• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

All this makes perfect sense to me. A Team, with high expectations; representing a School with a long, successful history in their signature basketball program, fails. Head(s) roll.

So.....why have we sat on our hands the last 9 years and been satisfied with the garbage we are putting on the Bench/Court? I just don't get it.

This is one of the problems with WF fan mentality. Of course we can have a more successful program than we do now, but claiming that we have a “long, successful history” in basketball is just false. We have a long, above average (making the tournament a decent bit) history, with a good number of well-known, successful NBA players.

Huh???

We had the Clemson game won before we let them back in.
The VT game meant nothing to us in terms of winning the conference so we rested dudes, and our focus was on the win-and-in-the-ACCCG for us matchup vs. Maryland the next week.
We were beating Louisville in the 4th quarter.

???

Gaines Adams blocked the kick on the first play of the 4th quarter and it was clear the game was over then. We ended up losing 27-17. It wasn't like they won on a Hail Mary as time expired.
We lost to VaTech 27-6. Looking at the play by play, Skinner, Idelette, Marion, etc. were all still playing down 27-6 with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
We lost to Louisville 24-13. And yes the game is 4 quarters long. And at the end we lost 24-13.

Your stance that we got our ass handed to us by the good teams is complete nonsense. I don't know why I should be surprised, the king of nonsense, you are

This is one of the problems with WF fan mentality. Of course we can have a more successful program than we do now, but claiming that we have a “long, successful history” in basketball is just false. We have a long, above average (making the tournament a decent bit) history, with a good number of well-known, successful NBA players.

I'd say being one of the best 25 teams in the nation out of 350+ over a period that stretches multiple decades is the definition of long and successful. Elite? No. On the next tier just below the elites, yes. Do I think we can do better, absolutely. But if anything Wake fans have downplayed just how successful our basketball team was pre-[Redacted] as opposed to overplaying as you suggest.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "got our ass handed to us". Apparently it means "lost" to 2&2 - I think of it as getting whooped, which I agree isn't an accurate description of any of those three losses in 2006.

We got our ass handed to us by Clemson this year, for example.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "got our ass handed to us". Apparently it means "lost" to 2&2 - I think of it as getting whooped, which I agree isn't an accurate description of any of those three losses in 2006.

We got our ass handed to us by Clemson this year, for example.

We got our ass handed to us X 1,000 by Clemson this year.

I'd say being one of the best 25 teams in the nation out of 350+ over a period that stretches multiple decades is the definition of long and successful. Elite? No. On the next tier just below the elites, yes. Do I think we can do better, absolutely. But if anything Wake fans have downplayed just how successful our basketball team was pre-[Redacted] as opposed to overplaying as you suggest.

TITCR

I'd also qualify many of our NCAA Tournament losses the last 25 years as ass whoopings -- Kentucky x3, Butler, Cleveland steamer. But not the 2006 football losses (VT would qualify but major extenuating circumstances)

Last edited:
Gaines Adams blocked the kick on the first play of the 4th quarter and it was clear the game was over then. We ended up losing 27-17. It wasn't like they won on a Hail Mary as time expired.
We lost to VaTech 27-6. Looking at the play by play, Skinner, Idelette, Marion, etc. were all still playing down 27-6 with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
We lost to Louisville 24-13. And yes the game is 4 quarters long. And at the end we lost 24-13.

I always felt like we backed our way into that bowl game, too. But it didn't make me enjoy it any less. But I wouldn't trade Clawson and what he's building in football for a top-10 basketball team. I don't care if we don't win a National Championship in football, becoming more and more competitive in the ACC and going to better bowl games is fun for me, and college football is way more enjoyable for me than basketball. Hell, baseball is my favorite sport and I'd way rather go watch us win in Omaha than in the Final Four. Obviously there's no reason we can't do all those things.

ACC expansion and us sucking ass has killed my basketball interest. I still think Wellman should be fired for tanking our basketball program, and I would get season tickets to bball again if we stopped sucking, but I don't think basketball means the same thing to Wake alumni today what it used to in the old ACC days. Plus there's soccer, which I don't really like, but going to playoff games when we are going for championships is even fun. There have to be very few alumni today that would trade success in all these areas for basketball.

Last edited:

Yep!

It wasn't a "veneer" with Skip. Every player who stayed four years graduated during his tenure.

It's not the ones who stayed four years. Its the attitude, actions and words of those who leave before completing four that is part of the difference. CP3 was a student right up until he declared for the NBA draft. Other players didn't acknowledge the student part of "student-athlete" sufficiently while they were at Wake, prior to leaving early for the NBA.

What are the odds each of the following earns a Wake degree?
CP3
AFA
James Johnson
Jeff Teague

It's not the ones who stayed four years. Its the attitude, actions and words of those who leave before completing four that is part of the difference. CP3 was a student right up until he declared for the NBA draft. Other players didn't acknowledge the student part of "student-athlete" sufficiently while they were at Wake, prior to leaving early for the NBA.

What are the odds each of the following earns a Wake degree?
CP3
AFA
James Johnson
Jeff Teague

I could see AFA and CP earning degrees, but that's only because I know their families a bit. I don't know JJ or Teague at all, so who knows?

education is great, but assuming Teague exercises the third year of his current deal, he'll have earned $96 million in the NBA

not a whole lot of incentive to earn the degree

I could see AFA and CP earning degrees, but that's only because I know their families a bit. I don't know JJ or Teague at all, so who knows?

And that may have been part of the philosophical differences between Wellman and Gaudio. CP3 and AFA both acted like they understood the importance of the "student" part of student-athlete while at Wake. The other two acted like Wake was simply a way station on the trip to the NBA. Old school Wellman wasn't fond of that.

And that may have been part of the philosophical differences between Wellman and Gaudio. CP3 and AFA both acted like they understood the importance of the "student" part of student-athlete while at Wake. The other two acted like Wake was simply a way station on the trip to the NBA. Old school Wellman wasn't fond of that.

What do you mean by "acted like they understood the importance of the 'student' part of student-athlete" at Wake?

I'm just referring to the fact from knowing them both a bit that both the Paul and Aminu families really value education.

Kenny Moore didn’t play vs VT and one or two defensive players. We were down to our 4th string TB when the fast white kid from Florida got knocked silly.

Win or loss vs VaTech that year didn't matter. Beating Maryland the next week was do or die for the division title. Thus Grobe rested players who were a little nicked up or banged up. He wasn't burning shirts that game either.

totally this. i posted in another thread about wake's past success (including the last decade of ass shit fuck bitch shit). wake is 38th all time in ncaa tournament wins (there are 335 d1 schools).
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA are the outliers. you can't compare to these programs, only those programs can compare to each other.

Back