• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

Prosser's gift was that he was an actual mentor. Wikipedia should update their definition of mentor to include about a dozen Prosser-isms and Prosser stories. When you are an actual mentor, kids needing/wanting mentors actually drift towards you - some even run at you. So even those players who are majoring in pre-NBA learn a thing or two about growing up, being a participant in a community, becoming a parent, etc...

Dino couldn't quite maintain it, but it was probably unfair to expect him to - I think Prosser took it to the razor's edge with his last set of recruits - as far as keeping them in the student-athlete world. Look at Coach K - I actually think he was a damn good mentor through the Grant Hill era. At some point, he simply became too old/successful to bother and stuck to hoops. It made him better at embracing the one-and-done era. Jay Wright has done as good a job as any of being a mentor-coach for his players and staying there for a long long while. Guys like Billy Donovan or Coach Cal were never much into the mentor stuff. Their whole worlds revolve around basketball so what do they know about history, politics, etc...

Anyway, Manning's issues are that he is not a good coach, not a good mentor, not a good communicator, and not a good head of a program. He has a nice drop step, really good handle for a big, and he is probably a good husband. I would hate to have a beer with him. Sort of like DOnald Trump's college roommate, I'd rather take my chances opening the phone book and picking a random person and cold calling them for a beer in the bar of their choice.

Really gripes my butt to see people assume that Wake basketball was going to tank in Gaudio's 4th season just because BZ screwed everything up.

Dino was not a great coach but he was competent. He played a pack line defense that would have kept Wake in most of their games. He had a top 10 recruiting class coming in that BZ had no ability to connect with. I suspect Wake would have won 15-16 games (what used to be a typical down year for Wake). It would still have been difficult to fire Gaudio based on his 4 year won/loss record.

That recruiting class was shit. Only McKie was decent. There's a reason none of the rest were any good after transferring. His recruiting was like his coaching record, both looked good on the surface but not much substance when you dig deeper. Dino is the only WF coach in the past 50 years to not recuit a future NBA player to WF (the ATT class was Skip's). I also disagree about his coaching competency. He would have floundered as bad as Bz.

Must pass pos rep around. There is a big difference between playing for someone who has been instructed to cull the bad apples and a coach who has selected you because he believes you can succeed in and enhance his BB program. If the present staff hasn't convinced you that coaching makes a difference, you probably don't know the old saying about "assume".

If [Redacted] was actually instructed to do this then he failed just as miserably as he did on the court.

latest

I don't know any inside info and never claimed to know any. I have a friend on campus who said Dino was not well-liked among Wake professionals, i.e personality. But I don't know. My point is that you, along with others, turn speculation into facts. And there just is zero real evidence for the claim you made.

Wellman's two most recent bball hires haven't worked. Prosser worked really well for a while. Wellman has made some great hires in other sports. I get the venom directed toward him, but to contend that he's an idiot, simply doesn't care, intentionally undermined the program, or just gave the job to a friend is just uneducated conspiracy.

There were a lot of performance reasons for Dino to go, and I don't mean internal strife although I'm pretty certain that did exist. I mean from a basketball basis, which are already explained by other posters in this thread.

[Redacted] was hired 6 days after Gaudio was fired. It's entirely possible Wake had already inquired of others quickly both before Gaudio was fired and shortly thereafter. It was during the Final Four where lots of coaches/ADs are all gathered and these types of conversations are expected to happen.

But not really sure why I'm engaging with a dude who makes a "call-out" thread. As someone else said earlier, lots of people have offered reasons but you're dismissing all of them until you seemingly get the real dirt that led to the dismissal. I think there were a number of reasons. I was at the game in Dino's last season when we lost to a bad UNC team. The atmosphere in the arena after the game seemed like that was it for Gaudio. Then we went onto to bomb out at the end of the season.

Go back in time to Gudio and there was a real debate / discussion on one-and-dones vs. the Bulter model of 4 year players. Even Duke and K went towards the 4 year model, until Cal at KY showed everybody that having the best player is more important than having the oldest player.

RW bought in to the 5 star hearts model and got burned. We are still paying for that today.

That recruiting class was shit. Only McKie was decent. There's a reason none of the rest were any good after transferring. His recruiting was like his coaching record, both looked good on the surface but not much substance when you dig deeper. Dino is the only WF coach in the past 50 years to not recuit a future NBA player to WF (the ATT class was Skip's). I also disagree about his coaching competency. He would have floundered as bad as Bz.

Just bullshit. Dino had his issues as a coach but you can't compare him to the disaster that was BZ. You can say all those players were trash, but those who make a living evaluating talent ranked them among the 10 best incoming classes in the nation. Just because a chef totally fucks up the dish does not mean all the ingredients were spoiled.

BZ should never have coached college kids. Dino spent his life doing so and was competent.

Go back in time to Gudio and there was a real debate / discussion on one-and-dones vs. the Bulter model of 4 year players. Even Duke and K went towards the 4 year model, until Cal at KY showed everybody that having the best player is more important than having the oldest player.

RW bought in to the 5 star hearts model and got burned. We are still paying for that today.

Not sure Cal proved any such thing.

I think the best formula is a mix of experience and talent.

I cannot imagine Wake could have ever become a one-and-done factory so Wellman's fears were foolish to begin with.

I don't know any inside info and never claimed to know any. I have a friend on campus who said Dino was not well-liked among Wake professionals, i.e personality. But I don't know. My point is that you, along with others, turn speculation into facts. And there just is zero real evidence for the claim you made.

Wellman's two most recent bball hires haven't worked. Prosser worked really well for a while. Wellman has made some great hires in other sports. I get the venom directed toward him, but to contend that he's an idiot, simply doesn't care, intentionally undermined the program, or just gave the job to a friend is just uneducated conspiracy.

There were a lot of performance reasons for Dino to go, and I don't mean internal strife although I'm pretty certain that did exist. I mean from a basketball basis, which are already explained by other posters in this thread.

[Redacted] was hired 6 days after Gaudio was fired. It's entirely possible Wake had already inquired of others quickly both before Gaudio was fired and shortly thereafter. It was during the Final Four where lots of coaches/ADs are all gathered and these types of conversations are expected to happen.

But not really sure why I'm engaging with a dude who makes a "call-out" thread. As someone else said earlier, lots of people have offered reasons but you're dismissing all of them until you seemingly get the real dirt that led to the dismissal. I think there were a number of reasons. I was at the game in Dino's last season when we lost to a bad UNC team. The atmosphere in the arena after the game seemed like that was it for Gaudio. Then we went onto to bomb out at the end of the season.

No it’s not. It’s simply a list of possible logical explanations.

Regardless of his motivations, firing Dino when we did without a clear improvement lined up was a horrible mistake. The fact that it was clear we could improve on Dino doesn’t make the decision any more defensible.

Of course Butler’s best success came with a two year player

Prosser's gift was that he was an actual mentor. Wikipedia should update their definition of mentor to include about a dozen Prosser-isms and Prosser stories.

I mean, you can update Wikipedia's "mentorship" page in whatever way you'd like.

Reading isn't that hard. I never made any claim. I presented a timeline and speculated on what that timeline seems to indicate.

But, thank you for clearing up that that you don't know shit either. Mission accomplished.

Back