• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Open letter to Mr. Shah

Thanks for that Paul. The thing I worry about is Wellman making childress interim coach and he makes some improvement (not hard to do over Danny) and then Wellman decides to keep childress as head coach instead of finding a real coach.

I will forever consider Randolph an icon for what he did for Wake hoops. But he has no business being an acc head coach. His name would never come up if he hadn't played here. Let ernie lead the show for the rest of the season. Then launch a search for a permanent replacement

Good letter Paul , that accurately reflects Manning’s shortcomings. I am still hopeful that Nestor was put in place by Wellman for two reasons—to show the BOT that he is giving Manning every benefit of the doubt by bringing in better b-ball IQ help, or that Nestor could be the interim if things really go south during the conference schedule. I would still be very surprised if anything happens before March, but bad losses at home could accelerate the plan

I am open and honest about who I am and where I am. My name is Drew Brown. My office is Greensboro Law Center. The only irony here is you aren’t man enough to do the same. You are the problem.

I’m not the problem, because I realize that I, like 99.99% of Wake fans, have no leverage to make a change happen. The real problem are people like Mit, who do have that leverage and chose not to exercise it.

10,000 letters signed by alumni have zero impact. 1 check NOT signed by Mit does.

if the powers that be haven't witnessed enough to fire manning at year end (they should have done it a while ago but we know they won't mid-season), then why ever fire the guy? literally. just let manning coach until he dies on the bench. fuck it all to hell.
what new information could possibly be introduced to generate a "well that's the last straw" reaction? the bad thing for all of us is that a black swan could occur (aka a few upsets) and he gets a lifetime extension.

I’m not the problem, because I realize that I, like 99.99% of Wake fans, have no leverage to make a change happen. The real problem are people like Mit, who do have that leverage and chose not to exercise it.

10,000 letters signed by alumni have zero impact. 1 check NOT signed by Mit does.

Just give money to the problem and get a seat at the table.

Maybe some of the Board of Trustees like the idea of having Manning as our coach. It does sound cool. Kind of like Bret Fabre as our football coach. That sounds good. And I can get a picture signed by Bret.

Of course we go 2-10 every year with Favre as HC, but that’s not important to ME.

I will forever consider Randolph an icon for what he did for Wake hoops. But he has no business being an acc head coach. His name would never come up if he hadn't played here. Let ernie lead the show for the rest of the season. Then launch a search for a permanent replacement

What would be the point of having Nestor lead the team for the rest of the season? He's not going to get consideration for the head job here, he's at the tail end of his career and it's unlikely we would improve dramatically with Ernie in charge.

It could also simply be that folks are aware that well man cannot or should not make the next hire and are working to retire well man first. Thst is my hope anyway.

The hiring cycle for an AD is much longer than it is for a coach. An AD isn’t a unilateral decision.

At last week’s Deacon Club Past President meeting, no one was bold enough to address these issues. One asked why we no longer have lids for sodas. I confronted several present why they wouldn’t raise the elephant in the room. The answer was the same for all. “I didn’t want to offend and lose my access.”

Their friendships and their status mean more than winning in hoops. Based on what I have witnessed this is true for a heavy majority of our alums. It’s real easy to talk a big game on a chat board with a fake name. It’s another thing altogether to do so with your real name via social media, email, and letter. Even more, to say it respectfully in person is where real change can be made.

I salute the writer of this letter to Shah. You aren’t part of the problem. Those that aren’t willing to stick their neck out and join you are the problem.

It’s no secret I disagree with Mit on this front and several others. But I can assure you that he will see this. He’s called me personally after posts through the year and there is much upon which we do agree. He cares deeply about the basketball team in particular and is willing to do what he thinks needs to be done to improve it. We need more like him. The writer here is also such a person. Go make some money kid.

as he posts under the alias donaldross

Write all the nice, polite letters you want, make all the posts on this and other boards you want, firing Manning is simply addressing a symptom, not the problem.

Ron Wellman cannot be allowed to hire another head basketball coach. Unless a new AD is named who can choose Manning's replacement, all this agonizing over Manning is irrelevant.

Virginia Tech showed the way to do it if you are serious about winning in the nation's toughest league: Their president hired a new AD in Whit Babcock when it was the time to make a change, and Babcock's first order of business was to fire a basketball coach who was in over his head and bring in Buzz Williams. The results are obvious.

That SAME spring Wellman had to be forced to fire Bz and when he finally did it was too late to line up a good coach. After floundering around he made a desperation hire, someone who was clearly unqualified to be a head coach in the ACC. Like Tech, the results for Wake are obvious, but in the opposite direction.

Wellman should be asked nicely to retire, and if he refuses, the BOT should force the situation if Hatch won't.

From Donaldross:

At last week’s Deacon Club Past President meeting, no one was bold enough to address these issues. One asked why we no longer have lids for sodas. I confronted several present why they wouldn’t raise the elephant in the room. The answer was the same for all. “I didn’t want to offend and lose my access.”

Their friendships and their status mean more than winning in hoops. Based on what I have witnessed this is true for a heavy majority of our alums. It’s real easy to talk a big game on a chat board with a fake name. It’s another thing altogether to do so with your real name via social media, email, and letter. Even more, to say it respectfully in person is where real change can be made.

I salute the writer of this letter to Shah. You aren’t part of the problem. Those that aren’t willing to stick their neck out and join you are the problem.

It’s no secret I disagree with Mit on this front and several others. But I can assure you that he will see this. He’s called me personally after posts through the year and there is much upon which we do agree. He cares deeply about the basketball team in particular and is willing to do what he thinks needs to be done to improve it. We need more like him. The writer here is also such a person. Go make some money kid.

Drew thanks for the support. You have much greater access to the powers than I do so am at least glad someone is willing to address this situation head on. If you have a way I can send this directly to Mit I will certainly do so. My email was rejected as spam. I am afraid I have never been asked to serve on boards or committees because I do tend to speak my mind and have done so directly to Ron. He is always uncomfortable when he is forced to be in my presence. That being said I have always presented with complete respect but have never received a response. I know he knows he screwed up badly with the Bzz hire and we tried to support Manning. But it is over and we MUST get our program back.

Let me know if there is a way I can help your efforts.

Oh and BTW rchildress107 you are a real class act! Or ass hat whichever!

Last edited:
Back