• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Open letter to Mr. Shah

82deacman

Reaction score
I tried to send this to Mit Shah but was rejected as spam by his server.

Dear Mit: Quick introduction: Name is Paul Powell. I am a 1982 graduate of Wake Law and sent my son to Wake, graduating in 2008. Have been a Deacon Club member for 30 plus years and am in the top 100 in so far as rank. We have met once or twice through the years but nothing formal.

I have always been proud of Wake Basketball and even through some of the ups and downs of Carl Tacy, Bob Staak, Dave Odom, and Skip Prosser. I tried to remain fully engaged through the horrible decision of hiring Jeff [Redacted] and prevailed with logic and common sense for Ron to dismiss him after the third year. Of course he did not listen to me or anyone else and we endured one very unnecessary year of his tenure.

At the point he was finally terminated, I so hoped we would hire a proven winner to bring our once proud program back to its rightful position. The Manning hire was not the top of my list but I did support it and had high hopes he could get us back to winning and competing. Five years in and we have made little if any progress. We are no more competitive than we were when he took over. The fan support is almost nonexistent. The student support is nonexistent. Other than one decent (not great) year we have spent 10 long years in the wilderness and right now there is no real hope to get out.

Simply put Danny cannot coach defense, he cannot inspire the best effort from his players and he may be one of the worst in game coaches I have ever seen. But what is most concerning is that he cannot keep a team together. It is obvious that a large number of players do not want to play for him. I know all of the arguments about how times have changed and transfers are a part of the fabric. But the players we have lost have gone for inexplicable reasons. Doral and Bryant could have been all conference this year and on draft boards but chose to go overseas or to d league teams for no real legitimate reasons other than they just didn’t want to play for Wake and Danny. I could go on and on about the other transfer but it would only be piling on.

This has to stop and it should stop now. He needs to be terminated and an interim named. Then a REAL search done for a new head coach. One much more like our football coach who can inspire the absolute best out of each player and attract awesome student athletes to our basketball program. Just look at the hires at NCSU, Louisville (I think we could have gotten Chris Mack with some effort) and Va Tech. Two of the teams are ranked and the third just went into Chapel Hill and throttled the Tarheels.

This season cannot be saved in any way shape or form. Decisive action is needed. If you had an Executive on your outstanding management team that performed like Danny you would not hesitate to make a change and really shake things up. I run a 50 million dollar business myself with over 100 employees and I know I would have done something after last year’s debacle but certainly after the losses to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb.

I have written a similar note to Ron but of course he cannot respond to me. However, he can and will respond to you as a Trustee and major basketball program financial supporter.

I implore you to get involved with this and put us on a path to getting out of this swamp.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to seeing you at a Deacon Club event or possibly at the ACC Tournament this year.

Paul Powell

I fully signed it with return email and etc.

There's only one thing worse than a defeated Deacon fan, and that's a broke one.

What’s Mit Shah’s millions donated per loss now?

I tried to send this to Mit Shah but was rejected as spam by his server.

Dear Mit: Quick introduction: Name is Paul Powell. I am a 1982 graduate of Wake Law and sent my son to Wake, graduating in 2008. Have been a Deacon Club member for 30 plus years and am in the top 100 in so far as rank. We have met once or twice through the years but nothing formal.

I have always been proud of Wake Basketball and even through some of the ups and downs of Carl Tacy, Bob Staak, Dave Odom, and Skip Prosser. I tried to remain fully engaged through the horrible decision of hiring Jeff [Redacted] and prevailed with logic and common sense for Ron to dismiss him after the third year. Of course he did not listen to me or anyone else and we endured one very unnecessary year of his tenure.

At the point he was finally terminated, I so hoped we would hire a proven winner to bring our once proud program back to its rightful position. The Manning hire was not the top of my list but I did support it and had high hopes he could get us back to winning and competing. Five years in and we have made little if any progress. We are no more competitive than we were when he took over. The fan support is almost nonexistent. The student support is nonexistent. Other than one decent (not great) year we have spent 10 long years in the wilderness and right now there is no real hope to get out.

Simply put Danny cannot coach defense, he cannot inspire the best effort from his players and he may be one of the worst in game coaches I have ever seen. But what is most concerning is that he cannot keep a team together. It is obvious that a large number of players do not want to play for him. I know all of the arguments about how times have changed and transfers are a part of the fabric. But the players we have lost have gone for inexplicable reasons. Doral and Bryant could have been all conference this year and on draft boards but chose to go overseas or to d league teams for no real legitimate reasons other than they just didn’t want to play for Wake and Danny. I could go on and on about the other transfer but it would only be piling on.

This has to stop and it should stop now. He needs to be terminated and an interim named. Then a REAL search done for a new head coach. One much more like our football coach who can inspire the absolute best out of each player and attract awesome student athletes to our basketball program. Just look at the hires at NCSU, Louisville (I think we could have gotten Chris Mack with some effort) and Va Tech. Two of the teams are ranked and the third just went into Chapel Hill and throttled the Tarheels.

This season cannot be saved in any way shape or form. Decisive action is needed. If you had an Executive on your outstanding management team that performed like Danny you would not hesitate to make a change and really shake things up. I run a 50 million dollar business myself with over 100 employees and I know I would have done something after last year’s debacle but certainly after the losses to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb.

I have written a similar note to Ron but of course he cannot respond to me. However, he can and will respond to you as a Trustee and major basketball program financial supporter.

I implore you to get involved with this and put us on a path to getting out of this swamp.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to seeing you at a Deacon Club event or possibly at the ACC Tournament this year.

Paul Powell

I fully signed it with return email and etc.

Stopped reading after this. But I guess it’s fitting that someone who didn’t call for redacted’s job till year three thinks Mit Shah might save us.

At last week’s Deacon Club Past President meeting, no one was bold enough to address these issues. One asked why we no longer have lids for sodas. I confronted several present why they wouldn’t raise the elephant in the room. The answer was the same for all. “I didn’t want to offend and lose my access.”

Their friendships and their status mean more than winning in hoops. Based on what I have witnessed this is true for a heavy majority of our alums. It’s real easy to talk a big game on a chat board with a fake name. It’s another thing altogether to do so with your real name via social media, email, and letter. Even more, to say it respectfully in person is where real change can be made.

I salute the writer of this letter to Shah. You aren’t part of the problem. Those that aren’t willing to stick their neck out and join you are the problem.

It’s no secret I disagree with Mit on this front and several others. But I can assure you that he will see this. He’s called me personally after posts through the year and there is much upon which we do agree. He cares deeply about the basketball team in particular and is willing to do what he thinks needs to be done to improve it. We need more like him. The writer here is also such a person. Go make some money kid.

Stopped reading after this. But I guess it’s fitting that someone who didn’t call for redacted’s job till year three thinks Mit Shah might save us.
Poor guy was so wrong about Manning the only times he's popped in this season is to reply to some comment about Bz. Poor fella.

Mit, if you are reading this, please be aware that it is a near unanimous opinion from those that still care at all.

There is nothing to be gained by letting Manning finish this dead season. A new coach could at the very least breathe life into the program for the future.

This is not good for Manning either. He needs to be allowed to do something useful with his life, whether that is an assistant coach or something else that he may have a passion for.

Poor guy was so wrong about Manning the only times he's popped in this season is to reply to some comment about Bz. Poor fella.

I thought this thread was about Mit Shah. I pop in on threads I find interesting and as time allows. Both have been in short supply recently. Sorry to disappoint.

And I wasn’t wrong about Manning.

I thought this thread was about Mit Shah. I pop in on threads I find interesting and as time allows. Both have been in short supply recently. Sorry to disappoint.

And I wasn’t wrong about Manning.

Makes sense. Manning is not longer shillable.

The non responses here are telling. Let’s be frank. We suck because we graduate folks unwilling to change it.

Thanks for that Paul. The thing I worry about is Wellman making childress interim coach and he makes some improvement (not hard to do over Danny) and then Wellman decides to keep childress as head coach instead of finding a real coach.

Back