• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch projected to be a 5th round pick

You said he made a mistake then that he made the right decision.

From Wikipedia

At the conclusion of the 2006 season, Abbate decided to enter the 2007 NFL Draft. "Unless someone could promise me if I went back that I'd grow three inches, the decision was pretty easy," Abbate said.[citation needed] "I could have gone back and been productive again, had another 100-plus tackles. But I'd be in the same situation with my height as a knock." Abbate was not drafted due to tearing his hamstring at the NFL combine but following the draft he signed a three-year contract with the Houston Texans as a free agent. The Texans converted him from linebacker to fullback.

Abbate was placed on season-ending injured reserve on September 1, 2007, with an ankle injury. He was waived after a failed physical on August 29, 2008. However, he was re-signed shortly after on March 1. He was waived again on July 22, 2009.

Abbate was re-signed by the Texans again on August 24, 2008 after wide receiver Harry Williams was placed on injured reserve.

Seems more like it was unfortunate injury timing and physical limitations rather than a poor choice.

From Wikipedia

Seems more like it was unfortunate injury timing and physical limitations rather than a poor choice.

I am not sure if the hamstring prevented him from being drafted - I would suspect it had more to do with physical limitations, which as he said, were not going to change. So by coming back, while his draft stock may not change, he would get another year of playing football and would then be presumably presented with the same long odds of making an NFL roster he faced the previous year. Whether he would do it differently now, I don't know.

Unlike basketball with several global leagues to chose from, in football, you run the risk of never playing again if you aren't good enough for the NFL.

The point is he could stay one more year, get his degree and have the same earning potential in the NFL and in a world outside the NFL should the NFL not work out. Now he has to take 16% to 20% of the gross amount of his bonus (that's before taxes), to pay tuition, board, books, etc. to come back if he decides to complete his degree at Wake.

Not sure why this didn't occur to me but you would still have at least $100k in your pocket in the "leaving early" scenario. Unless he can improve his stock, he should go.

Sometimes it takes me a minute to get there people. :)

I believe this is wrong. In situations when athletes leave early and want to come back and finish school later, their scholarship (going to school for free) is still honored.

Do you have proof of this at Wake? It has only been a recent development that some schools are doing guaranteed 4 year scholarships. The year to year scholarship thing is how many football programs are able to push kids who don't perform out.

Do you have proof of this at Wake? It has only been a recent development that some schools are doing guaranteed 4 year scholarships. The year to year scholarship thing is how many football programs are able to push kids who don't perform out.

It’s usually a discretionary issue. It is by no means guaranteed. If a guy leaves on bad terms they are really helped when they try to return. A guy like Dortch would have no problems finishing up imo.

It’s a good recruiting tool. Clawson could saying “Did you see Greg Dortch on Sunday? He had two TDs. He came back and took classes in the Spring and finished his degree.

The football season sets up well for players to leave early and come back because they’re off for most of the Spring semester.

It’s a good recruiting tool. Clawson could saying “Did you see Greg Dortch on Sunday? He had two TDs. He came back and took classes in the Spring and finished his degree.

The football season sets up well for players to leave early and come back because they’re off for most of the Spring semester.

Agree

It is a risky proposition, especially for a receiver who has two more years of eligibility and weights 170 lbs in pads. A record number of underclassmen (135) entered their names in to the 2019 NFL Draft. There are 256 picks in the NFL Draft, so if all the eligible underclassmen were to be drafted that would be 52.7% of the players taken. This is unlikely however as last year 37 of the 119 players underclassmen who declared went undrafted, approximately 31%. These stats do not take into account those players that were signed after going undrafted.

Something I had failed to fully consider, that the Blogger So Dear article reminded me of, Dortch could have died after the Louisville game. Such a freak injury has to impact your thinking about whether to take the chance to go pro or not. Thinking back on this now, I really should have seen it coming through out the year.

There is a lot less risk if it is accurate that Dortch will have the cost to complete his degree covered. Dortch could not have had a better two years at WF (except for the injury); he has proven to essentially be uncoverable on the college level, and it's not like he is going to get significantly bigger over the next couple of years; he always be a small receiver. If Dortch makes the NFL, he will earn fat cash for two additional years due to the decision to enter the draft. If he does not make the NFL or if he career is short or whenever he calls it quits, he can get his degree whenever he deems appropriate. This isn't a case of player that needs two more years of development for the NFL to be interested. Greg Dortch is pretty close to a finished product: shifty smart elusive receiver and return man with great hands.

Greg will get drafted

Is he more likely going to gain muscle in a professional training program with full-time nutritionists and world-class facilities (and a shit ton of money in his pocket) when his only job is to concentrate on football or being apart of wake football for another year?

Greg will get drafted

Is he more likely going to gain muscle in a professional training program with full-time nutritionists and world-class facilities (and a shit ton of money in his pocket) when his only job is to concentrate on football or being apart of wake football for another year?

A quick addition to put some real numbers on this from Fox Business:

The 256th and final pick of the 2018 NFL Draft – known in league circles as “Mr. Irrelevant” – will earn an estimated $2.48 million over four years and a signing bonus of roughly $69,000.

For 2019, fifth round picks estimated bonuses are between $250,000 and $350,000. Total four year package is around $2.8 Million.

If Greg is a fifth round pick, he will be doing OK for a "college dropout.";)

A quick addition to put some real numbers on this from Fox Business:

For 2019, fifth round picks estimated bonuses are between $250,000 and $350,000. Total four year package is around $2.8 Million.

If Greg is a fifth round pick, he will be doing OK for a "college dropout.";)

I can't edit the above, so I'll quote myself to add:

If I understand NFL salary cap math, fifth round pick Greg Dortch would end up with somewhere around $850,000 cash his first year, assuming he makes the 53 man roster as a rookie. Salary differentials are pretty flat that far down the scale.

For comparison, the top pick in the 2019 draft will get a signing bonus of $23,411,152 and a four year total package of $34,912,834. And work in AZ unless there is a trade.

Tough odds for a guy who has played a season and a half, under 6'0 tall and less than 200 lbs. I hope to watch him on Sundays, but also, CFL salaries are about $50k a year.

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/

This doesn't seem too favorable:
"Underclassmen who officially declare for the 2019 NFL Draft through the NFL office will be considered by the selection committee in late January. The NFL Scouting Combine does not encourage players to leave school early and there are no guarantees that an underclassmen who declares for the NFL Draft will be invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine. Underclassmen who have officially declared should send their email address as outlined above and may call the Combine office beginning Tuesday, January 29, 2019 to check on their status.

Any questions, please contact the Combine office at (317) 687-8100 or (800) 331-9135."

Tough odds for a guy who has played a season and a half, under 6'0 tall and less than 200 lbs. I hope to watch him on Sundays, but also, CFL salaries are about $50k a year.

So there is a 52.4% chance he gets a guaranteed contract and a 75.4% chance he gets drafted?

From a guy whose playing style fits the modern-NFL, was an All-American, and can provide a team kickoff and punt return options. I'll take those chances.

http://www.nflcombine.net/players/

This doesn't seem too favorable:
"Underclassmen who officially declare for the 2019 NFL Draft through the NFL office will be considered by the selection committee in late January. The NFL Scouting Combine does not encourage players to leave school early and there are no guarantees that an underclassmen who declares for the NFL Draft will be invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine. Underclassmen who have officially declared should send their email address as outlined above and may call the Combine office beginning Tuesday, January 29, 2019 to check on their status.

Any questions, please contact the Combine office at (317) 687-8100 or (800) 331-9135."

Seems like boilerplate language to make sure the NFL can’t be accused of enticing players to declare.

he's not going to get taller or significantly heavier, and he wants to play in the NFL - let him go

Maybe Dortch could go on to rule-book anonymity for being the forgotten participant of the greatest missed call in league history?

On Dan Patrick’s show this a.m. none of his sidekicks could answer the question “what is the name of the New Orleans receiver who was involved in the play?”

All of this was in the context of the new rule which will certainly result and in whose name said rule would be named. It was decided that the rule would end up in the name of the offending defender (sic) :)

And the WR.. the 5’7 - 168 pound Tommylee Lewis out of Northern Illinois.

So there is a 52.4% chance he gets a guaranteed contract and a 75.4% chance he gets drafted?

From a guy whose playing style fits the modern-NFL, was an All-American, and can provide a team kickoff and punt return options. I'll take those chances.

590239322f6ae426018b4b50-640-480.png

Late round picks get cut every year right after camp and some never play a down. The only guaranteed portion for them is the signing bonus which ranges from $600k in the 4th round to $60k in the 7th round. Yes, smaller slot WR's are more predominant in the league, just look at the Senior bowl, three of them had very good weeks, but even Isabella and Renfrow are significantly bigger. Even Penny Hart of Georgia State who got alot of publicity this week is bigger. Not to take away from Dortch, but he was an All-American for being a returner and not a WR. Returner is not as valued as it once was.

Greg is training in Orlando, the same location as the Pro Bowl, he posted a picture of himself and Saquan this weekend, and the difference in size was astounding. Greg will not even be 21 by the time of the NFL, he could have used the next year or two to fill out and potentially play a full season. His production isn't what concerns me, its his size and ability to stay on the field.

Back