• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

I heard from 2 sources that Dino was very well liked by the Atheletic department, and the faculty. But that the reason why Dino was fired was Wellman was not happy with the type of student athlete that Dino was recruiting.

Like who? Which ones did Wellman have a problem with?

Keep in mind Dino didn’t recruit that many players after Skip passed.

You want dirt ?

Dino was running a child sex ring out of Elizabeth’s Pizza.

Like who? Which ones did Wellman have a problem with?

Keep in mind Dino didn’t recruit that many players after Skip passed.

I really have no idea , Tony Qoods had some trouble, but he was a Skip recruit, Clark and Teague where both Skip guys. Rhe only players I remember having any trouble was J.T Terrell, was Melvin Tabb a Dino recruit? I do not know if it holds water but but I did hear Dino was well liked.

It is ridiculous more people won't admit that firing Dino was a mistake after what we've experienced the last 9 years. There is a reason we don't have other coaches you all think we should have hired instead. They didn't want to be here.

It is ridiculous more people won't admit that firing Dino was a mistake after what we've experienced the last 9 years. There is a reason we don't have other coaches you all think we should have hired instead. They didn't want to be here.
This

The mistake was hiring him full time which compounded into more mistakes.

There’s a reason why he didn’t have a coaching job until his buddy got the Louisville gig.

I don’t know why Wake fans settle for coaches nobody else wants.

clawson seems to be working out but the guy mishandled the end of Grobe's tenure and has been a black hole of leadership and accountability when it comes to BB. not that hard argue #assclown

Sure, if you just want to be a dick. People making decisions, I am going to go out on a limb and say aren't weighing assclown arguments, they are weighing football, soccer, tennis, facilities, fundraising, etc...

So you can have the assclown discussion again, it just has no value other than venting. Repeatedly.

My argument is that it doesn't matter whether Wellman is or was shit, good or great. The question is can he get his first choice hire at the end of the year. Let's say he goes after the Buffalo coach. How likely is he to say yes? I don't think very likely. Oats has never had to recruit 4-star recruits in his life, or even had the opportunity to - can he get them? Sure. Would he want to try his luck at Wake Forest? In the ACC? And recruit against the big boys? With a dead man walking AD? Possibly.

But if I were Oats, I'd look at other jobs too where the relationship I started with the AD was going to matter 6 years down the road because s/he was still going to be there. ..

This is why I HOPE Wellman pushed the decision to fire Manning out a year. He knows this and wasn't ready March 2018. My FEAR is that he's not going to be ready 90 days from now either. We have zero indication he is even leaning out the door. That said, Wellman has been old school no transparency for decades. Even when our football team has been exciting the last few years, our stadium looks like a tomb. Almost as bad as Duke. That's because Wellman has focused on corporate and afluent sponsorship. I have no doubt the new press box area is popping. But he has essentially ignored the general fan. It doesn't seem like we have any strategy to fill the corner seats. In basketball, Prosser took that role upon himself, which in hindsight is pretty remarkable. Clawson simply doesn't have time, and it may be the reason he leaves should we get a 9 to 10 win season going and we still can't get fan momentum.

Anyway, my argument for Wellman going has nothing to do with what he has done to now and everything to do with how likely he can knock a home run next hire vs. his replacement. Wellman's job is way more intriguing to a young AD than our basketball coaching position. IMO. Fill that one first.

Last edited:
Firing a coach coming off an NCAA bid who had a 67% winning percentage was dumb. I said it at the time and said that we risk having a decade of irrelevance. And here we are...….

Sure, if you just want to be a dick. People making decisions, I am going to go out on a limb and say aren't weighing assclown arguments, they are weighing football, soccer, tennis, facilities, fundraising, etc...

So you can have the assclown discussion again, it just has no value other than venting. Repeatedly.

My argument is that it doesn't matter whether Wellman is or was shit, good or great. The question is can he get his first choice hire at the end of the year. Let's say he goes after the Buffalo coach. How likely is he to say yes? I don't think very likely. Oats has never had to recruit 4-star recruits in his life, or even had the opportunity to - can he get them? Sure. Would he want to try his luck at Wake Forest? In the ACC? And recruit against the big boys? With a dead man walking AD? Possibly.

But if I were Oats, I'd look at other jobs too where the relationship I started with the AD was going to matter 6 years down the road because s/he was still going to be there. ..

This is why I HOPE Wellman pushed the decision to fire Manning out a year. He knows this and wasn't ready March 2018. My FEAR is that he's not going to be ready 90 days from now either. We have zero indication he is even leaning out the door. That said, Wellman has been old school no transparency for decades. Even when our football team has been exciting the last few years, our stadium looks like a tomb. Almost as bad as Duke. That's because Wellman has focused on corporate and afluent sponsorship. I have no doubt the new press box area is popping. But he has essentially ignored the general fan. It doesn't seem like we have any strategy to fill the corner seats. In basketball, Prosser took that role upon himself, which in hindsight is pretty remarkable. Clawson simply doesn't have time, and it may be the reason he leaves should we get a 9 to 10 win season going and we still can't get fan momentum.

Anyway, my argument for Wellman going has nothing to do with what he has done to now and everything to do with how likely he can knock a home run next hire vs. his replacement. Wellman's job is way more intriguing to a young AD than our basketball coaching position. IMO. Fill that one first.

Which is why Wake needs better people making decisions. Unfortunately that extends beyond athletics.

This is the primary reason Dino was fired. Whether there was actually any truth to it, the very allegation was just not something that could be tolerated at Wake Forest. This is what the whole "culture" reasoning was all about.

source.gif

And lol at sexual assault allegations not being tolerated at Wake.

Firing a coach coming off an NCAA bid who had a 67% winning percentage was dumb. I said it at the time and said that we risk having a decade of irrelevance. And here we are...….

I didn't but you were correct. The whole thing is just Shakepereanly awful. Prosser makes us totally relevant - a top 10 program. Not the very best bench coach in the world, but the very best coach Wake Forest could want if mentoring, success and enthusiasm are three of the most important variables. He literally took it upon himself to gin up student enthusiasm and create our environment that competed and was more geniune than Duke's (which I have always felt was fairly lame with their chant sheets,etc.). He was an absolute threat to Coach K because Prosser was fun. Coach K is everything you want in a college coach EXCEPT fun.

Anywho, if I was the AD, I'd want to find a guy who can coach, run tight practices, and had a personality that can at least play in the same arena as Prosser's.

The mystery coed was Redacted daughter also at wake. Nothing happened, but it looked bad and hiring redacted was a way to pay the legal settlement to a "friend" without everything getting out.

Incredible. So dino was... friends... with [Redacted]'s daughter and in order to "make it right (and pay the legal settlement)" [Redacted] keeps his daughter in school and accepts blood money... I mean a job to forget it all happened. Two classy men right there... (or a completely fabricated story hmmmm)

That's awesome.

Being from da Burgh, I've always believed Dino's Italian **catholic** style clashed with the WASPs at Wake, especially Wellman and probably some alumni. Skip was pretty witty and intellectual (and Irish) which covered up any issues they may have had with it, plus he fit Wake's intellectual culture. Dino did not and likely accepted some actions from players that the WASPs disapproved of. Without Skip there to smooth things over, things unraveled.

IMO Wellman fired Dino and found the most WASPy coach he could find.....[redacted]. There had to be major culture issues under Dino which is why Wellman kept stressing culture, but no one seems to know any specifics which is odd. We've never been given a rationale, other than lack of post-season success. When [redacted] didn't work out, Wellman started to attack Skip because a lot of people were then questioning the need to fire Dino if what we ended up with was worse. There were no real complaints from Wellman about lack of success either and a longer leash. Wellman then blamed the culture problem on Skip, which was pretty disgusting, but that fits the narrative.

I don't know anything but I always felt something like that happened.

Great another Dino/[] thread full of speculation and conjecture. Ball State Deac needs to go ahead and post the facts.

Great another Dino/[] thread full of speculation and conjecture. Ball State Deac needs to go ahead and post the facts.

Pretty obvious there are no facts. Just more conspiracy theories to feed the gullible. Need a full investigation anyway.

Some of the boosters didn’t like that Dino lost each of his ACC tourney games. You know that wasn’t fun for them. He didn’t seem to care about it enough to suit them.

C
Incredible. So dino was... friends... with [Redacted]'s daughter and in order to "make it right (and pay the legal settlement)" [Redacted] keeps his daughter in school and accepts blood money... I mean a job to forget it all happened. Two classy men right there... (or a completely fabricated story hmmmm)

Let’s go with so obviously fake news. That one would think on a wake board it wouldn’t need a disclaimer

Back