• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch projected to be a 5th round pick

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Saw on a web site that Greg was projected to go in the 5th round. Projected as a receiver,

Yeah good projection as I see him probably playing receiver in the NFL too.

If he's a combo freak, he might move up a round or two. He's making the right decision.

Should have stayed one more year. Understand his injury issue but that could happen in camp. He would have been AA on almost every service next year and moved up dramatically.

Or he could have come back, had another freak injury, ruptured his liver, and never played football again and gotten nothing.

Should have stayed one more year. Understand his injury issue but that could happen in camp. He would have been AA on almost every service next year and moved up dramatically.

Uhh, even after next year he'll still be 5'7" with average WR speed. He's not moving up.

I agree, assuming 5th round ends up being correct. Would have had significantly more hype and been much more “on the radar” for scouts. Dominate again, have a couple teams fall in love with you, and end up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Hopefully, he’ll crush the combine/workouts and get picked higher. Are we even sure he’ll get invited to the combine?

How can you move up "dramatically" from being 1st and 2nd team AA like he was this year?

If he gets hurt in camp this year, he'd still get his signing money and paid for a year.

Coming back would have been a terrible gamble.

It’s not a black and white issue. I’ll never consider a kid wanting to get his degree, continue enjoying college, and believing in his ability to improve his draft position as a “terrible decision”. Could it work out poorly? Of course. It could also work out great.

Injury issues. Made the correct decision. Keeps getting hurt and might not get drafted. He will be just fine.

don't these guys have some insurance?

The general insurance is very tough to collect on. This is especially true for someone not projected to be a top pick.

Draft slot insurance is very expensive.

It’s not a black and white issue. I’ll never consider a kid wanting to get his degree, continue enjoying college, and believing in his ability to improve his draft position as a “terrible decision”. Could it work out poorly? Of course. It could also work out great.

He can always come back and get his degree.

I agree, assuming 5th round ends up being correct. Would have had significantly more hype and been much more “on the radar” for scouts. Dominate again, have a couple teams fall in love with you, and end up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Hopefully, he’ll crush the combine/workouts and get picked higher. Are we even sure he’ll get invited to the combine?

Meh. All those outcomes could happen this year.

If I'd been offered a job making good money prior to my senior year, I'd have left too; and I'm pretty damn sure the rest of you would too. Many athletes have shown that you can come back and finish your degree. We're all selfish because we want them to stay longer, but even if he makes the league minimum, it'll most likely be considerably more than he'd have made just out of college.

not everyone is selfish. just the dummies.

If I'd been offered a job making good money prior to my senior year, I'd have left too; and I'm pretty damn sure the rest of you would too. Many athletes have shown that you can come back and finish your degree. We're all selfish because we want them to stay longer, but even if he makes the league minimum, it'll most likely be considerably more than he'd have made just out of college.

Add to this, most jobs you can do for decades. Being a pro athlete absolutely has a shelf life. Football is the worst.

Back