• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

The plotline that always made the most sense to me was (all speculation)...

1) Frustration with under performance in postseason
1a) potential personality or vision of program disagreements between Dino and Wellman
2) Wellman fires Dino coming off 3 seasons with a 67% win % with the stated expectation that Wake should win in the postseason
3) Coaching fraternity raises eyebrows and disapproves of move b/c of Dino's record was good and hadn't "failed," and had recently been extended
4) Wellman whiffs on top choice(s) - probably Stevens at least, maybe more
5) Hires Bz
6) overall reaction to hire is "WTF?" (especially noting that Bz showed no evidence of rectifying Wellman's criterion for Dino's dismissal - postseason success)
7) in response to 3 and 6, rumors begin to emerge or professional or personal impropriety
8) bz throws character of program and players under the bus as Wellman shifts the narrative from postseason success to program "Culture"

Seems correct and is an incredible indictment of the character of Ron Wellman.

I don't know how some of you guys can support the guy who destroyed Wake basketball just to satisfy his own hubris.

The plotline that always made the most sense to me was (all speculation)...

1) Frustration with under performance in postseason
1a) potential personality or vision of program disagreements between Dino and Wellman
2) Wellman fires Dino coming off 3 seasons with a 67% win % with the stated expectation that Wake should win in the postseason
3) Coaching fraternity raises eyebrows and disapproves of move b/c of Dino's record was good and hadn't "failed," and had recently been extended
4) Wellman whiffs on top choice(s) - probably Stevens at least, maybe more
5) Hires Bz
6) overall reaction to hire is "WTF?" (especially noting that Bz showed no evidence of rectifying Wellman's criterion for Dino's dismissal - postseason success)
7) in response to 3 and 6, rumors begin to emerge or professional or personal impropriety
8) bz throws character of program and players under the bus as Wellman shifts the narrative from postseason success to program "Culture"

The mystery coed was Redacted daughter also at wake. Nothing happened, but it looked bad and hiring redacted was a way to pay the legal settlement to a "friend" without everything getting out.

That’s because you don’t know how nice of a table it is, maple like an expensive kitchen.

Yeah yeah yeah, that stuff all started circulating around the same time as the "Dino screwed a coed" (you know, while his daughter was a student at Wake) rumors shortly after it was realized that [name redacted] wasn't a rousing success. We've heard the same stuff for 9 years, all whispers. I've shared more than a handful of drunken conversations with big donors who say they don't believe it for one minute. The folks spreading the rumors had the balls to assinate his character in private. Someone step up and do it in "public"...or not. Do it behind a burner screen name for all I care. It's going to take some convincing though considering the way the NCAA has treated multiple programs with kids gloves lately.

And, let's say for a moment that it really is true, that Dino was doing whatever they say he was doing. Someone still needs to explain [name redacted], which is what prompted this thread. How was he was finalizing his negotiations 2 days after Dino was fired? Who are these other, better candidates that we offered in the 24-48 hours before we began negotiated with [name redacted]?

There is a big difference between us knowing the entire story of why Dino was fired and you stating that Bzz was the only candidate Wellman considered. You seem incapable of appreciating this point though.

I have heard that Dino challenged Wellmans ego constantly and the two didn't have a good working relationship to the point Wellman felt like Dino was deliberately disrespecting him, parking in his reserved parking spot etc...

Wellman then fires Dino and hires his buddy Buzz so he could have more control over the program. When it became evident that Wellman was failing he started a dirty smear campaign of rumors and lies designed to discredit Dino. The donors and blue hairs bought it hook line and sinker.

Yes not complicated

Jason Parker should have been allowed to enroll at Wake when UNC messed up.

There were a number of factors, but despite all of them, Dino's job was safe late until an epic late-season collapse.

In the middle of February, WF was 18-5 (8-3) in conference, and was ranked, and looked in position to do some damage in both the ACC and NCAA tourney. The bottom then fell out. WF lost 4 out of 5 to close the season (and WF was expected win all of those games, but one), and the killer was the 2010 ACC tournament. There were 12 teams in the ACC that year. Miami was the worst team in the conference at 4-12. WF won the tiebreaker to get the #5 seed, and drew Miami. Deacs were expected to roll to face #4 VT in the quarters.

Miami drilled WF 83-62; Deacs were dominated from start to finish. Even so, WF snuck in the NCAAs, and beat Texas in OT (Texas was another team that had collapsed at the end of the year). WF then lost by 30 to KY in the NCAA 2nd round.

WF finished the season 2-6, and it looked like the team quit. WF was losing four seniors, including Ish and LD, and AFA was going pro. WF was facing a major rebuild, and it did not look like Dino was the one to do it (keep in mind that Dino's record as head coach at Army and Loyola was poor). WF would've been better with Dino than [], but Dino was not going to be the long-term answer at WF.

This is now otherwise known as a dream season.

I have a hard time believing the Clark/Teague and band member incident didn't have anything to do with it.

The mystery coed was Redacted daughter also at wake. Nothing happened, but it looked bad and hiring redacted was a way to pay the legal settlement to a "friend" without everything getting out.

Wait, so Dino was shacking up with Redacted's daughter? Some of you have some wild imaginations

I have a hard time believing the Clark/Teague and band member incident didn't have anything to do with it.

Wait, so Dino was shacking up with Redacted's daughter? Some of you have some wild imaginations

Dino was extended after the incident, and Gary Clark was a captain on [Redacted]’s first team.

PM Ball State Deac for the deets

I had no idea it was so bad

Dino got fired because he wasn't an ACC caliber head coach. You can look at his record, especially through the lense of what's happened since then and think, "it was crazy to fire him", but it wasn't. He couldn't turn a corner at Wake with a team in which 4 of the top 6 players are still in the NBA, 10 years later. Sure he made the tourney and generally had us in the upper 1/3 of the ACC, but he had loads of talent as well. We'd start hot and finish cold because people could figure out our one weakness and exploit it. (During his tenure is was the inability to shoot the basketball consistently from outside).

Thank goodness we've solved that problem since then.

Why did Wellman ever extend Dino if they didn’t get along? Recruiting?

Why did Wellman ever extend Dino if they didn’t get along? Recruiting?

Probably. The standard line is coaches need more than one year left on their contract to recruit effectively. Three or more is better.

I heard from 2 sources that Dino was very well liked by the Atheletic department, and the faculty. But that the reason why Dino was fired was Wellman was not happy with the type of student athlete that Dino was recruiting.

This is the primary reason Dino was fired. Whether there was actually any truth to it, the very allegation was just not something that could be tolerated at Wake Forest. This is what the whole "culture" reasoning was all about.

Back