• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch projected to be a 5th round pick

Dortch is making the correct call imo. You can’t do much better than All American. Additionally he will be in the states and if he wants to finish up schooling at Wake during a summer session I am sure that Clawson would help make that happen.

He has proven all he can in college and the upside to the NFL contract is a real thing. I fully expect him to make a few million before he is done in the pros. There is a place for his skill set in the NFL. Almost every team has an undersized guy who is almost unguardable in iso sets. Dortch fits that role perfectly and he is also a plus return man.

Not sure what is worth $200-300K?

The point is he could stay one more year, get his degree and have the same earning potential in the NFL and in a world outside the NFL should the NFL not work out. Now he has to take 16% to 20% of the gross amount of his bonus (that's before taxes), to pay tuition, board, books, etc. to come back if he decides to complete his degree at Wake.

Ok, so he is being projected by one agency as a 5th round selection, prior to combine and workouts. Thats good, at least he is getting some interest. But let's take a look at a similar player from the 2018 Draft. Trey Quinn, 5'11 200 lb, depending where you look, WR and return man. First two seasons at LSU with 22 receptions, then transfers to SMU after sitting out a year, and catches 114 balls for 1236 and 13 tds. His return numbers aren't as good as Dortch's but he had more catches, more yards, and more TDs. Quinn declares early, got a lot of interest from teams as a slot player, good combine, and he gets drafted with the final pick of the draft by the Redskins.

Would anything change had Dortch come back another year? Maybe he puts on more weight, consensus AA for All Purpose and puts up more record breaking numbers, but he still would be 5'9, sub 200 lb. He will only be 20 years old at the time of the draft.

There is no clear cut answer right now about whether this was the right decision or not. If he gets drafted and makes money he made the right choice, if he doesn't get drafted and doesn't catch on with a team, there is no guarantee that another year or two in college would have changed that. I am sad to see him leave Mother So Dear, as he was a truly exciting player, but we don't know what information he has. It will be interesting to see how this process goes for him, wish him the bet, but I am more than a little cautious about this being an out and out success.

The point is he could stay one more year, get his degree and have the same earning potential in the NFL and in a world outside the NFL should the NFL not work out. Now he has to take 16% to 20% of the gross amount of his bonus (that's before taxes), to pay tuition, board, books, etc. to come back if he decides to complete his degree at Wake.

So finish up back in Richmond at VCU at age 25. WGAF ?

I believe this is wrong. In situations when athletes leave early and want to come back and finish school later, their scholarship (going to school for free) is still honored.

But he gets one more year of potential earnings in the NFL, where careers are shorter than any other sport, which more than offsets the cost of coming back to Wake (or finishing his degree elsewhere for even less $$). Not to mention the risk of missing out on a NFL career at all as the result of injury.

I believe this is wrong. In situations when athletes leave early and want to come back and finish school later, their scholarship (going to school for free) is still honored.

You are correct. This is usually the case, although athletic scholarships are still technically year to year so I guess in a situation where the break wasn’t pretty a school could choose not to honor it. Also, it isn’t technically at athletic scholarship at that point I don’t think so the school can do whatever it wants. Yes, however, you can usually finish for free.

I don't think going or coming back is a "bad choice" in this case. By leaving with a presumed 5th round grade, he's avoiding injury, betting that he can make a couple teams fall in love with him during the combine/workouts, hopefully move up, and start earning NFL money on a roster next year. By returning, he's finishing his degree at Wake, hanging out with his friends, hoping to avoid injury, and betting that he can do enough on the field (likely with increased NFL attention) to improve his draft position by 2-3 rounds.

If I'm not mistaken, Wake is now offering "lifetime scholarships". So, Greg can easily return to graduate.

The only way this is a mistake is if he does not make an NFL roster, like Abbate. Abbate gave up one more year of playing collegiate football for no meaningful monetary return. I do not think coming back would have improved Abbate's NFL prospects.

The only way this is a mistake is if he does not make an NFL roster, like Abbate. Abbate gave up one more year of playing collegiate football for no meaningful monetary return. I do not think coming back would have improved Abbate's NFL prospects.

:squint:

He could play in that new football league and catch passes from Wolford again !

Am I missing something? I don't blame Abbate for giving it a shot - it just didn't work out. Heck, maybe he was happy to be done withe college football.

You said he made a mistake then that he made the right decision.

It’s always the athletes right to decide to leave early clearly. Sometimes it seems to be an obviously poor decision. This isn’t one of those times imo. I have to believe he is leaving with the full support of the staff even if they are sad to see him go.

Finishing up ones education is not a guarantee but in this case with the impact he has made I can’t imagine that the staff would do everything in their power to help him finish when he wants to return and finish.

You said he made a mistake then that he made the right decision.

I said the only way it could be a mistake is if he didn't make a roster, as he would give up his last year of eligibility for nothing. Having said that, coming back was not likely to improve his draft stock. Both of those things can be true.

The vast majority of college football players return year-after-year with virtually no chance of improving their draft stock (or meaningfully increasing the likelihood they get picked) but they presumably come back for other reasons. Maybe they want a college degree, maybe they like playing football, maybe they like wearing tiny wristbands around their arms to make their muscles look bigger.

It is possible Abbate was simply done playing college football and had no interest in returning, in which case, fine. I think it is also entirely possible he would have rather had that extra year back to play one more season rather than never playing again.

Keep in mind Hines played for three seasons and graduated. Dortch may not have much more to do to graduate.

Back