• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

RacerDeac

#iwasright #rjlies
Reaction score
Public call out: For the handful of the people over the years, including today, who have sent PM's and left Pos/Negrep implying that "we" don't know the whole story, aren't privy to the truth and should stop opining; spill the damn beans. It's been 9 years, two massive failures at coach, a program on life support, and an AD on the way out. The statute of limitations has probably passed. What's keeping you from coming forward with the truth? Put up or shut the hell up.

I certainly do not know the whole story, but a guy who used to be on the BoT very recently told me that the NCAA came to Wellman/Hatch with some violations under Dino but agreed to sweep them under the rug if they got rid of him. No clue of the legitimacy of it. This guy is no Wellman fan, so I don't think he'd be covering for him.

I certainly do not know the whole story, but a guy who used to be on the BoT very recently told me that the NCAA came to Wellman/Hatch with some violations under Dino but agreed to sweep them under the rug if they got rid of him. No clue of the legitimacy of it. This guy is no Wellman fan, so I don't think he'd be covering for him.

That's a new one. Now the NCAA is complicit in a cover up. This shit never ends. Maybe when Mueller wraps up his current job in 2024 we can get him to sort this out.

Looks like a bunch of crimes and cover up going on.

That's not how the NCAA works. At least not publicly. Plenty of programs have gotten punished, gotten rid of the coach, and stayed punished.

All of this is second and third hand info, but had heard that Dino didn't have the rep of being particularly smart or tactful in dealing with the administration, particularly the admissions officers. Really important that coaches have a good relationship with admissions department; so trust and the ability to maintain a clear line of communications between the coaching staff and the admissions people is key.

Skip had a lot of respect, a strong connection with those in the admissions department and was given leeway when recruits had a marginal academic background; Dino was the opposite; I know the admissions office tried to work with him, but felt like he just did not even want to deal with admissions department issues when it came to recruiting. Dino was not missed when he was terminated.

He's not covering for ronnie. He's covering for himself post leaving the bot and not doing anything about this sh!t show for 9 years.

Yeah yeah yeah, that stuff all started circulating around the same time as the "Dino screwed a coed" (you know, while his daughter was a student at Wake) rumors shortly after it was realized that [name redacted] wasn't a rousing success. We've heard the same stuff for 9 years, all whispers. I've shared more than a handful of drunken conversations with big donors who say they don't believe it for one minute. The folks spreading the rumors had the balls to assinate his character in private. Someone step up and do it in "public"...or not. Do it behind a burner screen name for all I care. It's going to take some convincing though considering the way the NCAA has treated multiple programs with kids gloves lately.

And, let's say for a moment that it really is true, that Dino was doing whatever they say he was doing. Someone still needs to explain [name redacted], which is what prompted this thread. How was he was finalizing his negotiations 2 days after Dino was fired? Who are these other, better candidates that we offered in the 24-48 hours before we began negotiated with [name redacted]?

That's a new one. Now the NCAA is complicit in a cover up. This shit never ends. Maybe when Mueller wraps up his current job in 2024 we can get him to sort this out.

lol

That's my favorite of the rumors. Wellman, the man supposedly obsessed with culture and doing things "the right way", swept bigtime violations under the rug and paid Dino to go away. Hell, I've even heard it rumored that Dino raped a coed and that Wellman fired him before it could become public.

I have no idea why Dino was relieved of his duties; but this thread is rather comical. People are called to "spill the beans", then each one who offers some bit of information is promptly shot down. Seems to be a strange method for getting people to talk.

I have no idea why Dino was relieved of his duties; but this thread is rather comical. People are called to "spill the beans", then each one who offers some bit of information is promptly shot down. Seems to be a strange method for getting people to talk.

You'd think someone who actually knows something would have the ability to establish that. No one here is claiming any first-hand knowledge of anything.

I was told in a rep comment that helped inspire this thread that I should stop opining and "listen more." Ok, I'm listening. Spill it.

There were a number of factors, but despite all of them, Dino's job was safe late until an epic late-season collapse.

In the middle of February, WF was 18-5 (8-3) in conference, and was ranked, and looked in position to do some damage in both the ACC and NCAA tourney. The bottom then fell out. WF lost 4 out of 5 to close the season (and WF was expected win all of those games, but one), and the killer was the 2010 ACC tournament. There were 12 teams in the ACC that year. Miami was the worst team in the conference at 4-12. WF won the tiebreaker to get the #5 seed, and drew Miami. Deacs were expected to roll to face #4 VT in the quarters.

Miami drilled WF 83-62; Deacs were dominated from start to finish. Even so, WF snuck in the NCAAs, and beat Texas in OT (Texas was another team that had collapsed at the end of the year). WF then lost by 30 to KY in the NCAA 2nd round.

WF finished the season 2-6, and it looked like the team quit. WF was losing four seniors, including Ish and LD, and AFA was going pro. WF was facing a major rebuild, and it did not look like Dino was the one to do it (keep in mind that Dino's record as head coach at Army and Loyola was poor). WF would've been better with Dino than [], but Dino was not going to be the long-term answer at WF.

Accurate, but expected. That's the way this board operates.

links to people 'shot down' for legitimate information not being "i sit at the table b/c i give money'

There were a number of factors, but despite all of them, Dino's job was safe late until an epic late-season collapse.

In the middle of February, WF was 18-5 (8-3) in conference, and was ranked, and looked in position to do some damage in both the ACC and NCAA tourney. The bottom then fell out. WF lost 4 out of 5 to close the season (and WF was expected win all of those games, but one), and the killer was the 2010 ACC tournament. There were 12 teams in the ACC that year. Miami was the worst team in the conference at 4-12. WF won the tiebreaker to get the #5 seed, and drew Miami. Deacs were expected to roll to face #4 VT in the quarters.

Miami drilled WF 83-62; Deacs were dominated from start to finish. Even so, WF snuck in the NCAAs, and beat Texas in OT (Texas was another team that had collapsed at the end of the year). WF then lost by 30 to KY in the NCAA 2nd round.

WF finished the season 2-6, and it looked like the team quit. WF was losing four seniors, including Ish and LD, and AFA was going pro. WF was facing a major rebuild, and it did not look like Dino was the one to do it (keep in mind that Dino's record as head coach at Army and Loyola was poor). WF would've been better with Dino than [], but Dino was not going to be the long-term answer at WF.

See, this makes the most sense of any explanation I've heard...that it came down to a matter of performance. But, there's another side to this coin. Dino's performance, or lack thereof, doesn't explain the [Redacted] hire that came after it or the way that Dino's character was assassinated publicly and via whispers. Any info you're willing to stand behind on that?

Accurate, but expected. That's the way this board operates.

Hey, I'm listening. You're claiming to be in the know. Surely you can provide some details as to why you are in the know?

Dino got fired because he wasn't an ACC caliber head coach. You can look at his record, especially through the lense of what's happened since then and think, "it was crazy to fire him", but it wasn't. He couldn't turn a corner at Wake with a team in which 4 of the top 6 players are still in the NBA, 10 years later. Sure he made the tourney and generally had us in the upper 1/3 of the ACC, but he had loads of talent as well. We'd start hot and finish cold because people could figure out our one weakness and exploit it. (During his tenure is was the inability to shoot the basketball consistently from outside).
That we hired Bz, which was inexplicable, and held on to Manning after last year and so far this year is a different question, but I was for the decision to get rid of Dino. He wasn't a special coach who could do any better than he had done and we needed fresh blood if we wanted to go deep in the post season...we got cold fish instead.

Keep in my mind that 2010 was not the first time a Dino-coached team had a late season collapse; the year before WF was 16-0 and #1 in the f-ing nation in late January; had 4 future NBA players, and somehow managed to not just lose, but get dominated in the first round of the ACC Tournament (as the #2 seed!), and then stumbled into a 15 point loss to Cleveland State (#4 v. #13 game) in the first round in the NCAAs. Under Dino, WF went from #1 in the country to 0 for in the post season as huge favorites. Dino completely butchered the end of the 2009 season too.

Dino's post season record at WF was 1-5 in the post-season, and WF was a big favorite in all, but one of those games.

In this context, with major questions about Dino's coaching ability, the clear regression of talent on the roster (WF was going to suck in a major way had Dino returned in 2011; realize it may have been slightly better with Dino, but in 2011, WF went 1 for 17 in ACC games and was one of the worst teams in ACC history #259) and issues about Dino off the court came together to lead to the decision to cut ties. The decision to dump Dino was correct, but WF completely bungled in finding the next coach to lead the program, and WF then compounded that error in the Spring of 2014.

Last edited:
Back