• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Zac Taylor

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
Former Wake QB; transferred to Nebraska as a 3-year starter and now the possible front-runner for the Bengals head job. I don't recall the details of the transfer; why did it not work out for him at Wake?

He was stuck behind Cory Randolph who was a class ahead of him and was a better runner in our run based offense. He also had heralded recruit Ben Mauk coming in the class below him.

Former Wake QB; transferred to Nebraska as a 3-year starter and now the possible front-runner for the Bengals head job. I don't recall the details of the transfer; why did it not work out for him at Wake?

The QBs ahead of him didn’t get injured like what happened for Skinner.

WF blew it with him but so do other programs with other QBs.. Hence, they go elsewhere and shine.
Mauk did at Cincinnati as well but his injury situation set him up for difficulty at WF.
The QB deal is a very difficult one for coaches.

Zac was a ringer in a flag football intramural game or two his freshman year

I'm pretty sure Wake had a run in the early 2000s where every QB it recruited ended up a starter at some school before their eligibility expired. Randolph, Mauk, Taylor, Alan ?, Skinner, and the kid who went to UCF.

I'm pretty sure Wake had a run in the early 2000s where every QB it recruited ended up a starter at some school before their eligibility expired. Randolph, Mauk, Taylor, Alan ?, Skinner, and the kid who went to UCF.

Not sure if he is the "Alan" you are referencing, but there was the QB that came from Jon Abbate's HS that ended up transferring and playing for Coastal Carolina. Zack McDowell or something like that?

Didn't we also have one transfer to Ole Miss? In the mid 2000s? Last name Smith maybe?

Bruce Hall?

I remember a lot of guys on the team thought he was the real deal.

WFU has had a ton of good QB’s over the years. The only exceptions are those 2 Florida QBs who were supposed to back up and replace Tanner Price. They were awful.

I'm too lazy to do the timeline, was he a Caldwell recruit or Grobe?

Grobe.

In that 2002 class with Zac, Josh Gattis, also just was signed as Michigan's O-coordinator, after spending the last two years at Alabama and Penn St. WRs coach respectively. He's carved out a nice coaching career at some great programs so far.

I believe Zac transferred to Butler CC for a year in Kansas, and played 2 years at Nebraska, not three. (2 seasons at Wake (1 RS), 1 at Butler, 2 at Nebraska. Ben Mauk was the reason he transferred, as he jumped Zac on the depth chart as a RS frosh.

Interesting, Zac Married Mike Sherman's daughter, former HC of the packers. I believe those connections have helped him in NFL.

WFU has had a ton of good QB’s over the years. The only exceptions are those 2 Florida QBs who were supposed to back up and replace Tanner Price. They were awful.

Didn't one of them have a psycho mom always posting shit on Twitter? IIRC she was somewhat of a MILF but no in the Jake Fromm's mom league though.

Back