• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Government employees begin to protest shutdown

Just for comparison, there are about 140,000 steel workers and about 75,000 coal workers. Trump disrupted the global trade order, pissed off our allies, and is willing to literally destroy the planet to protect those jobs. 800,000 federal government workers totes not a big deal though.

relevant:

24z5xh.jpg

Just for comparison, there are about 140,000 steel workers and about 75,000 coal workers. Trump disrupted the global trade order, pissed off our allies, and is willing to literally destroy the planet to protect those jobs. 800,000 federal government workers totes not a big deal though.

Those are just government fat cats not REAL Americans.

For sure.

One of the prevailing Republican lies for decades has been that our problems are largely due to "government". And therefore, the "solution" is "less" government. So government workers not working or getting paid is...just fine.

This morning, NPR aired portions of an interview with a federal employee who said they were going to have to pull money from their child’s 529 college account to cover their mortgage payment for this month. So fucking awful.

Big government fat cat trying to send their kid to a liberal ivory tower university? That’s the right people to be hurting.

Bribes from drug/people smugglers might start looking awfully good to border patrol agents or coast guard members who are not getting paid.

Big government fat cat trying to send their kid to a liberal ivory tower university? That’s the right people to be hurting.

That sounds more like a congressperson--except they aren't the ones getting hurt.

[I know you were being sarcastic]

Bribes from drug/people smugglers might start looking awfully good to border patrol agents or coast guard members who are not getting paid.

It looked good before the shutdown.

“Two U.S. Navy sailors have pleaded guilty to being part of a drug ring operating aboard the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier, and several others are having their cases taken through military’s criminal justice system.

More than a dozen sailor’s from the Japan-stationed vessels nuclear reactor department were involved in the drug ring, Navy Times reported on Thursday. Machinist’s Mate Nuclear 2nd Class Andrew W. Miller and Machinist’s Mate Nuclear 2nd Class Ethan D. Strandberg both entered their guilty pleas in December, according to the military publication.”

I wonder what percent of drugs that come through the southern border come as a result of bribes? Trump and his defenders are assuming that anything not caught at a port of entry is getting moved in mass quantities through the Sonoran desert, but that is far less likely than bribery or simple stealth.

The wall is a fucking fake issue, purely political leverage and fear mongering playing on xenophobia, ginned up by our con-artist-in chief.

Jesus. He's the perfect Republican.

This morning, NPR aired portions of an interview with a federal employee who said they were going to have to pull money from their child’s 529 college account to cover their mortgage payment for this month. So fucking awful.

But also dumb. Federal credit unions are giving 0% loans.

But also dumb. Federal credit unions are giving 0% loans.

Individually dumb, yes. But, what guidance do these people have on how to make their way through this shutdown. DHS is telling employees to try babysitting or having a garage sale not advising them in how to get a 0% interest loan from a credit union. A guy I know in NOAA was tweeting yesterday that he was going to get cash by going to Costco to buy a bunch of stuff on his credit card then return the items for cash, thus avoiding cash advance fees on his credit card. He is a PhD statistician, he’s not a dumb guy, he just needs groceries and doesn’t know how else to get money. He also noted that he tried to apply for unemployment, but a furlough form that he needs in order to be approved in his state is stored on the NOAA internal server in his work email, but he is prohibited from accessing his email during the shutdown. No one advised him in advance that he’d need a copy of that form. All the people that would normally advise these folks through this kind of thing are also furloughed, it’s a vicious circle.

Does Trump really have any leverage here? Tax season is approaching and I'd have to believe that a mere delay on returns would be a death knell for even his staunchest supporters.

Honestly the biggest shock to me is how many people truly do live paycheck to paycheck. I understand TSA because they aren’t paid well but a PhD statistician just by the PhD at the end of his last name puts him at GS11, so 50-60 range.

Honestly the biggest shock to me is how many people truly do live paycheck to paycheck. I understand TSA because they aren’t paid well but a PhD statistician just by the PhD at the end of his last name puts him at GS11, so 50-60 range.

Sounds like a case of book smarts, not street smarts.

We need much better civics and personal finance education.

Back