• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

racer, you have a hard-on for some conspiracy

pretty sure it was just bad decision-making

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think it was bad decision making. I think [Redacted] was Wellman's guy from the start.

It's others who are suggesting that there was more going on behind the scenes. They are normally the same folks most likely to defend Wellman and [Redacted]/Manning. If there was more going on, they've got a chance right here to defend their guy Wellman.

I got my timeline on Stevens and the Celtics screwed up.

I still think the timing of Dino's firing had to do with Wellman thinking he had a much better replacement ready if only Wake had an opening. Wellman created the open coaching position, and then whomever bailed on him for reasons unknown. Thus Dino was fired a year before the Wake team slid to the level seen at Dino's previous head coaching jobs. Scramble mode led to Jeff [name redacted].

I suspect there were philosophical differences about the direction of the team as well as personal differences between Wellman and Gaudio that didn't help.

Skip had the personality to put the kind of "face" on Wake BB that Wellman wanted. The "pre-NBA" major was not what Wellman wanted to hear or see from Wake players while they were at Wake. While at Wake, the guys were "student-athletes" with the student part first. Dino knew that "pre-NBA" level players were necessary to compete at a top 10 level.

Skip understood how to put a good student veneer on his players while they were at Wake. Dino didn't do as well in that area.

Wellman's underlying philosophies about college athletics were formed 40-50 years ago. One-and-done didn't really exist. "Early departures" for the NBA were juniors. Dino didn't understand his boss and certain aspects of what his boss needed and wanted in his flagship program.

Wellman probably prefers storylines like Jesse Bates and Greg Dortch. They were Wake student-athletes up until the moment they declared. They weren't "pre-NFL" most of their last season at Wake.

It wasn't a "veneer" with Skip. Every player who stayed four years graduated during his tenure.

What do you define as success? If we are in the college football playoffs then sure, fuck basketball. But we aren't and will never be. You are trading the Birmingham Bowl for a top 10 bball program?

In addition to the ACC history aspect of it, I think most people think that we can potentially contend for a national championship in basketball in their lifetime with a good coach and a few other stars aligning. Obviously we are as far from that now as is humanly possible, but at some point it could turn around. To the contrary, we are never going to win, or really come close to winning, a national championship in football.

We have come as close to winning the National Championship in football as we have in basketball. We have had a top 10 program for brief periods in basketball and still haven't come close to winning a national championship. The last time we made the Elite Eight was 23 years ago.

We have had a more recent conference championship in football. We have been to a major bowl game in football but haven't been to the Final Four since 1962.

But the point really is that there is NO EXCUSE that Wake can't have success in both football and basketball.

We have come as close to winning the National Championship in football as we have in basketball. We have had a top 10 program for brief periods in basketball and still haven't come close to winning a national championship. The last time we made the Elite Eight was 23 years ago.

We have had a more recent conference championship in football. We have been to a major bowl game in football but haven't been to the Final Four since 1962.

But the point really is that there is NO EXCUSE that Wake can't have success in both football and basketball.

Truth.

There were a number of factors, but despite all of them, Dino's job was safe late until an epic late-season collapse.

In the middle of February, WF was 18-5 (8-3) in conference, and was ranked, and looked in position to do some damage in both the ACC and NCAA tourney. The bottom then fell out. WF lost 4 out of 5 to close the season (and WF was expected win all of those games, but one), and the killer was the 2010 ACC tournament. There were 12 teams in the ACC that year. Miami was the worst team in the conference at 4-12. WF won the tiebreaker to get the #5 seed, and drew Miami. Deacs were expected to roll to face #4 VT in the quarters.

Miami drilled WF 83-62; Deacs were dominated from start to finish. Even so, WF snuck in the NCAAs, and beat Texas in OT (Texas was another team that had collapsed at the end of the year). WF then lost by 30 to KY in the NCAA 2nd round.

WF finished the season 2-6, and it looked like the team quit. WF was losing four seniors, including Ish and LD, and AFA was going pro. WF was facing a major rebuild, and it did not look like Dino was the one to do it (keep in mind that Dino's record as head coach at Army and Loyola was poor). WF would've been better with Dino than [], but Dino was not going to be the long-term answer at WF.

All this makes perfect sense to me. A Team, with high expectations; representing a School with a long, successful history in their signature basketball program, fails. Head(s) roll.

So.....why have we sat on our hands the last 9 years and been satisfied with the garbage we are putting on the Bench/Court? I just don't get it.

I'm old enough, or stupid enough, to think we have had teams that could have won a national championship in basketball. I have never thought we could win one in football. Success is defined differently for Wake in football than basketball but we certainly can have "success" in both sports. Success in football is being relevant. Success in basketball is being a national championship contender.

I don't want to downplay the glory of that one football season, but it was a season in which everything broke right for us as far as schedule, other team results, etc., and we STILL got our ass handed to us by the legit teams that we did play. We had a great season but were never an actual threat to win the championship. In basketball, while we have obviously gagged when it mattered most, we have had multiple seasons in which we have beaten the eventual national champs, other Final Four teams, and other Elite 8 teams. So while we didn't win any championships those years, I don't think anyone would say those teams had no chance of winning. Vegas has given us great odds on multiple occasions. We have never had odds like that in football and likely never will. And if it snows in hell and we actually do, then it will be for one year and then Clawson will get poached. Basketball can be at that constant level as it has shown in the past.

I coached aau bball with JT Terrell's uncle. I showed up at practice one night and he said 'did you hear they fired Guadio' - I hadn't. He told me RW and Guido met to discuss the season and the direction of the program going forward. RW said they were no longer going to recruit one-and-dones, majoring in pre-nba. Dino protested that you have to have future NBA players to compete in the ACC. Dino (with his extension from the prior year) held his ground and RW fired him.

All of the lack of post-season success and other rumors are BS.

I coached aau bball with JT Terrell's uncle. I showed up at practice one night and he said 'did you hear they fired Guadio' - I hadn't. He told me RW and Guido met to discuss the season and the direction of the program going forward. RW said they were no longer going to recruit one-and-dones, majoring in pre-nba. Dino protested that you have to have future NBA players to compete in the ACC. Dino (with his extension from the prior year) held his ground and RW fired him.

All of the lack of post-season success and other rumors are BS.

#culture #hystericallynoncompetitive

130 posts and we're no closer

91VoYZMDoiL._SX425_.jpg

So if Hoard goes pro this year I guess Manning gets fired for recruiting a one-and-done.

I got my timeline on Stevens and the Celtics screwed up.

I still think the timing of Dino's firing had to do with Wellman thinking he had a much better replacement ready if only Wake had an opening. Wellman created the open coaching position, and then whomever bailed on him for reasons unknown. Thus Dino was fired a year before the Wake team slid to the level seen at Dino's previous head coaching jobs. Scramble mode led to Jeff [name redacted].

Really gripes my butt to see people assume that Wake basketball was going to tank in Gaudio's 4th season just because BZ screwed everything up.

Dino was not a great coach but he was competent. He played a pack line defense that would have kept Wake in most of their games. He had a top 10 recruiting class coming in that BZ had no ability to connect with. I suspect Wake would have won 15-16 games (what used to be a typical down year for Wake). It would still have been difficult to fire Gaudio based on his 4 year won/loss record.

Last edited:
we STILL got our ass handed to us by the legit teams that we did play..

Huh???

We had the Clemson game won before we let them back in.
The VT game meant nothing to us in terms of winning the conference so we rested dudes, and our focus was on the win-and-in-the-ACCCG for us matchup vs. Maryland the next week.
We were beating Louisville in the 4th quarter.

???

Huh???

We had the Clemson game won before we let them back in.
The VT game meant nothing to us in terms of winning the conference so we rested dudes, and our focus was on the win-and-in-the-ACCCG for us matchup vs. Maryland the next week.
We were beating Louisville in the 4th quarter.

???

So we lost to pretty much all of the good teams we played.

Got it. Thanks.

Public call out: For the handful of the people over the years, including today, who have sent PM's and left Pos/Negrep implying that "we" don't know the whole story, aren't privy to the truth and should stop opining; spill the damn beans. It's been 9 years, two massive failures at coach, a program on life support, and an AD on the way out. The statute of limitations has probably passed. What's keeping you from coming forward with the truth? Put up or shut the hell up.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RacerDeac again.

So we lost to pretty much all of the good teams we played.

Got it. Thanks.

BC was ranked all year and we beat them
GT was ranked most of the year (including when we played them after the conclusion of the regular season) and we beat them

Back