• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Call out thread: Spill the beans on Gaudio/[name redacted]

I just realized that we rank 11th in the ACC in FT percentage, yet our coach continues to say that getting to the line is the priority on offense.

Lol. The same guy who said we'd hang our hat on defense, despite not owning a hat. Go over to Les's board to read the latest bit of coach speak from Manning. The guys rearranging deck chairs on the titanic made more sense than the words that come out of his mouth.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...ise-for-Manning-so-far-this-season-127834056/

Go back in time to Gudio and there was a real debate / discussion on one-and-dones vs. the Bulter model of 4 year players. Even Duke and K went towards the 4 year model, until Cal at KY showed everybody that having the best player is more important than having the oldest player.

RW bought in to the 5 star hearts model and got burned. We are still paying for that today.

Btw, Butler had a two-and-done and a three-and-done on that first final four team. They also had a couple other fringe NBA players.

About 4 years ago I went on a date with an academic advisor at wake. She was only a 5.5 maybe a 6 on a good day but I still hit it. I know I know I should have only been banging 9s and 10s in my twenties and then use my thirties to do mop up duty but hey I was drunk and alcohol is so magical that it makes even the gross 3s beautiful in my eyes. Anyways she told me that players on Mannings first and second recruiting classes had no desire for academics or classes. She also told me (wouldn't tell me who) that a player announced to her that he was majoring in pre NBA. Funny that culture king Wellman didn't change shit.

Just bullshit. Dino had his issues as a coach but you can't compare him to the disaster that was BZ. You can say all those players were trash, but those who make a living evaluating talent ranked them among the 10 best incoming classes in the nation. Just because a chef totally fucks up the dish does not mean all the ingredients were spoiled.

BZ should never have coached college kids. Dino spent his life doing so and was competent.

This times a billion!!!! Please do not throw Dino into the [ ] and DM petri dish. There are NO metrics where Dino is even in the same garbage dump of stats that Buzzzola and Danny boy have accumulated. Ws, postseason appearances, postseason Ws, etc. You can make all the excuses, assumptions, etc. you want but facts are facts and Dino runs circles around them both. Dino should be in WF HoF if you use those 2 atrocities as any type of baseline as he reached a #1 rank which don't believe any other WF coach reached. And I guarantteeeeeee you Dino doesn't not lose to Stetson if given another year.

This times a billion!!!! Please do not throw Dino into the [ ] and DM petri dish. There are NO metrics where Dino is even in the same garbage dump of stats that Buzzzola and Danny boy have accumulated. Ws, postseason appearances, postseason Ws, etc. You can make all the excuses, assumptions, etc. you want but facts are facts and Dino runs circles around them both. Dino should be in WF HoF if you use those 2 atrocities as any type of baseline as he reached a #1 rank which don't believe any other WF coach reached. And I guarantteeeeeee you Dino doesn't not lose to Stetson if given another year.

Skip led us to be ranked #1 in November 2004 after winning the Pre-Season NIT. We held the spot for 2 weeks until losing to Illinois in the ACC-Big 10

I wouldn't pretend to have any sources, but from what I heard through the Deacon Club and around Winston, Wellman didn't want Dino recruiting one and done players who just used Wake to go to the NBA. He didn't like that people like Teague, JJ and AFA were leaving early for the NBA. Dino disagreed and Wellman fired him. If you hadn't noticed, our recruiting has fallen off the cliff since those days. I don't buy the "lack of postseason success" when he fired Dino after 3 years when [redacted] and Manning were given 5 years with way less success than Dino had in 3 years.

As for this notion that the 2010-2011 team would have finished with 8 wins, there's just no way to know. I honestly think Wake would post something like a 15-16 win season and win 4-6 ACC games. [redacted] had no ability to connect to anyone, and those guys who came in that year were not his recruits.

I just realized that we rank 11th in the ACC in FT percentage, yet our coach continues to say that getting to the line is the priority on offense.

You can't get out coached when the other team has all their starters foul out. Wait. Manning could find a way.

We have an assclown for an Athletic Director. That is the correct explanation and the only explanation that matters. Everything else is a poor attempt at rationalization and/or justification.

This. And all of the bullshit whisper campaigns that came after we’re to cover for his clusterfuck of a hire.

Um, either that OR yours is a dim over simplification that doesn't offer anything besides bile.

It's simply hard to argue that Wellman is an assclown, at least in the real world in the era of Clawson and Muuse and Bresky. It just is. He still needs to go because he's 70 and he won't be able to successfully make the next coaching hire after either two shitty ones or ones where are top choices all turned us down.

But you're not offering anything besides straight up assclowning.

Muuss was a former assistant who fell into Wellman’s lap and Mike Buddie did the heavy lifting on Clawson. Thank u, next.

Sure, if you just want to be a dick. People making decisions, I am going to go out on a limb and say aren't weighing assclown arguments, they are weighing football, soccer, tennis, facilities, fundraising, etc...

So you can have the assclown discussion again, it just has no value other than venting. Repeatedly.

My argument is that it doesn't matter whether Wellman is or was shit, good or great. The question is can he get his first choice hire at the end of the year. Let's say he goes after the Buffalo coach. How likely is he to say yes? I don't think very likely. Oats has never had to recruit 4-star recruits in his life, or even had the opportunity to - can he get them? Sure. Would he want to try his luck at Wake Forest? In the ACC? And recruit against the big boys? With a dead man walking AD? Possibly.

But if I were Oats, I'd look at other jobs too where the relationship I started with the AD was going to matter 6 years down the road because s/he was still going to be there. ..

This is why I HOPE Wellman pushed the decision to fire Manning out a year. He knows this and wasn't ready March 2018. My FEAR is that he's not going to be ready 90 days from now either. We have zero indication he is even leaning out the door. That said, Wellman has been old school no transparency for decades. Even when our football team has been exciting the last few years, our stadium looks like a tomb. Almost as bad as Duke. That's because Wellman has focused on corporate and afluent sponsorship. I have no doubt the new press box area is popping. But he has essentially ignored the general fan. It doesn't seem like we have any strategy to fill the corner seats. In basketball, Prosser took that role upon himself, which in hindsight is pretty remarkable. Clawson simply doesn't have time, and it may be the reason he leaves should we get a 9 to 10 win season going and we still can't get fan momentum.

Anyway, my argument for Wellman going has nothing to do with what he has done to now and everything to do with how likely he can knock a home run next hire vs. his replacement. Wellman's job is way more intriguing to a young AD than our basketball coaching position. IMO. Fill that one first.

If this is the case, it’s clear to Wellman that we need a new basketball coach. And if he’s smart enough to see that he will have trouble hiring a new one he should have already announced his retirement so his replacement can make the hire.

I wouldn’t trade football success for a top-10 b-ball program. Most of my friend group of fellow Wake alums wouldn’t either.

Your premise is bullshit to begin with since the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Really gripes my butt to see people assume that Wake basketball was going to tank in Gaudio's 4th season just because BZ screwed everything up.

Dino was not a great coach but he was competent. He played a pack line defense that would have kept Wake in most of their games. He had a top 10 recruiting class coming in that BZ had no ability to connect with. I suspect Wake would have won 15-16 games (what used to be a typical down year for Wake). It would still have been difficult to fire Gaudio based on his 4 year won/loss record.

Agreed.

I'd say being one of the best 25 teams in the nation out of 350+ over a period that stretches multiple decades is the definition of long and successful. Elite? No. On the next tier just below the elites, yes. Do I think we can do better, absolutely. But if anything Wake fans have downplayed just how successful our basketball team was pre-[Redacted] as opposed to overplaying as you suggest.

Agreed.

Back