance to win in that league. Otherwise they will choose a different league and a different team that can win in their respective league.

Is it a talent issue that causes us to lose to Houston-Baptist and Gardner-Webb and the string of embarrassing loses last year? The talent issue is only an issue against about half the league, what about the other half? I surely don't see teams like Boston College, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pittsburgh having a talent edge on us, yet we look to be behind those teams.

Back