Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Government employees begin to protest shutdown

  1. #1

    Government employees begin to protest shutdown


  2. #2

  3. #3
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    65,749
    Protests in Utah are rare...

  4. #4
    Just for comparison, there are about 140,000 steel workers and about 75,000 coal workers. Trump disrupted the global trade order, pissed off our allies, and is willing to literally destroy the planet to protect those jobs. 800,000 federal government workers totes not a big deal though.

  5. #5
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    40,330
    relevant:


  6. #6
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon923 View Post
    Just for comparison, there are about 140,000 steel workers and about 75,000 coal workers. Trump disrupted the global trade order, pissed off our allies, and is willing to literally destroy the planet to protect those jobs. 800,000 federal government workers totes not a big deal though.
    Those are just government fat cats not REAL Americans.

  7. #7
    Robert O'Kelley
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    6,929
    For sure.

    One of the prevailing Republican lies for decades has been that our problems are largely due to "government". And therefore, the "solution" is "less" government. So government workers not working or getting paid is...just fine.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  8. #8
    This morning, NPR aired portions of an interview with a federal employee who said they were going to have to pull money from their childís 529 college account to cover their mortgage payment for this month. So fucking awful.
    Birds are real.

  9. #9
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    Big government fat cat trying to send their kid to a liberal ivory tower university? Thatís the right people to be hurting.

  10. #10
    Bribes from drug/people smugglers might start looking awfully good to border patrol agents or coast guard members who are not getting paid.

  11. #11
    Robert O'Kelley
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    6,929
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Big government fat cat trying to send their kid to a liberal ivory tower university? Thatís the right people to be hurting.
    That sounds more like a congressperson--except they aren't the ones getting hurt.

    [I know you were being sarcastic]
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  12. #12
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,563
    Quote Originally Posted by deactherunner View Post
    Bribes from drug/people smugglers might start looking awfully good to border patrol agents or coast guard members who are not getting paid.
    It looked good before the shutdown.

    ďTwo U.S. Navy sailors have pleaded guilty to being part of a drug ring operating aboard the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier, and several others are having their cases taken through militaryís criminal justice system.

    More than a dozen sailorís from the Japan-stationed vessels nuclear reactor department were involved in the drug ring, Navy Times reported on Thursday. Machinistís Mate Nuclear 2nd Class Andrew W. Miller and Machinistís Mate Nuclear 2nd Class Ethan D. Strandberg both entered their guilty pleas in December, according to the military publication.Ē

  13. #13
    I wonder what percent of drugs that come through the southern border come as a result of bribes? Trump and his defenders are assuming that anything not caught at a port of entry is getting moved in mass quantities through the Sonoran desert, but that is far less likely than bribery or simple stealth.

  14. #14
    Robert O'Kelley
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    6,929
    The wall is a fucking fake issue, purely political leverage and fear mongering playing on xenophobia, ginned up by our con-artist-in chief.


    Jesus. He's the perfect Republican.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    This morning, NPR aired portions of an interview with a federal employee who said they were going to have to pull money from their childís 529 college account to cover their mortgage payment for this month. So fucking awful.
    But also dumb. Federal credit unions are giving 0% loans.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    But also dumb. Federal credit unions are giving 0% loans.
    Individually dumb, yes. But, what guidance do these people have on how to make their way through this shutdown. DHS is telling employees to try babysitting or having a garage sale not advising them in how to get a 0% interest loan from a credit union. A guy I know in NOAA was tweeting yesterday that he was going to get cash by going to Costco to buy a bunch of stuff on his credit card then return the items for cash, thus avoiding cash advance fees on his credit card. He is a PhD statistician, heís not a dumb guy, he just needs groceries and doesnít know how else to get money. He also noted that he tried to apply for unemployment, but a furlough form that he needs in order to be approved in his state is stored on the NOAA internal server in his work email, but he is prohibited from accessing his email during the shutdown. No one advised him in advance that heíd need a copy of that form. All the people that would normally advise these folks through this kind of thing are also furloughed, itís a vicious circle.
    Birds are real.

  17. #17
    Does Trump really have any leverage here? Tax season is approaching and I'd have to believe that a mere delay on returns would be a death knell for even his staunchest supporters.

  18. #18
    Honestly the biggest shock to me is how many people truly do live paycheck to paycheck. I understand TSA because they arenít paid well but a PhD statistician just by the PhD at the end of his last name puts him at GS11, so 50-60 range.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    Honestly the biggest shock to me is how many people truly do live paycheck to paycheck. I understand TSA because they arenít paid well but a PhD statistician just by the PhD at the end of his last name puts him at GS11, so 50-60 range.
    Sounds like a case of book smarts, not street smarts.

  20. #20
    Robert O'Kelley
    ConnorEl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Posts
    6,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    Honestly the biggest shock to me is how many people truly do live paycheck to paycheck. I understand TSA because they arenít paid well but a PhD statistician just by the PhD at the end of his last name puts him at GS11, so 50-60 range.

    We need much better civics and personal finance education.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •