• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

As to the bolded, basketball outweighs them all combined. Football: a decent amount of people care. Soccer: a few people care, and really only as a glimmer of hope/pride because basketball sucks. Tennis: nobody cares. Facilities: nobody cares if they don't lead to basketball wins. Fundraising: nobody cares if it doesn't lead to basketball wins.

Every single one of us would trade football, soccer, tennis, field hockey, badminton, diving, parcheesi, facilities, and fundraising combined to have a top-10 basketball program. None of that other shit matters, and the assclown is too stupid to recognize it.

I wouldn’t trade football success for a top-10 b-ball program. Most of my friend group of fellow Wake alums wouldn’t either.

Nope, not at all correct. You don’t compete for national championships with coaches that toe the company line. We have some badass coaches in several sports that have done a ton of winning, we just, unfortunately, don’t currently have that in basketball.

And the academic part? Your take on that is just as bad. I am currently working with an undergrad on a project, and this kid is so smart and motivated that it’s incredibly impressive. I’ve worked with other similar students at Wake over the past few years as well - the students are just as sharp as ever, if not more so.

#anecdotes

I wouldn’t trade football success for a top-10 b-ball program. Most of my friend group of fellow Wake alums wouldn’t either.

Neither would I. Overall, college football is a much better product than college basketball. Football is great from September to January, where basketball is only interesting for a couple of weeks during March.

7-6 and 3-5 in conference is overwhelming success thatyou just can't walk away from.

Yeah, can't give up that Birmingham Bowl trip for a shot at a national championship in basketball !

7-6 and 3-5 in conference is overwhelming success thatyou just can't walk away from.

Yeah, can't give up that Birmingham Bowl trip for a shot at a national championship in basketball !

With the campus wake has, the resurgence of Winston as a cool, eclectic small city, the facilities we have, and the conference we're in, there's no excuse to not have both except for gross incompetence by the AD.

There is a big difference between us knowing the entire story of why Dino was fired and you stating that Bzz was the only candidate Wellman considered. You seem incapable of appreciating this point though.

So spill the beans. You're one of those who claims to be in the know but won't actually cough up any details. What else went on in the two days between firing Dino and finalizing contract details with [name redacted]?

And, for the record, I didn't state a damn thing. I outlined the timeline and gave a plausible theory based off of it. You're the one who is stating something.

With the campus wake has, the resurgence of Winston as a cool, eclectic small city, the facilities we have, and the conference we're in, there's no excuse to not have both except for gross incompetence by the AD.

That's great and all, but it was presented as an either/or.

Pretty obvious there are no facts. Just more conspiracy theories to feed the gullible. Need a full investigation anyway.

Yeah, at least with regards to the firing of Dino, this thread has accomplished it's purpose. Still just the same recycled rumors, etc and no one willing to go out on a limb and state anythign with any assuredness.

As for the even more interesting question, at least to me, as to how [Redacted] came to be, we have multiple posters who have stated my speculation about the hiring timeline is uninformed, but so far, none of them are willing to step up and provide any details.

Neither would I. Overall, college football is a much better product than college basketball. Football is great from September to January, where basketball is only interesting for a couple of weeks during March.

What do you define as success? If we are in the college football playoffs then sure, fuck basketball. But we aren't and will never be. You are trading the Birmingham Bowl for a top 10 bball program?

In addition to the ACC history aspect of it, I think most people think that we can potentially contend for a national championship in basketball in their lifetime with a good coach and a few other stars aligning. Obviously we are as far from that now as is humanly possible, but at some point it could turn around. To the contrary, we are never going to win, or really come close to winning, a national championship in football.

I got my timeline on Stevens and the Celtics screwed up.

I still think the timing of Dino's firing had to do with Wellman thinking he had a much better replacement ready if only Wake had an opening. Wellman created the open coaching position, and then whomever bailed on him for reasons unknown. Thus Dino was fired a year before the Wake team slid to the level seen at Dino's previous head coaching jobs. Scramble mode led to Jeff [name redacted].

I suspect there were philosophical differences about the direction of the team as well as personal differences between Wellman and Gaudio that didn't help.

Skip had the personality to put the kind of "face" on Wake BB that Wellman wanted. The "pre-NBA" major was not what Wellman wanted to hear or see from Wake players while they were at Wake. While at Wake, the guys were "student-athletes" with the student part first. Dino knew that "pre-NBA" level players were necessary to compete at a top 10 level.

Skip understood how to put a good student veneer on his players while they were at Wake. Dino didn't do as well in that area.

Wellman's underlying philosophies about college athletics were formed 40-50 years ago. One-and-done didn't really exist. "Early departures" for the NBA were juniors. Dino didn't understand his boss and certain aspects of what his boss needed and wanted in his flagship program.

Wellman probably prefers storylines like Jesse Bates and Greg Dortch. They were Wake student-athletes up until the moment they declared. They weren't "pre-NFL" most of their last season at Wake.

To the contrary, we are never going to win, or really come close to winning, a national championship in football.

What if Jon Temple doesn't botch the hold, and Swank puts us up 20-3 vs Clemson in '06 and sends us to 6-0?
What if we don't rest dudes vs VT with an undefeated record on the line?
What if a playoff existed at the time, and we got fraudy #1 seed Ohio State in the first game?

I still think the timing of Dino's firing had to do with Wellman thinking he had a much better replacement ready if only Wake had an opening. Wellman created the open coaching position, and then whomever bailed on him for reasons unknown. Thus Dino was fired a year before the Wake team slid to the level seen at Dino's previous head coaching jobs. Scramble mode led to Jeff [name redacted].

The timeline suggests that [Redacted] was the guy Wellman had lined up. Hard to believe that we fired Dino, went back and forth in a panic with our "in the bag" candidate before realizing it wasn't happening, then looked at all of the other much better possibilities before starting to finalize [Redacted]'s contract in just a matter of a couple days.

No one who has made a claim to be in the know on what went down has stepped up to explain how we narrowed down our choices to [Redacted] so immediately.

Here's the post that resulted in some messages stating I didn't know what I was talking about. Dino fired April 7th, info comes out just after midnight of April 9th that [name redacted] is "close to a deal" but that wouldn't be announced until the next week. [name redacted] was officially announced on the 14th. How many other coaches could we have possibly talked to in any serious fashion from the afternoon of April 7th until April 9th when we started negotiating [name redacted]'s contract?

I offer no proof, but the timeline seems to indicate he was damn near the top. Dino was fired in what was described at the time as a "hastily drawn news conference" on April 7th and [name redacted] was leaked as the front runner in the middle of the night on the 9th/10th, and officially announced on the 14th after he made his way to Winston. If anything, it sounds possible that Wellman could have reached out to [name redacted], found he was interested and then made the decision to fire Gaudio.

I'm sure others could have been contacted in that time, possibly by concerned folks in the AD or boosters, or just as a matter of due diligence. But Wellman was the only person with [name redacted] on his list...if [name redacted] wasn't at the top or damn near it, it makes zero sense that he was finalizing negotiations two days after Gaudio was fired.

Last edited:
racer, you have a hard-on for some conspiracy

pretty sure it was just bad decision-making

The timeline suggests that [Redacted] was the guy Wellman had lined up. Hard to believe that we fired Dino, went back and forth in a panic with our "in the bag" candidate before realizing it wasn't happening, then looked at all of the other much better possibilities before starting to finalize [Redacted]'s contract in just a matter of a couple days.

No one who has made a claim to be in the know on what went down has stepped up to explain how we narrowed down our choices to [Redacted] so immediately.

I thought the newest story was Dino was slangin the spaghetti into Bzzz's daughter and this was the cover up solution.

Back