Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ed Hardin article

Quote Originally Posted by coredeac View Post
    Agreed. What fans "bemoan" is players leaving our program in droves for inexplicable reasons. Collins' reasons were never in doubt. Not sure how he missed on this point so badly.
    Agreed. There's too many kids leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefan77 View Post
    Agreed. There's too many kids leaving.
    Hardin was walking a tight line in that piece. It was a combination of generalized conclusions and vague references based on what he’s hearing and seeing.
    He is definitely not walking out too far on that limb lest a guy with a saw appears. No need to blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeForest Fan View Post
    The problem at Wake is that it doesn’t take a Duke or North Carolina or N.C. State to eviscerate the Deacons’ defense. On a good night, even a Houston Baptist or Gardner-Webb can do it. -- Dan Collins.

Ouch. So damn true.
    Oh Heavens Yes!

Simply stated, Manning is dumber than a box of rocks. How the hell did he get hired?

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

Ed Hardin article

Agreed. What fans "bemoan" is players leaving our program in droves for inexplicable reasons. Collins' reasons were never in doubt. Not sure how he missed on this point so badly.
    Probably the ones on the front row who still like Manning.

My main takeaway from that article:
    Hugh Strickland is now one of my favorite Deacons of all-time

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDeac View Post
    My main takeaway from that article:
    Hugh Strickland is now one of my favorite Deacons of all-time
    I believe that's Keeper's father.

Was it bemoaning Collins' departure because they have disdain for the decision, or they bemoan his leaving in the sense that "If we only still had Collins, we'd be good. Who could have predicted a great player would leave early?"

I read it as the latter, and a fanbase (especially the front row supporters) pining for the days of a Duncan staying 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by IamThunderbolt View Post
    Was it bemoaning Collins' departure because they have disdain for the decision, or they bemoan his leaving in the sense that "If we only still had Collins, we'd be good. Who could have predicted a great player would leave early?"

I read it as the latter, and a fanbase (especially the front row supporters) pining for the days of a Duncan staying 4 years.
    Either way, it's not based in 2019 reality.
    Oh Heavens Yes!

"The problem at Wake is that it doesn’t take a Duke or North Carolina or N.C. State to eviscerate the Deacons’ defense. On a good night, even a Houston Baptist or Gardner-Webb can do it. The bigger problem is that the inability to stop the other team from scoring has persisted from the day that Danny Manning became head coach before the 2014-15, infamously belying his boast that his program would be one that would “hang it’s hat on defense.’’

"If there’s an explanation for the implosion of a once-proud program I have yet to hear it. Krzyzewski was asked on this week’s ACC teleconference leading into last night’s game why Manning was having such a hard time righting the Deacons’ ship in basketball. “You should ask Coach Manning that,’’ Krzyzewski replied. “He’s on later." Les Johns, to his credit, did exactly that to conclude last night’s post-game presser. “What’s it going to take – micro-level – to get the Wake Forest program to where it can compete again with the Dukes of the world?’’ And Manning’s answer? If you heard one, that makes one of us." --Dan Collins

Either way, it's not based in 2019 reality.
    absolutely - agree.

And, the closer:

"Hugh Strickland died 18 years ago and I still miss him, though I am lucky enough to know his son Gary – the long-time scorekeeper for Wake basketball – and his grandsons David, Michael and Scott. The one solace I have is Hugh didn’t live long enough to see what has become of his beloved Wake basketball, or have to listen to Danny Manning try to explain it away."

Awesome take by Dan. Pretty much nailed it. "Hang our hat on Defense." Please. . .

Steve Lepore
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacAssured View Post
    If true that the “front row” still supports Manning then that is most likely due to the price they would be asked to pay to make a change. And with a certain President’s new tax law the cost is higher than it used to be for all boosters. If Manning appears comfortable it may relate to some basic facts about his package. He will never hurt for money. That’s for sure.

Sometimes it’s a better idea to hire a guy who really NEEDS the income?
    Can assure you that the front row is over this. They have reached the point that most agree with the assessment that a change is needed.I just hope that many are in agreement with me in that it is time to pony up for a seriously experienced new coach that can right the ship within 2 years. We are at crisis point now.

I disagree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Deacon 65 View Post
    As a fan I disliked Collins heading to the nba after 2 yrs at Wake just like I'm tired of hearing about Hoard as a one and done...
    old man entitled to his 4 years of entertainment at the expense of young man's prospects

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by bcobbdeacs View Post
    Can assure you that the front row is over this. They have reached the point that most agree with the assessment that a change is needed.I just hope that many are in agreement with me in that it is time to pony up for a seriously experienced new coach that can right the ship within 2 years. We are at crisis point now.
    Why do they keep showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    old man entitled to his 4 years of entertainment at the expense of young man's prospects
    wait. was he serious?

I disagree with you
    see also: chris paul

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Why do they keep showing up?
    Because there's shit to do in the Triad.