• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ed Hardin article

Agreed. What fans "bemoan" is players leaving our program in droves for inexplicable reasons. Collins' reasons were never in doubt. Not sure how he missed on this point so badly.

Agreed. There's too many kids leaving.

Agreed. There's too many kids leaving.

Hardin was walking a tight line in that piece. It was a combination of generalized conclusions and vague references based on what he’s hearing and seeing.
He is definitely not walking out too far on that limb lest a guy with a saw appears. No need to blame him.

Simply stated, Manning is dumber than a box of rocks. How the hell did he get hired?

Agreed. What fans "bemoan" is players leaving our program in droves for inexplicable reasons. Collins' reasons were never in doubt. Not sure how he missed on this point so badly.

Probably the ones on the front row who still like Manning.

Was it bemoaning Collins' departure because they have disdain for the decision, or they bemoan his leaving in the sense that "If we only still had Collins, we'd be good. Who could have predicted a great player would leave early?"

I read it as the latter, and a fanbase (especially the front row supporters) pining for the days of a Duncan staying 4 years.

Was it bemoaning Collins' departure because they have disdain for the decision, or they bemoan his leaving in the sense that "If we only still had Collins, we'd be good. Who could have predicted a great player would leave early?"

I read it as the latter, and a fanbase (especially the front row supporters) pining for the days of a Duncan staying 4 years.

Either way, it's not based in 2019 reality.

"The problem at Wake is that it doesn’t take a Duke or North Carolina or N.C. State to eviscerate the Deacons’ defense. On a good night, even a Houston Baptist or Gardner-Webb can do it. The bigger problem is that the inability to stop the other team from scoring has persisted from the day that Danny Manning became head coach before the 2014-15, infamously belying his boast that his program would be one that would “hang it’s hat on defense.’’

"If there’s an explanation for the implosion of a once-proud program I have yet to hear it. Krzyzewski was asked on this week’s ACC teleconference leading into last night’s game why Manning was having such a hard time righting the Deacons’ ship in basketball. “You should ask Coach Manning that,’’ Krzyzewski replied. “He’s on later." Les Johns, to his credit, did exactly that to conclude last night’s post-game presser. “What’s it going to take – micro-level – to get the Wake Forest program to where it can compete again with the Dukes of the world?’’ And Manning’s answer? If you heard one, that makes one of us." --Dan Collins

And, the closer:

"Hugh Strickland died 18 years ago and I still miss him, though I am lucky enough to know his son Gary – the long-time scorekeeper for Wake basketball – and his grandsons David, Michael and Scott. The one solace I have is Hugh didn’t live long enough to see what has become of his beloved Wake basketball, or have to listen to Danny Manning try to explain it away."

If true that the “front row” still supports Manning then that is most likely due to the price they would be asked to pay to make a change. And with a certain President’s new tax law the cost is higher than it used to be for all boosters. If Manning appears comfortable it may relate to some basic facts about his package. He will never hurt for money. That’s for sure.

Sometimes it’s a better idea to hire a guy who really NEEDS the income?
Can assure you that the front row is over this. They have reached the point that most agree with the assessment that a change is needed.I just hope that many are in agreement with me in that it is time to pony up for a seriously experienced new coach that can right the ship within 2 years. We are at crisis point now.

Can assure you that the front row is over this. They have reached the point that most agree with the assessment that a change is needed.I just hope that many are in agreement with me in that it is time to pony up for a seriously experienced new coach that can right the ship within 2 years. We are at crisis point now.

Why do they keep showing up?

Back