• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Barr: The Cover-Up General

Depends on what they do next. Seems like testifying in front of Nadler and the Judiciary Committee would be a minimum expectation.

Seems like.

They should be at Nadler's house right now. At this point, have they done anything? Why does Sig think they're heroes based on what they've done so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But David Laufman, a former chief of the Justice Department’s counterintelligence unit, said he could not recall another criminal case in which an entire team of prosecutors had resigned en masse, apparently to protest improper political interference.

“This is a ‘break glass in case of fire’ moment,” he said. “We have now seen the political leadership of the department, presumably acting on the president’s desires, reaching down into a criminal case to withdraw a reasoned sentencing recommendation to the court.”

The prosecutors’ withdrawals suggest that they not only disagreed with officials at the department’s headquarters, but were concerned about compromising their own ethics, said Greg Brower, a former prosecutor and senior F.B.I. official.

Until now, the Stone case had been viewed as one of the more important successes of the special counsel investigation. Mr. Stone put up a weak defense, and the jury deliberated only seven hours before convicting him on all counts. In what some saw as a last-minute plea for salvation before the verdict came in, Mr. Stone expressed hope through a proxy that the president would pardon him.

If the president intervened to reverse the decision of career prosecutors, it would be “a blatant abuse of power,” said Representative Adam B. Schiff, Democrat of California, who oversees the House committee that Mr. Stone was convicted of lying to.

“Doing so would send an unmistakable message that President Trump will protect those who lie to Congress to cover up his own misconduct and that the attorney general will join him in that effort,” Mr. Schiff said in a statement.

So how does that change things?

What specifically could they have done to "change" anything?

Should they have locked arms on the courthouse steps and done a presser? Seems like they chose a silent form of protest, and it appears to have ratcheted up the attention to this.

What specifically could they have done to "change" anything?

Should they have locked arms on the courthouse steps and done a presser? Seems like they chose a silent form of protest, and it appears to have ratcheted up the attention to this.

Seems like.

They should be at Nadler's house right now. At this point, have they done anything? Why does Sig think they're heroes based on what they've done so far.

Republicans aren’t going to hear silent protests. They need to speak out.

If only Republicans had been warned that an acquitted Trump would feel and act unleashed in a ratcheting up of abuses of power.

If only Republicans had been warned that an acquitted Trump would feel and act unleashed in a ratcheting up of abuses of power.

We have to stop pretending this isn't exactly what Republicans want.

By floating the pardon, Trump sets up the narrative that none of this is a big deal. "If the President can pardon, why can't the President ask the DOJ to reduce sentences, too?" There you go. That's what you're going to hear from Republicans in the morning.

Trump shits on and destroys everything he touches -- amazing how easy it is for everything America supposedly stands for, its systems of checks and balances, and it's notion of the rule of law to crumble when this moronic wannabe dictator is able to do it while being cowed to by the cowards in his party, the right wing media, the rubes, and apologists like Junebug who ought to know better. Turns out its a pretty pathetic foundation.

Seems like.

What they did was not minor.

the House needs to subpoena Barr and when he refuses to show up they need to jail his ass. not the cutesy "are you going to arrest me?" shit he asked Pelosi last time that happened.

What they did was not minor.

Why? How does what they did make a difference? I’m not a lawyer. I understand it’s a personal sacrifice and will hurt their careers. But how will this help address the obvious corruption?

Why? How does what they did make a difference? I’m not a lawyer. I understand it’s a personal sacrifice and will hurt their careers. But how will this help address the obvious corruption?

Would it be front page news? Would Senators be calling for an investigation? They also do not possess the power to stop the corruption. They need to rely on other bodies. Also, this just happened yesterday.

I understand it’s a personal sacrifice and will hurt their careers.

How is this not enough? I still don't get what specific sacrifices you expect of these 4 prosecutors. They a) secured a conviction of Roger Stone and b) made a move that in the current climate will almost certainly be met with retribution against their careers.

Back