• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

Some of the boosters didn’t like that Dino lost each of his ACC tourney games. You know that wasn’t fun for them. He didn’t seem to care about it enough to suit them.

I think some people are forgetting ten years ago we had elite talent and expected to perform in the regular season and play to seed in the postseason. Dino had two late season swoons and he isn’t an ACC level head coach.

If firing Dino made it so no coach better than the idiot we hired would come here then it was a bad decision. If the AD 'picked' him and passed on other options, it doesn't make the firing a bad move.

As I recall there was a split decision here on whether it was a good move or a bad move, prior to knowing who was replacing him. Dino pretty much did less with more than any Wake coach I've seen. One Ish buzzer beater against an equally struggling Texas team doesn't equate to post season success.

When Dino was given the HC job, any discussion of him as the coach was pretty much beaten down on the boards back then. Reasons given ranged from keeping the top 10 recruiting class to the trauma the current players experienced. I think if you put value on keeping the top 10 class, interim is just as good as doing a coaching search. Wake didn't really have any options at the time since Skip passed in the summer. Our choices were Battle or Dino and interim or hiring.

I certainly do not know the whole story, but a guy who used to be on the BoT very recently told me that the NCAA came to Wellman/Hatch with some violations under Dino but agreed to sweep them under the rug if they got rid of him. No clue of the legitimacy of it. This guy is no Wellman fan, so I don't think he'd be covering for him.

This is nonsense! Never happened

When Dino was fired, I had a conversation with a friend where we agreed that he wasn't a good coach and it was ok to fire him but only if you have a slam dunk replacement lined up. Otherwise, it was pretty clear that Dino would have had a bad season the next year and you have plenty of cover to fire him at that point. We were excited to find out the awesome coach we were about to get.

When Dino was fired, I had a conversation with a friend where we agreed that he wasn't a good coach and it was ok to fire him but only if you have a slam dunk replacement lined up. Otherwise, it was pretty clear that Dino would have had a bad season the next year and you have plenty of cover to fire him at that point. We were excited to find out the awesome coach we were about to get.

Or as it turned out almost any other coach than the one we hired.

If firing Dino made it so no coach better than the idiot we hired would come here then it was a bad decision. If the AD 'picked' him and passed on other options, it doesn't make the firing a bad move.

As I recall there was a split decision here on whether it was a good move or a bad move, prior to knowing who was replacing him. Dino pretty much did less with more than any Wake coach I've seen. One Ish buzzer beater against an equally struggling Texas team doesn't equate to post season success.

When Dino was given the HC job, any discussion of him as the coach was pretty much beaten down on the boards back then. Reasons given ranged from keeping the top 10 recruiting class to the trauma the current players experienced. I think if you put value on keeping the top 10 class, interim is just as good as doing a coaching search. Wake didn't really have any options at the time since Skip passed in the summer. Our choices were Battle or Dino and interim or hiring.

Yep. I blame Wellman because he listened to a grieving fanbase instead of using common sense. Those of us who only wanted Dino as an interim were mocked as being disrespectful to Skip’s memory.

Wellman probably thought he had Brad Stevens lined up. Then there was a call from Boston. End of that story.

Wellman probably thought he had Brad Stevens lined up. Then there was a call from Boston. End of that story.

Stevens took the Celtics job three years after we fired Dino.

This was the thought process of a lot of people at the time - including me.

Sure, if you just want to be a dick. People making decisions, I am going to go out on a limb and say aren't weighing assclown arguments, they are weighing football, soccer, tennis, facilities, fundraising, etc...

So you can have the assclown discussion again, it just has no value other than venting. Repeatedly.

My argument is that it doesn't matter whether Wellman is or was shit, good or great. The question is can he get his first choice hire at the end of the year. Let's say he goes after the Buffalo coach. How likely is he to say yes? I don't think very likely. Oats has never had to recruit 4-star recruits in his life, or even had the opportunity to - can he get them? Sure. Would he want to try his luck at Wake Forest? In the ACC? And recruit against the big boys? With a dead man walking AD? Possibly.

But if I were Oats, I'd look at other jobs too where the relationship I started with the AD was going to matter 6 years down the road because s/he was still going to be there. ..

This is why I HOPE Wellman pushed the decision to fire Manning out a year. He knows this and wasn't ready March 2018. My FEAR is that he's not going to be ready 90 days from now either. We have zero indication he is even leaning out the door. That said, Wellman has been old school no transparency for decades. Even when our football team has been exciting the last few years, our stadium looks like a tomb. Almost as bad as Duke. That's because Wellman has focused on corporate and afluent sponsorship. I have no doubt the new press box area is popping. But he has essentially ignored the general fan. It doesn't seem like we have any strategy to fill the corner seats. In basketball, Prosser took that role upon himself, which in hindsight is pretty remarkable. Clawson simply doesn't have time, and it may be the reason he leaves should we get a 9 to 10 win season going and we still can't get fan momentum.

Anyway, my argument for Wellman going has nothing to do with what he has done to now and everything to do with how likely he can knock a home run next hire vs. his replacement. Wellman's job is way more intriguing to a young AD than our basketball coaching position. IMO. Fill that one first.

As to the bolded, basketball outweighs them all combined. Football: a decent amount of people care. Soccer: a few people care, and really only as a glimmer of hope/pride because basketball sucks. Tennis: nobody cares. Facilities: nobody cares if they don't lead to basketball wins. Fundraising: nobody cares if it doesn't lead to basketball wins.

Every single one of us would trade football, soccer, tennis, field hockey, badminton, diving, parcheesi, facilities, and fundraising combined to have a top-10 basketball program. None of that other shit matters, and the assclown is too stupid to recognize it.

As to the bolded, basketball outweighs them all combined. Football: a decent amount of people care. Soccer: a few people care, and really only as a glimmer of hope/pride because basketball sucks. Tennis: nobody cares. Facilities: nobody cares if they don't lead to basketball wins. Fundraising: nobody cares if it doesn't lead to basketball wins.

Every single one of us would trade football, soccer, tennis, field hockey, badminton, diving, parcheesi, facilities, and fundraising combined to have a top-10 basketball program. None of that other shit matters, and the assclown is too stupid to recognize it.

Good post.

This is gibberish. Stevens didn't hired by the Celtics until two years after we fired Dino. Stevens coached Butler for two more years.

The sooner you realize that Wake is far more concerned with real estate development and administrative bonuses, than they are academic or athletics, the quicker this will all make sense.

Hatch and Co. wants coaches who don't cause controversy, and won't draw unneeded attention to their corporation. Wellman is happy to oblige.

Any sort of amateurism and innocence is long gone from college athletics, even at little old Wake Forest. Its all about making the higher ups money. Just like everything else in life.

What you choose to do with that understanding is up to you.

Keep in my mind that 2010 was not the first time a Dino-coached team had a late season collapse; the year before WF was 16-0 and #1 in the f-ing nation in late January; had 4 future NBA players, and somehow managed to not just lose, but get dominated in the first round of the ACC Tournament (as the #2 seed!), and then stumbled into a 15 point loss to Cleveland State (#4 v. #13 game) in the first round in the NCAAs. Under Dino, WF went from #1 in the country to 0 for in the post season as huge favorites. Dino completely butchered the end of the 2009 season too.

Dino's post season record at WF was 1-5 in the post-season, and WF was a big favorite in all, but one of those games.

In this context, with major questions about Dino's coaching ability, the clear regression of talent on the roster (WF was going to suck in a major way had Dino returned in 2011; realize it may have been slightly better with Dino, but in 2011, WF went 1 for 17 in ACC games and was one of the worst teams in ACC history #259) and issues about Dino off the court came together to lead to the decision to cut ties. The decision to dump Dino was correct, but WF completely bungled in finding the next coach to lead the program, and WF then compounded that error in the Spring of 2014.

And yet Skip, with the best recruiting class in Wake Forest history finished dead last 12th in the ACC in 2005-06 and then next to last, tied for 10th in 2006-07. So coming off his spectacular 2004-05 regular season and the huge 2nd round upset by West Virginia in the NCAA's, this line of reasoning should apply to him also, right?

The sooner you realize that Wake is far more concerned with real estate development and administrative bonuses, than they are academic or athletics, the quicker this will all make sense.

Hatch and Co. wants coaches who don't cause controversy, and won't draw unneeded attention to their corporation.

Nope, not at all correct. You don’t compete for national championships with coaches that toe the company line. We have some badass coaches in several sports that have done a ton of winning, we just, unfortunately, don’t currently have that in basketball.

And the academic part? Your take on that is just as bad. I am currently working with an undergrad on a project, and this kid is so smart and motivated that it’s incredibly impressive. I’ve worked with other similar students at Wake over the past few years as well - the students are just as sharp as ever, if not more so.

Nope, not at all correct. You don’t compete for national championships with coaches that toe the company line. We have some badass coaches in several sports that have done a ton of winning, we just, unfortunately, don’t currently have that in basketball.

And the academic part? Your take on that is just as bad. I am currently working with an undergrad on a project, and this kid is so smart and motivated that it’s incredibly impressive. I’ve worked with other similar students at Wake over the past few years as well - the students are just as sharp as ever, if not more so.

There are tons of smart people who don't attend Wake. Some of the richest people in the world never even graduated college. Get your head out of your ass. There's a HUGE world out there!

There are tons of smart people who don't attend Wake. Some of the richest people in the world never even graduated college. Get your head out of your ass. There's a HUGE world out there!

Of course there are. What a weird response.

Back