• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Randolph Childress

I for one do not see how Manning and Randolph could get along. Manning is a zombie, and Randolph will go down in history as the most fiercest competitor in Wake basketball history. If he where head coach I can not see this team seeming do lackluster in effort. The man hated to lose. Manning seems to be the type that likes to win, but to me R.C seems to love to win, and hate to lose. If you watch pro athlete's they are just all smiles as soon as the game is over win or lose.

For a man who hates to lose, Randolph sure has been okay with collecting paychecks while supporting losing teams.

For a man who hates to lose, Randolph sure has been okay with collecting paychecks while supporting losing teams.

Correct. I think people’s love of Chill the player has blinded them to his deficiencies as a coach. The fiercely competitive coaching gene would have revealed itself by now. He’s not that different from Manning.

Correct. I think people’s love of Chill the player has blinded them to his deficiencies as a coach. The fiercely competitive coaching gene would have revealed itself by now. He’s not that different from Manning.

I mean, nobody talks about how pathetic he looks just sulking every damn game. Our whole staff from Manning to Childress is just disgraceful.

He doesn’t even get excited when his kid makes a good play.

He doesn’t even get excited when his kid makes a good play.

It's really weird. I can't imagine watching a minute of Wake basketball over the last five years and believing that Randolph deserves a shot leading this team.

It would be awful. What if they won a couple of unexpected games and then Ron decided to give Randolph the job because the fan base loves him. Fuck. We need a wide open international search for the best possible coach, not an internal promotion.

So true and it just shows that we have now had two past great players from the same team that could not help our teams improve and get the job done. Mr Childress has not helped at all with improvement of our guard play since he has been at Wake Forest. If he is ever going to be a major college head coach he needs to go cut his teeth somewhere smaller where he has to make major decisions in both recruiting and in game decisions. Just putting an ex great player from your school on your bench for a few years does not make them ready to be your head coach as an interim or full time. We all love this guy to death but he is not our answer. It must come from somewhere in the mid-major ranks from somebody who has consistently done it.

To act like some combination of coach and dad.

Pretty sure you don't promote the assistant from teams that have been losing for 9-10 years.

This board places more emphasis on body language as a measure of coaching ability than any group of sports fans out there. So bizarre.

This board places more emphasis on body language as a measure of coaching ability than any group of sports fans out there. So bizarre.

I guess that's what happens when W's and L's don't really seem to apply anymore.

Danny and Randolph have two things in common and that is that both were great college players and both are terrible coaches!! I will always love and respect Randolph for his accomplishments as a player here but he's not exactly Mr. Personality. In no way,shape, or form should he be given the head job or interim job or have a new coach be forced to keep him on staff. I had a high school coach tell me that the practice he attended was one of the worst he had ever witnessed and Randolph was a big part of the problem. I don't know how much longer we'll have to endure Manning, but when he goes Randolph needs to go with him!!!

I had a high school coach tell me that the practice he attended was one of the worst he had ever witnessed and Randolph was a big part of the problem.

What else did the coach tell you about this practice?

No shit. What is Chill supposed to do- tell the big stooge to sit down and let him coach? You don’t see many assistants on any team do much of the talking/coaching. FWIW, it appears to me that Chill is exasperated by Manning’s coaching decisions as he sits on the bench. Most of the time, he looks like he is about to throw up.

It would be awful. What if they won a couple of unexpected games and then Ron decided to give Randolph the job because the fan base loves him. Fuck. We need a wide open international search for the best possible coach, not an internal promotion.
Two most likely scenarios:

1) He's no improvement at all, we endure 5 more years of sucking before firing a Wake legend, forever tainting his legacy.

2) He's an improvement to middle of the pack ACC, but because he's a legend, we can't fire him, and Wake is stuck at mediocre for the next 15-20 years.

The scenario where an inexperienced coach, who has learned under the tutelage of two of the worst in the business, turns Wake around and takes us back to where we were pre-[Redacted], or better, is so exceedingly unlikely that it isn't worth considering. There are so many other more likely paths to success. Nothing but unchecked emotion would cause anyone to think otherwise.

Totally agree. I also would expect Randolph to treat his son like any other kid on the team. No dad. Just coach.

Back