• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress and Wright

berneses

Reaction score
Have both been better than expected so far this year and deserve a shout out. Both forego the pass a little too much to open teammates but I think these guys will be a nice pair of guards for our new coach next year. Disappointed in both the play of never pass Mucius and non-chanalant Hoard so far.

We are getting enough from both of them and Brown to have a solid team. Just need more from the coaching staff.

The fact that Torey Johnson is taking minutes from Wright Jr is a travesty. I feared that Johnson would be ridiculously over matched once we reached conference play as he was struggling against sucky teams (had some good games too). He hustles and is in great shape. I'll give him that. He is poor poor man's Rip Hamilton. Like a rec league version of Rip Hamilton. Johnson should have a coach in his ear telling him never ever ever drive to the rim in traffic. You suck at it and have no anticipatory skills. None. Pull up jumpers or throw it to someone else. Lordy.

The fact that Torey Johnson is taking minutes from Wright Jr is a travesty. I feared that Johnson would be ridiculously over matched once we reached conference play as he was struggling against sucky teams (had some good games too). He hustles and is in great shape. I'll give him that. He is poor poor man's Rip Hamilton. Like a rec league version of Rip Hamilton. Johnson should have a coach in his ear telling him never ever ever drive to the rim in traffic. You suck at it and have no anticipatory skills. None. Pull up jumpers or throw it to someone else. Lordy.

he is like a poor poor man's Wilbekin; also in the fact that Danny keeps putting him in positions to fail over and over

Danny loves him some graduate transfers. Generally plays them more than he should over younger players.

childress and wright

he is like a poor poor man's Wilbekin; also in the fact that Danny keeps putting him in positions to fail over and over
Six assists in 22 baskets shows this is a group of individuals, not a team

Sorry but Johnson is no Wilbekin. Wilbekin was at a liability athletically, but he could shoot the ball. Johnson...I'm not sure what he does well enough to get substantial playing time. He was supposed to be a tough defender. Haven't really seen that so far.

Johnson...I'm not sure what he does well enough to get substantial playing time. He was supposed to be a tough defender. Haven't really seen that so far.

He gets to the line pretty well for someone his size, and shoots it well when he's there. That's about all I can think of.

Remember, Wright started the year as a starter and played really well. Then he got sick and Johnson got the starting nod ... and has started ever since. One of those baffling Manning line-up things.

While cringe-worthy, I respect Johnson's aggressiveness, and the fact that he is apparently oblivious that he does not belong on this level.

He is not afraid to fail, which in some endeavors is a great quality, but not so great a quality when you are, at best, a low level D-1 level athlete playing against a top 5 team. Just scary, but morbidly entertaining, when he has the ball on a fast-break, it's like watching a 14 year-old driving in a high speed car chase. Well aware that NAU was awful last year, but hard to believe that he was the leading scorer on any D-1 team.

Last edited:
He gets to the line pretty well for someone his size, and shoots it well when he's there. That's about all I can think of.

According to Danny's halftime interview, that's all we ask from our offense. So I guess that explains his PT.

someone researched Johnson when he transferred - I think that summary was that he averaged 5 turnovers per game against top 150 competition last year at NAU

but year, Wright has been a nice surprise and Lil Chill has shown growth

remember the insider scoop that Hoard would play some point guard? I...don't see that

Six assists in 22 baskets shows this is a group of individuals, not a team

I think it shows more clearly a lack of offensive philosophy/scheme. Our scheme does not manufacture shots for players, it relies on individual players to drive and get fouled, or occasionally dish - but because of lack of scheme, there's no common understanding of the place/person who should be open in a given situation - it's glorified pickup ball with a talented group of players who play together often - they know each other's tendencies and strengths, but there's no plan bringing it all together.

Every year someone gets a crazy amount of minutes while someone talented sits.

Goes back to year one of Manning. There were games where walk on Van Horn was getting more minutes than All NBA John Collins.

Danny Manning's mind is some kind of cob webbed freak show.

Back