• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

What do you mean by "acted like they understood the importance of the 'student' part of student-athlete" at Wake?

I'm just referring to the fact from knowing them both a bit that both the Paul and Aminu families really value education.

The point i am trying to make is that under Dino's watch there were players (not CP3 or AFA) who claimed to major in "pre NBA." I suspect that kind of publicity didn't sit well with Wellman. And the coach, rightly or wrongly, was blamed.

I don't want to discuss the decision to leave from the players perspective. Just want to take a guess how their behavior and words prior to leaving Wake might have been perceived in the ADs office and how that perception might have had a negative impact on Gaudio's career at Wake.

totally this. i posted in another thread about wake's past success (including the last decade of ass shit fuck bitch shit). wake is 38th all time in ncaa tournament wins (there are 335 d1 schools).
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA are the outliers. you can't compare to these programs, only those programs can compare to each other.

Some of those outliers have well documented cheating episodes that may have helped those win totals.

The point i am trying to make is that under Dino's watch there were players (not CP3 or AFA) who claimed to major in "pre NBA." I suspect that kind of publicity didn't sit well with Wellman. And the coach, rightly or wrongly, was blamed.

I don't want to discuss the decision to leave from the players perspective. Just want to take a guess how their behavior and words prior to leaving Wake might have been perceived in the ADs office and how that perception might have had a negative impact on Gaudio's career at Wake.

Meh. There isn't much of a difference between pre- and post-Gaudio players from my experience. Rise of social media and outlets dedicated to discussing minor issues in sports grew significantly over the same period of time. Somebody else is more fit to answer this, but did the quality of student-athlete change dramatically between Staak and Manning-eras? My hunch is that the answer is no. Jocks are gonna jock. Some jocks are smarter than other jocks. At the end of the day, elite basketball recruits are going to want to play in the NBA and, if the rules permit them to leave and their talent is good enough to leave, then they'll play in the NBA.

I coached aau bball with JT Terrell's uncle. I showed up at practice one night and he said 'did you hear they fired Guadio' - I hadn't. He told me RW and Guido met to discuss the season and the direction of the program going forward. RW said they were no longer going to recruit one-and-dones, majoring in pre-nba. Dino protested that you have to have future NBA players to compete in the ACC. Dino (with his extension from the prior year) held his ground and RW fired him.

All of the lack of post-season success and other rumors are BS.

I doubt the details that Racer seeks will ever be disclosed. The powers that be are consistent about keeping the dirty laundry to themselves. Got to keep up appearances. I doubt they consider how badly the administration of the men's basketball reflects on their stewardship.

That said, the above explanation seems as likely as any. A challenged Wellman could react without thinking through the consequences and quickly hire an old acquaintance to smooth out the rough edges. We won't ever know the truth. That was likely the last agreement Gaudio and Wellman made.

Also, can you link to where Wake players claimed to major in pre-NBA?

Really gripes my butt to see people assume that Wake basketball was going to tank in Gaudio's 4th season just because BZ screwed everything up.

Dino was not a great coach but he was competent. He played a pack line defense that would have kept Wake in most of their games. He had a top 10 recruiting class coming in that BZ had no ability to connect with. I suspect Wake would have won 15-16 games (what used to be a typical down year for Wake). It would still have been difficult to fire Gaudio based on his 4 year won/loss record.

Must pass pos rep around. There is a big difference between playing for someone who has been instructed to cull the bad apples and a coach who has selected you because he believes you can succeed in and enhance his BB program. If the present staff hasn't convinced you that coaching makes a difference, you probably don't know the old saying about "assume".

Meh. There isn't much of a difference between pre- and post-Gaudio players from my experience. Rise of social media and outlets dedicated to discussing minor issues in sports grew significantly over the same period of time. Somebody else is more fit to answer this, but did the quality of student-athlete change dramatically between Staak and Manning-eras? My hunch is that the answer is no. Jocks are gonna jock. Some jocks are smarter than other jocks. At the end of the day, elite basketball recruits are going to want to play in the NBA and, if the rules permit them to leave and their talent is good enough to leave, then they'll play in the NBA.

It isn't a matter of actual differences, it is a matter of perceived differences. I suspect Wellman doesn't understand how much of kids lives are on social media today. 30 years ago a "majoring in pre-NBA" comment might get a laugh among a few friends and nothing more. Today it would be all over social media and potentially read by 100's, if not 1000's of people. No real difference in the comment or the players, but a big difference in how it is perceived in the AD's office.

These comments were supposedly made 10+ years ago before the modern social age.

I doubt the details that Racer seeks will ever be disclosed. The powers that be are consistent about keeping the dirty laundry to themselves. Got to keep up appearances. I doubt they consider how badly the administration of the men's basketball reflects on their stewardship.

That said, the above explanation seems as likely as any. A challenged Wellman could react without thinking through the consequences and quickly hire an old acquaintance to smooth out the rough edges. We won't ever know the truth. That was likely the last agreement Gaudio and Wellman made.

Sure that's about as believable as the rest. Gaudio wouldn't be able to get squat in the door if Wellman didn't support him, so why would Wellman fire Gaudio knowing he'd have to pay the buyout? Unless it was in Gaudio's contract already not sure why Gaudio even have to agree to a NDA.

I'd say being one of the best 25 teams in the nation out of 350+ over a period that stretches multiple decades is the definition of long and successful. Elite? No. On the next tier just below the elites, yes. Do I think we can do better, absolutely. But if anything Wake fans have downplayed just how successful our basketball team was pre-[Redacted] as opposed to overplaying as you suggest.
This is 100% true. People that want to down play our historic success in b-ball are doing it as a way to indirectly support Wellman and the devastation he has caused on the program.

These comments were supposedly made 10+ years ago before the modern social age.

Enough social media existed then (myspace, anyone) for me to hear about them from 400 miles away. If I heard about it, I am sure Ron Wellman heard about it. And I surmise it did not sit well with him.

Jaylen has been pretty open about being a one and done and thus majoring in pre nba. Mike Wynn barely could graduate high school, our coaches kill people on vacations, so how are things any better now then when Dino was coach.

Shoot at least back then our players were majoring in pre NBA, not pre D league.

And that may have been part of the philosophical differences between Wellman and Gaudio. CP3 and AFA both acted like they understood the importance of the "student" part of student-athlete while at Wake. The other two acted like Wake was simply a way station on the trip to the NBA. Old school Wellman wasn't fond of that.
Heaven forbid kids want to use college as a springboard to a multi million dollar job. That’s crazy.

Heaven forbid kids want to use college as a springboard to a multi million dollar job. That’s crazy.

We even refer to that reality when we formally and informally label their majors as pre-professional (for example, pre-med).

Also, can you link to where Wake players claimed to major in pre-NBA?

Meanwhile, we have a player on the team currently who expressed his plan to be one and done before we ever accepted his commitment.

Enough social media existed then (myspace, anyone) for me to hear about them from 400 miles away. If I heard about it, I am sure Ron Wellman heard about it. And I surmise it did not sit well with him.

Did you ever see a link?

James Johnson was rumored to have said his major was pre-NBA. Not aware of a link. Not aware of any other players even allegedly saying it.

James Johnson was rumored to have said his major was pre-NBA. Not aware of a link. Not aware of any other players even allegedly saying it.

Yes. That's exactly what was reported on the old board.

Seems to have been a decent choice in majors by James, $77 million later. I'm sure that Townie's philosophy major is right behind.

There is a big difference between us knowing the entire story of why Dino was fired and you stating that Bzz was the only candidate Wellman considered. You seem incapable of appreciating this point though.

So spill the beans. You're one of those who claims to be in the know but won't actually cough up any details. What else went on in the two days between firing Dino and finalizing contract details with [name redacted]?

And, for the record, I didn't state a damn thing. I outlined the timeline and gave a plausible theory based off of it. You're the one who is stating something.

latest

Back